1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Todays Tinkering - Turd Polished!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Halinfax, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Halinfax

Halinfax Full time tinkerer and general all round nice guy

Gentlemen.....

I know that some of you have been followed my post about the ubiquitous SMK B2 and the inadequate lack of any quality engineering of this little Chinese plinker...

Well, prior to today... my synopsis of the is rifle (after extensive open heart surgery on the steel parts) was that you cannot polish it... BUT you can roll it in glitter.

WELL.... Gentlemen.. I may slightly review that synopsis....

After undertaking engineering skills that are usually the reserved for "top end tuning" of HW's and other quality springers.... we re-worked the piston and spring guide.

Stripping the rifle down completely a new black delrin FITTED spring guide was made and the piston body was machined to accept some piston rings...

Ensuring the concentricity of the cheap and nasty rolled piston was within 0.05mm 2 piston ring grooves were machined... followed bu the actual delrin rings themselves....
    20210822_145701.jpg 20210822_151750.jpg 20210822_160244.jpg

The piston rings were individually polished to suit the cylinder and there was a SMOOTH glide of the piston within the action....
    20210822_163222.jpg

20210822_164732.jpg 20210822_164748.jpg

Everything was assembled and a test shot was fired....

BLOODY HELL.... a dull THUCK and quiet too (being in the garage sometimes echoers)...

A quick test over the chrono..... BLOODY HELL.... power increased to an average of 8.65 ft/lb (from the previous 7.summat!!)
    20210822_174621.jpg

Sticking a scope on the B2 and plinking in the garden... I put 30 shots through a test card,,,,

A little more adjustment of the scope and perhaps resting on a sand bag rather than a couple of bathroom towels on the window sill.... may improve the groupings..
    20210822_175231.jpg

But otherwise... I am over the moon with the feel of the gun, the cocking and certainly the quietness of it (even without the moderated shroud I made....

Unfortunately the trigger of this rifle REALLY lets it down (even after polishing the sear and narrowing the profile a little)... so a 2 stage job would make a difference ... or even summat that would give you some adjustment.....

But hey.. its a £50 rifle that has had the equivalent of £150 worth of tickling and tuning done to it!!

So... all in all......jobs a gud un... and I may just keep it now....

mutley, paj, Beetlecrusher and 16 others like this.
  2. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

Loving this Hal - and you’re a BAD MAN!!

Ive got a B2 on the way… :facepalm:

3. William65

William65 Out with the dog...

So you really can polish a turd :D

mutley, vinnyp and Halinfax like this.
  4. Halinfax

YAY... I KNEW that you wouldnt be able to resist.....

mikeyhall1 likes this.
  5. vinnyp

vinnyp Plinkin ain’t easy !

I knew you’d go all in eventually Hal :thumb:

Be careful though these little b2’s can become an obsession :oops:

Well done yet again :claping:

Halinfax likes this.
  6. vinnyp

vinnyp Plinkin ain’t easy !

Resistance is futile :p

Halinfax likes this.
  7. Cinimod

Cinimod Keyboard Hero

Good work Hal :thumb: all you need know are some Venom Tuning stickers and it'll go for top pounds on Guntrader...............dom

Sgibbar and Halinfax like this.
  8. JamieJay

JamieJay Leader of the Gorgonites

Great work :thumb: Love it going to miss the updates now!

I wish I had the skills to sort mine out like that. I’ve stripped it down cleaned the action and it looks far better.

The stocks currently sitting clamped with Gorilla glue ready for sanding and I’ve ordered some new stock screws.

Great source for inspiration!

Halinfax and vinnyp like this.
  9. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Fools and their money are easily parted ;):D

Nice fools on the whole though, and guess it keeps them from pestering us proper (read PCP) shooters down the range with their constant, "Give us go mister" whining :p

Halinfax likes this.
  10. Halinfax

Heyup TH.... the ON:Y money that I have spent is on the initial purchase of the rifle....

The rest has been made from offcuts, skillset, odds and sods and LURV!!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That hurts, JamieJay and vinnyp like this.
  11. Andy yam

Andy yam Jack of all trades

Not a bad power increase Hal with claims like that your on par with a certain ex member :laff:
    Another great read :thumb:

Halinfax likes this.
  12. dodgyeye

dodgyeye Donator

Loving your work :up:

Makes me want to get hold of a cheap chinese. . . eerr air rifle? . . . and have a tinker :D

Halinfax likes this.
  13. shauny

shauny Top Poster

great knowledge :thumb:

Halinfax and JamieJay like this.
  14. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Proper man lurv Hal :thumb:

15. 1260engineer

1260engineer The Terminator's Armourer

:facepalm: So disappointed you didn't make a wooden piston for it :D

Great work Hali . Nicely done throughout :thumb:

Halinfax likes this.
  16. TehRed

TehRed Engaging Member

I absolutely adore all of this. I'm no good at it myself, but I just really like the idea of people tinkering with their guns. Add to it that I think there's really something cool about doing that on something considered probably "not worth it" by many, but doing it just to satisfy curiosity or for the pure enjoyment of it.

I messed about with my B2 to the best extent of my incredibly limited powers, and even though i've done a total hack job on it, it's definitely improved and I feel so proud that i've done that myself. It was the first rifle i've ever even taken apart, and now its in a state where I can actually hit stuff with it.

Really enjoyable to see someone with great skill and patience and the proper equipment show what can be done. Warms my heart to see a "lost cause" get a little love. Well done Hal.

shadowryder, Byronic and Halinfax like this.
  17. Halinfax

Heyup mate... WELL DONE for having a go at tinkering and improving your own rifle.. (even with your self confessed limited ability)... Well done!!

Also, thank you for your kind words...

My "Todays Tinkering" features are all about trying to inspire folk to have a go at tinkering AND to get constructive and informative feedback from anyone who has any better ideas or options when it comes to tinkering or fettling

Thanks again....:thumb:

vinnyp, Byronic and TehRed like this.
  18. TehRed

TehRed Engaging Member

Cheers mate :) I'm really not a hands-on guy or at all clued up about such things, but I very much enjoyed messing with the B2 even though I did make a bit of a mess of some of the things I tried to do. But nothing that has negatively impacted the performance of it, it's all made it function more consistently at the end of the day.

In time I might dare to crack open a Weihrauch and give one a tickle, just for the experience. As long as I don't leave it any worse than I found it, I suppose.

Byronic and Halinfax like this.
  19. Peddy

Peddy Busy Member

Been reading your thread with interest, for my sins I’m collecting a new one in .177 on Thursday, il be cocking it and looking down the barrel after your experience!! I’m thinking of sleeving the TP down to 2.8mm what’s your thoughts?

20. Halinfax

Heyup @Peddy

Personally... I would do all the necessary "internal and external" tinkering prior to considering re-porting..

Check the chrono too before opening her up.... (and DONT be surprised!!!)

A) To make sure that it all works mechanically and smoothly
    B) To make sure that there are no issues
    C) As with me, you can go all overboard on trying to improve it.. BUT the mechanicals are "not up to it"!!!

Either way... enjoy the tinkering as it was good fun!!!!!

shadowryder likes this.