1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

transporting rifle in sports holdall

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by bcham, Jun 24, 2012.

1. bcham

bcham Busy Member

a friend off mine from my local pub. as a farm and he said i could shoot on his land,only thing is i have no transport,so im thinking of taking the stock off my bsa lightning,and putting both halves in a large sports bag,then catching bus to the farm,as i dont want to carry it in a gunslip and get funny looks,
    and putting the rifle back together there,it should only take a minute or two just 3 screws to tighten up,
    is that legal

2. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

i carry my verminator in a rucksack, its covered and not visible to the public so perfectly legal.

3. Banshee

Banshee Engaging Member

Effort, but very interested in the answer to this!!!!

4. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

your better off using the gun slip. seen some nasty accidents like broken stocks etc . theres no issue with public transport provided you take precautions

5. Banshee

Banshee Engaging Member

Such as?

6. bcham

bcham Busy Member

ill wrap both halfs in a towel so cant see any damage happening.

7. ithica -john

ithica -john Posting Addict

buy one of those trigger guard lock thingys

any 'legal' inspecting person can then see the rifle is in-operable

sorted

8. the logun-ator

the logun-ator "can i,? wey aye man!"

i cant see any problems with that at all...its covered and its in bits..you dont have to transport your weapon in a specific gun slip/case.in fact ive been told on a few occasions having the gun covered isnt a legal requirement,but it is ''advised''.... obviously i wouldnt climb on a bus with a verminator on full show strapped to my back,lol...
    the thing is,if its an a ''head bag'' would it then be classed as a concealed weapon??

9. ithica -john

the thing is,if its an a ''head bag'' would it then be classed as a concealed weapon??

if that's a serious comment [no offense] .............you may be right

a gun in a slip is exactly that - and so legal

add a trigger lock and i reckon you are covered

10. the logun-ator

the logun-ator "can i,? wey aye man!"

no offence taken...yes ive often wondered what would be classed as a concealed weapon?...a rifle in bits stuck in a hold all may be just that.
    i cant get a bag/case to fit mine so i stick it in a modified DPM army pants leg,when im at my shoot out it pops and the make shif gun slip either roles up and goes in my pocket or is used as a head/face cover or a scarf...you cant do that with a padded gun bag.

11. Horne92

Horne92 Well-Known Member

I shoot at a club that is located in caves under the city center, as a result I have to walk through town from where I park to the club. I carry my rifle in a gun slip, have had a few funny looks but nothing more, a friendly smile helps.

When I was into airsoft there was a lot of talk about carrying the rifles in various bags, rucksacks etc. However the general opinion was that would be classed as a concealed weapon, however it is a grey area. You could argue that you were only trying to prevent scarring the public, however I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of any allegation. Therefore I carry it is a gun slip, magazine out of the gun and stored unloaded in a separate pocket and the same with the pellets, can't really do much else.

12. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Sod that, stick it in the slip and have done with it :p

I wondered around my local Co-op with my rimmie in a slip over my shoulder recently and nobody batted an eyelid..

13. ithica -john

14. Egg

Egg Major Poster

As long as none of the rifle's protruding from the bag I don't see any issues using a holdall. Some gunbags look like big holdalls, some look like musical instrument or some ther equally innocuous item. Saying that I'd imagine a decent guitar case could be used to carry a gun but that might be pushing things in terms of misrepresenting what you're carrying so probably best not to test this one out. Mind you if you check out the bags that come with some TDR's like the Air Arms or Logun-type rifles they're real Day of The Jackal affairs and nobody bothers with them. You could be carrying your work around in one for all most folk would know.

15. yojimbo

yojimbo Busy Member

There is 2 sides to this, on the one hand, your intention if stopped, is clear, you're on a bus whose route goes near a place you have a provable permission on, the law would indeed be an ass if it was used to misinterpret that as you concealing a weapon, on the other hand, you going to a shoot with a gun in a slip is entirely legal too, and while unusual to use public transport, is entirely legal, so in some ways, why worry? You'd get more grief for smoking on the bus. The only small possibility is that the bus company may have some small print in their conditions regarding carrying firearms and a clued up driver may kick you off.

I dont think overall it matters, but the more open you are about what you are doing, the less likely you will get trouble, its when you hide stuff that it looks suspicious, as another idea, you could always use a ballistics case, it's shape neutral, and only another shooter would know what it is.

16. jetski

jetski Keyboard Hero

As far as the law is concerned carrying it in your sports bag is completely legal. Whether it's in bits or not is irrelevant. Just make sure it's not loaded. This includes pellets in the mag WHEN the mag is in the gun. There is no law stating you have to have the gun covered however the bus company may have rules of their own. I wouldn't advise ringing them to ask as you will likely be talking to someone who doesn't know and is too busy to find out so to be safe rather than sorry will most likely tell you that it's not permitted

If I were in your situation I would use a standard slip as that's what they are for. Don't worry about what others think, no matter what you do in this world there will always be someone willing to judge you based on their own up their own ass assumptions

17. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Buy a gun slip, some cheap ones about from the £12 mark, so less than 2 tins of pellets!

18. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello providing your bsa is covered up in a proper gun bag its ok but do understand your thoughts, i remember once popping into my bank with shot gun in slip over shoulder, was asked if going fishing!!! to make it easy to dismantle you could alter bolts to thumb screw style not pretty though but as long as tight!!. saying that be carefull with threads.

19. dvon91

dvon91 Engaging Member

As long as its covered and not loaded i think youll be fine, i agree with the "hiding it may seem a bit fishy" way of thinking! i was always nervous when i first started carrying it around, but like a few guys say, most people dont bat an eyelid these days!

20. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Really? a BSA Tac bag can cope with various heights and widths and lengths, try looking at those!