1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Todays Tinkering - The Lunacy Of Madness.....

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Halinfax, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Halinfax

Halinfax Full time tinkerer and general all round nice guy

Gentlemen.....

Not having the use of the car for the morning , I was "forced" into solitary lockdown in the shed...

Whilst interned, I found several scraps of bits and pieces and put them all together to come up with summat....

CAVEAT.... The concept was instigated recently if I could make summat with a "larger than usual" diameter .. and it planted the seed of this particular line of lunacy.... along with the polar opposite

NO NAMES shall be mentioned in this thread.....

So I cracked on with this "train of thought" and wanted to test this concept...

"Is bigger always the better??????"

So.. armed with several cups of coffee and doped up on my medication!!!!! I proceeded... and here are the results...

Mod A....

22mm diameter carbon fibre body x 125mm long with "special" internal baffling

20210825_102950.jpg 20210825_102957.jpg 20210825_103048.jpg

Mod B....

50mm aluminium body x 123mm long with "standard" internal baffling

20210825_112129.jpg 20210825_112209.jpg 20210825_113157.jpg 20210825_112251.jpg

CONCLUSION.....

Both worked very well and I would be happy to hunt with either.....

However, the slimline mod would be like a "mouse fart in church" on the pistol it was designed for.... and it WAS very effective on the BSA Ultra test rifle...

Where as the Hals Has Beans mod........ would be like farting in the forest.... several times... but again it was very effective....

In my humble opinion... bigger ISNT always better...... itwswhats inside and how you use it that counts...

Now... time for more medication and caffeine!!!

Tarraaaa.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Boo86, ped, pjgtech and 20 others like this.
  2. Bearded Sniper

Bearded Sniper Keep it simple, stupid

Nice work haha!
    Normally I prefer a chunkier mod, but I do like the look of that slim one.

1260engineer and Halinfax like this.
  3. 1260engineer

1260engineer The Terminator's Armourer

As the one that looks like beans got a metric or Imp thread :D

Halinfax likes this.
  4. Blue Tomato

Blue Tomato Busy Member

Some strange medication you must be taking there. What about trying the bake bean tin as well, preferably empty. Couldn't stand seeing the mess all over the rifle. o_O

Bash, 1260engineer and Halinfax like this.
  5. Halinfax

Its actually an ACME thread 1260..... and there is NO WAT I am gonna put that on ANY HW barrel!!!!

1260engineer likes this.
  6. 1260engineer

:D make a silencer out of an old thermal cup or something really obscure . :thumb:

Halinfax likes this.
  7. bighit

bighit Big Poster

Gunpower did a large moderator that was called the bean can. Not sure on the size though.

1260engineer likes this.
  8. littleJon365

littleJon365 Democracy unless they disagree

that's almost bigger than the ultra Hal ! reminds me of that film ''no country for old men''

Halinfax likes this.
  9. William65

William65 Out with the dog...

How much are they, I go to get one:)

Halinfax likes this.
  10. Halinfax

More like ... "No HOPE for old men!!!!!":facepalm:

1260engineer and littleJon365 like this.
  11. Halinfax

1260.... you KNOW better NOT to lay down a challenge!!!!!!!!! look at some of the stuff I did before...

20210115_174624.jpg 20210115_174631.jpg 20210115_175059.jpg

12. Clanks

Clanks Busy Member

It's interesting. :thumb:

You've done a test and proved a point, the baffles inside and internal design is everything. A point of interest though, is if the same internal volume for both the long and thin, and also your baked beans mod, with the best baffles inside and internal design, your "special" internal baffling that you mention, would they again be the same? I'd presume so?? Although it would be of interest to know, as the distance for the air to get out might make a difference.

It would then come down to what people preferred in looks. Often though, short and fat might well win over long and thin, such as if you were shooting out of a car window in a Bunnie drive by :eek: or storing, handling and transporting something.

Short and fat can have additional volume without it really noticing. It would be good to know if short and fat was worse for the same internal volume. Even if it was, a slight increase in diameter would hardly notice, but could even it out between the two, or even make it better and more practical in use.

If you are interned again, would it be possible to pursue this, as there could well be a market for short and stumpy.

1260engineer and Halinfax like this.
  13. Halinfax

Heyup Clanks.. thanks for the post.....

Roughly calculating..
    The 22 od x 20 id x 100mm internal space equates to about 31,416 cubic millimetres
    The 50 od x 46 id x 95mm internal space equates to about 159,542 cubic millimeres

The smaller mod is approx, 80.31% smaller in internal volume... but yet... just about as effective....!!!!

Perhaps the material attenuation, resonant frequencies and harmonics have a mitigating factor to consider in the actual working of the mods... (tgat is summat WAY above my pay grade to calculate)

Personally, I prefer the smaller mods (between 30 - 35mm diameter and approx 160-190mm long depending on the rifle.

Every mod on every gun of mine has my own creations on them.. and I am more than happy with each and every one..

There are MANY out there who like the "Fat and Fatter Boy" or "Stumpy", "Dumpy" or "Tin Can" style mods... and there are a good number of fellow tinkerers who can provide them upon request.

For me personally... I just like to mess around in my shed and tinker away!!

Good luck mate...:thumb:

1260engineer and Balders like this.
  14. Halinfax

Heyup William...

As it happens I may be selling off a couple of my units as a fund raising exercise for a mate of mine..

If your interested !!!

1260engineer and William65 like this.
  15. Snapshot

Snapshot Busy Member

The then lathe wizard at Lea Valley made a moderator for another member's Stealth that was known as the table leg for the obvious reason that he used a B&Q table leg as the body.....

1260engineer, Halinfax and bighit like this.
  16. Halinfax

I have uses a crutch before now.. AND a Dyson vac tube!!!

1260engineer likes this.
  17. RagnarHairybreeks

RagnarHairybreeks Plays well with otters

I always wondered (apart from getting the threads right to tighten in the correct orientation) why moderators were almost universally symmetrical.

Why not have your volume offset ‘south’ as it were? No getting in the way of scopes or sights.

Wayforward, Byronic and 1260engineer like this.
  18. Steved

Steved Posting Addict

I made a mod out of a renault 1.5 diesel oil filter some years ago.

Halinfax likes this.
  19. Snapshot

Snapshot Busy Member

They've existed for years - there was an early one for the Theoben Rapid and look at Edgun's Matador, Lelya and Leshiy - but the engineering is much more complex than a symmetrical mod as, as you note, you can't just screw them on to any old barrel as you don't know at what angle they'll end up so cost wins out.

20. 1260engineer

lining up the pellet ports in the baffles is a pain . ive made a few cam silencers as i call them which have worked quite well :thumb:

RagnarHairybreeks and Byronic like this.