1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Tinkering With My Hw97k

Discussion in 'Technical' started by N.Vodden, Dec 4, 2019.

1. N.Vodden

N.Vodden Engaging Member

Hi all :)

I was out shooting on the weekend and @Artfull-Bodger kindly let me try his HW97 which he has done a lot of work on and it was stunning to shoot.

My friend's one as well has been fettled and feels much nicer to shoot so when I went back to my stock 97 and it went BOINGGGG I thought right, let's sort this out!

I haven't ordered any parts for it but I thought the thing could at least benefit from a strip and clean. I've never taken a springer apart before but I watched plenty of guides and read some very helpful threads on here so armed with the tools, I set to it.

Before...

20191204_184113.jpg

After...

20191204_184035.jpg

I will admit - at this stage, I was thinking "What have you done?!" :rofl:

It was easy enough to strip, the only real sticking points being the rear block which did NOT want to unscrew. I had the body clamped in a WorkMate with a spanner wrapped in cloth in the slot, and it took a worrying amount of force to get moving but once it gave way it came out easy enough.

First impressions on stripping, no wonder it felt a bit 'grindy' to cock. The piston and cylinder were practically dry, almost no lube whatsoever. I know you don't need to use much but there was hardly any on there. The spring on the other hand was covered in a thick and almost dried gunk. Did not look right at all.

Gave it all a thorough wipe down, degrease and clean. The spring looks like one of the good ones from what I've seen described on here. Circular cross section, not squared and the ends are flattened and filed.

20191204_194915.jpg

The stock spring guide was very loose and falls out of the spring in the end it was fitted to, but at the other end it has a tighter fit and stays put so I fitted it that way around to hopefully keep the spring central and take some play out of it.

The spring was very loose in the piston as well and rattled around a lot, so I made a sleeve from a beer can in true bodge job fashion. It's a good excuse to knock back a few Oranjeboom - "But I need the empty cans dear...honest!" :roflmao:

Here is the fit, before the sleeve was cut to size and the end 'tabs' bent over to be held in place by the washer. Much better with less play, yet still able to move and expand freely as it compresses.

20191204_194949.jpg

I reassembled it with a thin layer of moly grease on the piston and seal edges, the spring, a dab on the spring guide end plate and a very thin layer on the outside of the cylinder to ease it's movement inside the rifle body.

Reassembly was easy and the only tricky bit was the pins when remounting the trigger unit. A little tricky to align but once it was all lined up they went in with a few light taps. I mounted the action back in the stock and snugged everything back up. It was dark by the time I finished it but I headed out the garden to pop a few pellets off.

It cocked and locked back correctly (phew!!) and wow, it feels as smooth as glass compared to how it was before. I loaded a pellet, took her off safe and CRACK - significantly less twang!

I only put about 10 pellets through it because it's a bit late, dark and a residential area. It's not the quietest gun so didn't want to disturb anyone but oh my what an improvement. It cocks easier and smoother, shoots sharper and the twang is significantly reduced. Enough to not be an issue now.

All in all it took about 1.5 hours to do and wasn't too difficult, and now I've had the 97 in bits I've got no qualms whatsoever about doing work on it myself now. If you have the slightest bit of mechanical ability you won't struggle.

The only thing I haven't done is chrono it. It was doing 10.9 ftlb consistently before this, I doubt a clean and lube would add over a full ftlb but I will check it to be sure of course.

Well worth the effort to strip, clean and tinker. Looking forward to getting it zeroed back in and running some lead through it to bed back in and see what she can do.

2. Gary Jones

Gary Jones Big Poster

Well done mate. The jobs a good'un :up:

You'll be looking for project guns now you've popped your cherry :up:

Reevo17 and greyskull like this.
  3. N.Vodden

N.Vodden Engaging Member

Heh, got a battered old Westlake B2 I bought in my teens nearly 20 years ago gathering dust in the cupboard ;)

Gary Jones likes this.
  4. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

I picked up a 177 KT secondhand earlier this year, first owner hardly used it & it looks brand new, was doing 10.2 over the chrono but it might be bedding in!
    I'm undecided what to do with it, home fettle like my 77 & what you've done or tbt/vortek it or 22mm it's guts.

5. The Squire

The Squire Engaging Member

Good work, nothing to hold you back now from further tinkering!

6. Reevo17

Reevo17 Big Poster

Well done and they’re one of the trickier ones to start in too!

I have a short stroke on my 77 - stunning but I’m now considering a paul short titanium or nick gibney 22mm!

Tyler durdon likes this.
  7. Tyler durdon

Tyler durdon Posting Addict

Get the 22mm

8. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

I heard something about a 20mm somewhere! Might wait to see if it's true & & how people rate it.

9. Tyler durdon

Not sure about 20mm , 21 maybe, I tried a tx in 21mm and was superb. I have a 77 in 22mm

10. N.Vodden

N.Vodden Engaging Member

What are the advantages of the 22mm or smaller kits, what improvements do they offer?

11. Tyler durdon

They are more efficient. Lighter internals. Lock time is super fast . 6DB5D44F-810E-4536-A040-3BA85D8608A3.png
    That’s my 22mm internals/piston is around 120 grams , a stock piston is around 270 .

12. N.Vodden

N.Vodden Engaging Member

Ahh I see, thanks for the information!

rusty cogs likes this.
  13. N.Vodden

N.Vodden Engaging Member

Managed to get a short break in the weather this afternoon so I put 2 x 10 shot strings over the chrono.

With an 8.4gn pellet (AA.Diabolo Field) the average from both strings was the same at 239ms. That's 784.1fps which comes to 11.47 ftlb.

The highest speed was 241ms which was only one pellet out of the 20 and that works out at just over 11.6 ftlb so I'd say its averaging around 11.5 and it has picked up about half a foot pound from a clean and lube.

It still does have a slight twang, nowhere near how it was before but still not quite gone. What do you think is the simplest and cheapest option to try to eliminate it - quality tophat and spring guide?

Reevo17 likes this.
  14. Tyler durdon

Yes makes a big difference

15. rabbitcatcher

rabbitcatcher Engaging Member

what spring you using Tyler?looks a long one mate.

16. Tyler durdon

Titan no12 yes I know what your saying pal !
    This is all the work of nick gibney and it’s very good to ! I will post a full review of the performance when I have the tyro stock fitted as it’s my open sight rifle . So far it’s very impressive.

rabbitcatcher likes this.
  17. rabbitcatcher

well I got a titan 13,its at 30 coils-down from 36.Going to use it in my 177 hw95 to power a titanium piston I have as a trial.Needs plenty of spring/pre load to lessen bounce.See how it goes when I try it in new year!

Tyler durdon and Reevo17 like this.
  18. Tyler durdon

That sounds very interesting!!
    The 22mm speed in the 77 is shocking such a light weight piston. I haven’t had much time to test yet , but here are some groups with open sights , mix of standing unsupported and rested 5 shots each 17 m 3F842C3B-4AA6-4523-9CA8-C3594A010490.jpeg 46E4B08B-E844-415F-8C8E-E05565170438.jpeg

Reevo17 likes this.
  19. rabbitcatcher

Decent groups from that position.Wonder if with light pistons the barrel may prefer light pellets for best performance.

20. Tyler durdon

A mix of 7.3 /7.8 /8.4 , I’ve yet to put a scope on it so we will see

rabbitcatcher likes this.