1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

To Fac Or Not Tofac?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by jprpatriot, Jan 10, 2019.

1. jprpatriot

jprpatriot Active Member

I have for some time been toying with the idea of getting a FAC licence and buying a FAC air rifle. I currently own an S400 as my main rifle and have a number of springers. I went PCP a couple of years ago and to be frank, although it performs well enough, they are not much fun to shoot; a bit soulless. I had an HW110 for a while but it was very disappointing and I got shot (!) of it
    I have a BSA springer in .25 which is fun but underpowered and a Lightening SE Gas Ram in .22 which is a great little gun for bush bashing (not that I get to do much of that), but not a serious target gun. I also have a Feinwerkbau 300 in .177. She is a fine old lady and highly accurate but only has seven foot pounds under the bonnet, which is good at ten metres but I want to shoot at fifty metres plus.
    I am looking at selling them all and buying something in FAC/.25 or .22.
    I would value advice from other shooters who have been down this route for better or for worse.
    John

2. mmamonster

mmamonster Big Poster

Hi.
    I have a fac air gun aswel as other section 1 guns. As long as you have good reason to have one and have land to shoot on go for it.
    Atb
    Mart

3. Teuchter Boy

Teuchter Boy Active Member

I am a big fan of fac. I own an fac streamline in 25 and a wolverine r in 22. I use them both on rabbits, crows, tree rats etc... to great effect. The application process was straightforward and the extra power is fantastic. I would caution however that three times the power does not equal three times the range. My 22 is fine up to 60 to 70 yards depending on conditions and the 25 all the way to 100 plus, although when shooting live quarry I restrict myself to 70 yards for obvious reasons. Many will tell you just to get a 22lr, however if you like airguns and intend to shoot into trees etc... Fac air is perfect. I hardly ever reach for the shotgun now and can take many shots I would have to pass up sub 12ftlb or with a rim fire.

If you are only going for one I would get a 25 with variable power ie fx impact or streamline, however you can't really go wrong with a 22 at 30ftlb. What rifles have you been looking at?

robthedog and mmamonster like this.
  4. Popgun

Popgun Donator

I have .20 & .22 fac Rapids, awesome kit.
    Many on the https://www.rapid7ownersclub.com have gone over to .25 running @ 40 > 50 ft, but they get noiser, mine are low 30s, rabbit 70m no problem.
    I am considering applying for .22LR too

5. Teuchter Boy

I use to run a 22 rapid at 24ftlb, Great guns. Also looking at rim fires myself again, although probably an hmr as it will be for lamping in the Highlands so trajectory wins over noise. Having said that fac air is remarkably capable and not to be discounted even over longer ranges. I saw a.30 fac crown in action stateside and was blown away by the accuracy at ranges of 130 yards plus, albeit on a nice calm day.

6. Pellet pinger

Pellet pinger Donator

If you have land go for it! best thing I’ve done shooting wise, I went the whole hog and bought a .25 Impact, don’t regret it one bit.
    My sub 12 laid dormant since going over to FAC so I sold it and I swore I never would.

7. The burpster

The burpster Well-Known Member

You need good reason to have a S1, wanting a bit more power probably isn’t one. You need to set your stall out and work out exactly what you want and why. If you want an S1 just for air I would suggest it’s a lot of work and that work is continual and incurs expense. If however you say are wanting an rf, air and cf for target and vermin, you have the land (and or permission) and club membership then it should be a paper exercise.

8. hughlle

hughlle Big Poster

For what reason?

A sub 12 pcp or an FAC pcp, I personally feel either would be boring before long. But then I find any target shooting to be dull. When it comes to pest control though, springer, sub 12, FAC, it's not about boring or exciting, it's about performing a job, and doing the job well, it doesn't matter the type of gun, doing it well is all the justification I need.

The burpster likes this.
  9. The burpster

The burpster Well-Known Member

Spot on, and having the correct tool to do the job at hand! :thumb:

10. warrenater

warrenater Donator

To be honest, i would advise you to at least find someone who is willing to let you try theirs before you go ahead and buy , I get on well with mine but i have to be honest i love my sub 12's too and by your own admission and i quote (I went PCP a couple of years ago and to be frank, although it performs well enough, they are not much fun to shoot; a bit soulless).
    50+ yards is definitely achievable but will you think its soulless ? Better to find out before you part with your cash as second hand values aren't through the roof even if prices for new factories are !

11. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Keyboard Hero

On another note, FAC air .25/30 at 100 yards plus in strong wind can be just as challenging as 7.62 at 1000.

Difference is 100 yard ranges are much easier to access and pellets are a lot cheaper!

Too many think of FAC air as just for hunting when this is not the case at all!

robthedog, The burpster and Ghost88 like this.
  12. robthedog

robthedog Engaging Member

Been thinking along similar lines myself, i have previously held an fac for a number of years, & i'm an established member of a fullbore rifle club, but i'd quite like an fac air rifle.
    Is .25 the cal to have or is 30 the new king ?

13. Teuchter Boy

Robthedog, I went through the same dilemma last year and opted for 25 as a balance between power and shot count, however I don't really need to shoot further than 75 to 80 yards. I get 40 shots at 46ftlb using jsb Kings with my streamline which suits me fine, although I see the crown in 30 gives slightly more shots and may be worth a shout.

robthedog likes this.
  14. Cam.

Cam. Post Whore

Absolutely spot on, sir!

FAC air, IMO, is better than 22lr. Why?: because of the ricochet factor with 22lr. The land around here is flat and good backstops are rare so I gave up with my 22lr.

robthedog likes this.