1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Tradjectory.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by FXpoacher, Jun 6, 2008.

1. FXpoacher

FXpoacher Engaging Member

OK i get the bit about why a pellet drops towards the end of it's tradjectory, but why does it start to lift the moment it leaves the barrel?.:confused:

Keep it in laymans terms though!!:D

2. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

ITS ALL DOWN TO GRAVITY

3. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

what the pellet lifts as it leaves is that what you mean?
    can you see the pellet travel up the scope:confused:

in other words do you see it hit the milldots going up, the dropping back down?

because your scope is zeroed to put up with the pellet drop.
    the scope is facing down so the barrel faces up.

when the pellet comes out the barel line and scope line cross as the pellet 'goes up' and then the pellet crosses the line again as it comes back down.

is that what you meant?:confused:

4. FXpoacher

What so gravity push's upwards where you live?

A1 got the jist of it.
    I'm talking about the UPWARD travel, just before gravity takes control.
    All rifles do this, but why?

5. Buzz

Buzz Banned

FX...in order to hit a distant target without any gravity you would just aim straight at it and you'd hit it. With gravity it would fall short, so YOU make it go up by the amount IT drops under the effects of gravity. There are many factors other than gravity which effect the actual trajectory, speed being the main one, so a pellet travelling faster will have a flatter curve than one travelling slower.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  6. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

i thought you wanted a simple answer you got one. dont try and bellitle me .till you no what your talking about

7. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

8. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

just worth mentioning the faster the bullet the less time things can effect it.

which is why .177 flies flatter than .22 as it moves a bit faster.

the pellet does not physically move up after leaving the barel (unless its a random flier)

but all pellets leave the barrel and go flat for a few yards before dropping in flight.

this phenominom of pellets coming up are the barrel pointing up and the scope pointing down as i said above:)

9. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I really don't think they do, they just appear to through the scope, I've never heard of this before.

10. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

there are pellets that go up sometimes.
    get smk pelets. they fly so randomly they go upsometimes:D

11. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Does this help at all ??

[​IMG]

It's also why you get 2 zeros, one short range and another longer.

12. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

well thats what i said in a picture.

a picture speaks a thousand words i guess.
    just wish i could draw i'd save so much time!:D

13. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Trajectory does not have a D in it. :D

14. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I didn't put one in !!:rolleyes:

15. FXpoacher

Thanks Buzz!
    Explains it perfectly.
    Was looking at the tradjectory print outs on chair gun, which i know shows an exagerated curve, but i couldnt work out why it would upwards before it goes down.
    Cheers mate!

Oh and Topcat
    Quote:i thought you wanted a simple answer you got one. dont try and bellitle me .till you no what your talking about.

I asked for an explanation, and now i got one. So now i know what i'm talking about can i "bellitle" you now?.
    Get a sense of humour!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  16. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

the tragetory print out is the pellets path compared to she scopes zero:up:

17. FXpoacher

So with open sights, you would aim smack on, out to the point the pellet starts to drop?

18. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

with open sites you look down the barrel.

if the sites were 90 degrees to the barel the pellet would leave and drop.
    you would not have the pellet coming up to 'meet' your line of site.

again like the scope the open sites need to be set so that the barel points up a little

19. Buzz

Buzz Banned

FX, just like A1 says, it doesn't matter what type of sight you have, the same principal applies. The rear sight of open sights have a jacking screw to lift/lower it and a screw to move it sideways, just like the elevation and windage turrets on your scope. The only benefit you have with the scope over open sights is one of magnification, tragectory remains unaltered.

20. FXpoacher

quote:
    again like the scope the open sites need to be set so that the barel points up a little

Now it is all clear as glass!
    Never really thought about it before, just aimed high, low or smack on.

Cheers guys!