1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Today was a flop.

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by engraver, Oct 3, 2014.

1. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

So I returned to the field on my other permission this morning expecting some crows, but no crows in sight.

So I threw the hide up got snug loaded the Rapid mag and sat it out anyway for an hour or three![​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only had 5 crow decoys and a Maggie decoy but expected crows to be wanting to come onto the field anyway but it wasn't happening.

After what seemed like an age I heard a Maggie chatter in the distance so I put the gun on sticks and did a distress call through my crow caller, it brought it straight in, but if anything too close almost landing in the hide with me, as it chattered away no further than 15 ft away I rushed the shot a bit as it looked flighty but was pretty sure I put a pellet straight through the thickest part of the birds back, which should have dropped it, but no.

I say feathers and the bird managed to get to a nearby hedgerow with the last of the oxygen in its veins, now that kind of shot I would say does work better with a bigger pellet than a .177 JSB which my rapid likes, dam I hate it when that happens.

Then the next arrival was a great big crow it finally touched down after 5 or 6 circles of the field cawing away, with the 45 yrd ranger decoy I knew where to go and adjusted the wind and caught a glimpse of the pellet in flight against the birds dark feathers, straight for the head and pop, perfect shot he just rolled on his back.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I thought I want me some more of them! but I waited and waited, then suddenly out of the blue a jackdaw lands, about 35 yrds out, so same again, popped it, but it went down squarking like mad, so recocked the gun and put another shot in it, and it pinned it down, I then made the error of leaving the gun in the hide and going to collect it, I got ten yrds off it and it jumped up like nothing happened and hopped off a great speed, I hopped after it and couldn't grap it in time for it to get to a hedgerow that was in penetrable for me, so again I wasn't happy that's two in one session, but that's hunting it happens sometimes, in fact even with the shotgun, so It was just that wind that took my shots off millimetres from a clean head shots.

I was feeling rather demoted by this point when a lone woodie landed, so carefull ain this time and I managed an awkward angle head shot this time good straight through the head from the diagonal.

Then just as I was thinking of leaving a group of what I thought were ferals landed but after zooming in with the lightstream I could see rings on their legs so I just watched from a far, as they were out of bounds.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Never mind cant win them all, like I says that's hunting, anyone who claims never to have a bad days sometimes with airguns is a better man than me.[​IMG]

I did get some ratting on the way back though the farmer tells me he has some rats in the cowsheds so I may have to give this NV lark a go sometime.:up:

2. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Sounds like a good day to me mate, better than being sat behind this desk anyway!

3. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Thanks mate.

I just wanted results as a farmer has asked me to string some dead crows on some canes around his field but when you want some you cant get any:D

4. Alex.B

Alex.B Big Poster

Indeed a good day for you , better than working in a nut house in Nottingham !

Great write up as per normal :up:

5. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

When you put it like that mate yes lol it was.

But im paying for it now that hide was uncomfy my back is killing me, forgot my fold up chair.

If there is one thing i learned young about fishing and shooting is its as enjoyable as you are comfy.

6. Alex.B

Alex.B Big Poster

Are you asking for sympathy because your back is hurting due to you spending all day hunting ? , I'm sure the retired lads will be along to give you some when they have woken from their nap :D

7. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

Comfort yes that's why I loved fishing for big barbel two rods pointing at the sky and me on a bedchair with a coffee, but It's nice to be comfy with a rifle in your hands.
    ATB.

8. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

Fantastic post with excellent photos - great set up there:up:
    Enjoyed reading it.

9. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Yet another great post Elliot all in all a good day! atb Paul.

10. landymick

landymick Very Active

Not bad at all,at least you got out & about.:)

11. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Well thanks lads I expected a pile of them to be honest as the night before it was black over with them.

But that's the way it goes sometimes, its getting much harder to decoy anything and with the first pheasant shoot of the season on the land tomorrow I cant really be using the shotgun as much.

Im just looking forward to the frost if we get any as there is plenty of rape been planted around my permission, so I may get some winter decoying to come yet Ill have to just see how it goes.

Thanks for reading anyway.:up:

12. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

Really enjoyed reading your hunting thread :up:
    Great photos and account of the session.
    Wish I was less busy with work to be able to get out more myself, even more so with the evenings drawing in

13. Geordie

Geordie Donator

A good honest tale there Elliot.

Happens to the best of us at times I'm sure, but refreshing to read a hunting trip "warts n all" mate.

Enjoyed that bud.:)

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Sometimes mate I think maggies are made of rubber, I hit one yesterday crossing straight in front of me, with two barrels of the shotgun, maybe only a few pellets connected but I hit it I know because I saw feather both shots, and in that split second after the first barrel I thought this is one of "those" invincible or lucky maggies.

I don't know about cats having nine lives but maggies have Im sure.

So anyway I only managed that one as using the semi auto I had another third shot in the chamber, and peppered it again for it to go down in some sugar beat but it still didn't hit the deck head first it hit the ground running!

So its so satisfying when you do a real clean shot on a Maggie using an airgun isn't it?

I do think of all the quarry we are allowed to shoot with airguns, that I seemed to kill more maggies in my .22 days, with body shots for sure.

My .177s just go through them like butter at close range, but 50 yrders drop like stones, I just put it down to overpenetration at close range, as they don't take much piercing a maggies body like do they?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  15. warrenater

warrenater Donator

nice one Elliot its usually rabbits or rats for me and its a real red letter day if i manage to get a maggie or a crow ! so its a resounding well done from me ! atb gary

16. indiginous3554

indiginous3554 Donator

You may have thought the day was a "Flop". But the photos and write up was the usual excellent standard.