1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

to pcp or not to pcp ... that is the question

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Fox#1, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Fox#1

Fox#1 Member

Now this I understand is a question of marmite proportions. Pcp is a love or hate situation. I love break barrels, my first rifle was a break barrel and they have all been break barrels since.
    But I have a niggle at the back of my mind after firing a pcp, do I want one?
    It was a very smooth rifle no faffing with the break juat cock and fire, to quote a meerkat friend of mine "simples" but is it that simple after the hastle of refilling the tank? And dont you have to pay to get them refilled? So would it not be easier ( and
    Cheaper) to stick with break barrel? Or should I take the plunge and buy a pcp?
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Many thanks in advance

2. tisme

tisme Donator

Sooner or later your buy a PCP so why not now. Yes it cost a little to fill but you will hit more. Get out of the Dark side and move into the light.

3. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

if you have someone near you that can refill a bottle to 300bar it isnt too much hassle as only costs around a fiver to get a 12 litre bottle filled and that will last you a few thousand shots. charging the rifle only takes a couple minutes.
    depends on what sort of shooting you do really... if hunting you may only need to get a bottle charged once a year. if that is the case maybe a pump would be easier.
    shooting a pcp is much easier than shooting a springer as they arnt hold sensitive, fit a bipod and you cant realy miss. having a mag fed gun means no more faffing about with pellets and reloading can be done while your still eyes on down the scope ready for a second shot.... just bare in mind though pcp's can get boring and one day you will want another springer...;)

4. Fox#1

Fox#1 Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will always want a springer they're just fun to shoot. what would be a good PCP to start with for pest control mostly. (You know... if I was going to abandon my beloved springers.)

5. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

6. UPINSMOKE

UPINSMOKE Engaging Member

Really depends on what budget you have and whether you want to buy new or s/h. Good starting rifle would be Air Arms S400 or if you want a gun with multi shot magazines then either Air Arms S510 it comes with a 10 shot magazine. But my personal favorite, as I have one is the HW100 carbine it comes with two 14 shot mags and they also include a silencer as standard but you are looking at around £550 for S/H and around £750 to £800 New.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  7. Fox#1

Fox#1 Member

Thanks. They were very helpful links. they've given me a lot to think about. I will give it a lot of thought and do a whole lot of research on the subject. But any advice or information will be happily and gratefuly accepted.

8. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Have the best of both worlds, buy a BSA Spitfire!

Try looking at advert 652*** on the Gun Star website, rumour also has it that a certain John Bowkett also has some of these that have been blueprinted and tuned for a couple of hundred quid.

The Spitfire is a PCP that is a break barrel, so go ahead, make your day!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  9. Shiner22

Shiner22 Donator

Hi Fox,

I am am relatively new to the airgun world, and to begin with I didn't even consider a PCP. Instead I bought a TX200 and a ProSport.
    A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and bought my first PCP, an AA S510. I only shoot HFT at my local club and on the two occasions I have visited with my springers and PCP I can honestly say I prefer to shoot my TX200 over anything.

The filling is easy enough and only takes a couple of minutes. The advantage of a 10 shot magazine is probably more apparent in hunting than HFT, in fact I bought a second magazine last week to cut down on the reloading over 30 lanes, and I think a single shot adaptor would be less hassle still.

I don't mean to sound like I regret buying a PCP, in fact I plan on buying a HW100 within the next few weeks but I definitely get more satisfaction from my springers.

10. Dels510

Dels510 Active Member

I'd say buy a pcp as you mention pest control,from my own experience rabbiting with a springer was rewarding skill wise but the farmer was happier when i went pcp because instead of getting a few bunnies (where the noise of the action and the disturbance re loading would scare things away) with the pcp i'd be emptying a magazine before spooking them back underground.
    So the decision realy is, do i want a working gun or a play gun.

11. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

thats the thing... a pcp in the right hands is a clinical vermin reducing machine... a springer on the other hand is purely for the hunt.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  12. Macdoog

Macdoog Posting Addict

As much as I love my r10 its quite simply boring to shoot....it hits everything you point it at and for that reason it is a very good tool for hunting and FT/HFT. I recently swopped my old Diana 52 for a lovely scope BUT I do miss the challenge of shooting a springer...and that's why Im getting myself a MK1 BSA SS in .25. Ive hunted with both PCPs and Springers and Ive enjoyed using a springer so much more. I think everyone should learn how to shoot properly before moving onto a PCP.

13. Fox#1

Fox#1 Member

Wow, thanks everyone for the amazing feedback. I'm just debating whether or not to take the plunge. I know its a daft question but is there a quietish springer rifle out there. I love my springer but one bunny goes down with a pellet and then all the others go down a hole. Its just a pain to have to wait so long for them to get the courage to pop out again. Thats why I am considering the PCP... but budget is tight and I'm not sure if a good PCP is in it.

14. Bluefrog

Bluefrog Busy Member

whats the budget ?

15. Fox#1

Fox#1 Member

Maybe from 100 to 200. Ive got a diana mod27 that id like to get revamped maybe. She's quiet but she definitely needs sorting.

16. gunsnlandies

gunsnlandies Posting Addict

What about a co2 powered XS/QB78 in .22 with a moderator. Need a bit of work to get the full potential from them, but once done, hard hitting and very quiet. Some on here will sneer at the thought of them and suggest you need to save more before buying. Some just can't get the heads round the fact, that there people around that have no more money to spend.
    I own both a TH78 and AR2079A and they are well worth every penny. I also own a BSA Super 10, and a load of springers, so I'm not saying this from a biased opinion.

17. Fox#1

Fox#1 Member

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't even thought of co2. Are they much different from PCP? I'd heard they were on the "expensive" side to refill all the time. I don't want to spend a fourtune because I'm a springer guy but the farmer of a permission I got on a chicken farm to curb the growth of rabbits rats and other pests on his land said my springer was too loud and upset his chickens. So out of respect I haven't been back, until I can get a quiet rifle. Other permissions are happy with the jobs I do but they are beef and lamb farmers so the livestock is less skittish and outside so they aren't fussed at all.
    So this will only be for use on a chicken farm and probably only for use when ratting in the actual chicken shed.

18. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Don't bother with CO2 for anything but plinking,weather changes makes the shot count go all over the place and you won't be able to hit much

19. Fox#1

Fox#1 Member

Thanks for the heads up I'll avoid co2 then.

20. gunsnlandies

gunsnlandies Posting Addict

My 78 is running at 11.2 at the moment. If it turns snowy, I'll fit a larger TP seal and it will still run at around that figure. I pay 50p a 12g bulb. Does me 50-60 shots for a pair. I used mine ratting all through 2012/13 snow with no loss of kill rate. They just need fettling a bit when new.