1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Titan Mainsprings

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Crab Doctor, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Crab Doctor

Crab Doctor Keyboard Hero

Hi people, long time no post ;)

Due to the fact that Blackpool Airgun Centre seem to be PERMANENTLY out of Venom mainsprings in .177 flavour, can anybody tell me if Titan Mains are any good?

The reason I ask is that like an idiot I left my Venom tuned TX200HC cocked and lost about 2ftlb. So for my second question, could I gain some of that lost energy back by polishing the internals and are there any instructional posts or YouTube vids that could show me how?

Cheers mateys :D

2. doodsy

doodsy Donator

hi, I used a titan in my Diana 52 and it pushed it well over, so I would imagine you would have to shorten the spring
    to keep it legal, I replaced mine with a standard spring which done the job perfectly and shoots at 11.4 approx.
    I think the titans are of very good quality and had a fast lock time when fitted but need to be worked and tested
    once fitted to ensure you stay legal. that's my experience and opinion of them

atb

doodsy

3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

In agreement with the doodsy's post, IMO Titan springs are good quality but usually far, far too long for their specified applications - so be prepared to cut it down. In addition, I'd be concerned about the fit on the Vmach guide (which are usually well-fitted to their springs) - if it's loose the rifle with twang when fired. Have you tried contacting Vmach direct for a replacement?

4. doodsy

doodsy Donator

Very good points clover, I had to shorten the titan to enable the sear to engage and it
    still pushed the Diana to very silly power levels, I must say that my Diana has never
    twanged even when needing a spring replacing, must be a HW thing :D

5. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

There is something seriously wrong if it has lost 2ft ib through being left cocked sounds like a coil has collapsed perhaps through attempting to shorten it and losing its temper? Whatever the cause it needs stripping and the spring and seals examining.

6. thevoid

thevoid Posting Addict

Brilliant springs when used correctly, I've a tiny 26 coil 20mm O/D spring delivering 10.6 in my HW50 and its very good indeed, many moons ago I'd shoehorned a 33 coil Titan into the same gun and not only lost power but was horrid to shoot

7. Dan77k

Dan77k Donator

I actually gave BAR a call on Friday about VMach springs and was told they are reordering imminently so they should be back in stock within the next couple of weeks.

You could try adding some washers to increase preload and bump the power? But stay safe and make sure the rifle is discharged before storing it next time!

8. JD

JD Donator

Which number Titan spring are you using in your 50 Void ?

As I was thinking of going with a No 11.

9. thevoid

thevoid Posting Addict

Number 5 mate, amazing how much power so little spring makes

10. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Is there a Titan that will go in an airsporter that I won't have to cut down? I did have a Titan in a hw77 but discarded it for of all things ....an ox! The ox was longer iirc but gave minimal recoil and more power than the Titan. The Titan gave quite a kick. so I'm a little Titan shy to be honest.

11. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

Back in the day when John Bowkett used to tune & fettle springers, he used Titan springs. He fettled my Hw77 at the time and it was the best rifle I have ever owned.

If he deemed them good enough, then they were/are good springs.

12. Tazz

Tazz Engaging Member

How long did you leave your gun cocked for?

I find it incredible that leaving it cocked would cause such a drop in power? I think you should be looking for another reason for such a drop before blaming it upon a cocked spring. It's a bit of an old wive's tail that leaving a springer cocked weakens the spring. A number of tests have been done which suggests that if it has any detrimental effect it is minimal. I wouldn't advise leaving a springer cocked, but that's for safety reasons, and to avoid it being dry-fired,

13. Crab Doctor

Thanks guys. Yes I did think it strange that such a good quality spring as a Venom should lose as much as two whole pounds but it was cocked for about two weeks. Schoolboy error really and very unlike me, I shoot for a living and I was more surprised than anyone when I went to load it!!

Its actually packed about as much as is possible without getting spring bound and that was before losing power so I knew without taking it apart that packing wont be an option.
    Shame really because it shot lovely when I fitted the kit.
    I did my Pro Sport at the same time and that's beautiful to shoot and no problems so far.

I was thinking about getting out the ol Dremmel doing a major polishing job of the internals anyway but I was looking for tips on how to polish the piston chamber.
    I don't think I'll be going for a Titan ;-)

14. Crab Doctor

Yeah like I say, I was surprised about so much power loss but it was cocked for a couple of weeks so a significant period of time. It's still quiet, smooth and consistent, it was a peach when I last used it and its a pea shooter now :confused:

15. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

I accidentally left my Hw77 cocked for over a month.. When I went to shoot it the spring broke after 3 shots so in my case it happened to be true.

16. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

You don't need to polish the piston chamber......

17. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

i never had problems with ox. but that was twenty five yrs ago.

18. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

How long was it left cocked for? 2 F/lbs is a lot to lose from leaving it cocked.

Try re-chroming because if you checked it immediately after it was left cocked the power will be down but it can rise again once the rifle is de-cocked the spring is left to de-stress and settle itself.

Once it has settled and if the power has not fully risen back to pre-cocked levels, try a bit of pre-load on the spring with some washers and it won't take much to get it back to were it used to be.

19. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

I'm sure Jim Tyler did a test where he left a springer cocked for a couple of months and it had little or no effect on power.
    Regards Stu.

20. JD

JD Donator

Are you running this TX with a short stroke piston head ?