1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Tinkerers guns extinct?

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by pjbingham, Jun 1, 2015.

1. pjbingham

pjbingham Prime Kentish Beef

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but where are all the cheap old air rifles and pistols these days? It's not that long ago that you could buy something wanting work for peanuts if not a "take it away mate you'll be doing me a favor" I've always loved taking something which really is beyond it and pressing it back into service wether if be a Webley Junior or a BSA Cadet etc, you no the sort of thing, soak in penatrating oil ready for the weekend and then looking forward to abit of shed time to strip it down and piece the old girl back together,not nessasarily into a show winner but a good usable gun. I must have done scores like this over the years and most I've sold or passed on because I just enjoy doing it. It seems like now every box of bits is "highly collectible" and commands big money,some of you may have seen that tonite a BSA Cadet stock sold on FLeabay for £50 and that was needing a strip and revarnish.Dont get me wrong, all the best to the seller,fair play he got a good price and I don't blame him one bit I'm just using this as an example of what I'm talking about price wise. Why is it people seem to get more for Knackered parts? How many of these boxes of bits are being returned to working order for future generations and how many are cases of jumping on the bandwagon and biting off more than they can chew only to get binned in the future? Is it a nationwide thing that local auctions,boot fairs and antique shops no longer seem to have any of these fixer uppers anymore? Phil.

2. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

You tell me!
    Only a couple of years ago I could go to the local auctions and buy trays of "stuff" and very often there was a decent item in there that I could resell at a decent profit, or more often squirrel away into my loft.
    Not any more.
    Even charity shops are putting bits on the bay, or the staff are buying at a discount and doing the same.
    It's a hard hard world!!

3. pjbingham

Sounds like it's just the same up your way then,hopefully all these guns are still ending up in the hands of genuine collectors and enthusiasts and not people who just want to cash in on what appears to be a current trend because some may be "lost" forever when interest wains or prices tumble as fashions change. Love your quote by the way,very apt! :)

4. norman

norman Donator

You should have come to our (Melbourne Marksmen) vintage airgun Fayre Phil...loads of cheap airguns to buy for do'er upper's...if you are ever near us give me a PM...i'll sort you out...surprised Dunks didn't see them..:shrug:

5. pjbingham

That would have been good,quite a distance though but never say never, end up on training corses all over from time to time so thanx :)

6. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

I was the one to say "take it away fella, enjoy it, no money mate, buy me a beer next time you see me". Done this loads of times, until someone said it was for their kid to plink. Handed over my Airsporter .22 bought by me when I was 11 ish, go for it mate, I hope he enjoys it like I did. Next I hear he sold it for £170.00. So much for his kid eh, still, now like the rest I will chance my hand on eBay. Got a very old HW35 near mint I almost gave away to my neighbour's son, any time before that I would have handed it over, now I'd go for the cash...

7. c96

c96 Donator

protec have some nice cheap stuff on there sight. Had some good stuff from them in the past.:up::)

8. pjbingham

Thanks for that I will take a look at their site :)

9. c96

c96 Donator

most wellcome.:)

10. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

A few years ago the sales sections were hot with literally dozens for sale,minters,fixer uppers of most types.
    Today you browse the sales as you rightly say not a lot especially cheaper fixer uppers.
    Values on some seem low too but not all and I think some sales are slow.
    I stuffed a few in the loft for latter years nothing special just older fixer uppers.
    For some they get the bug then bug out so their are lots ready to be sold when they finally can part with them possibly.
    A lot of fixers got broke up for fleebay too and still do.
    Keep em peeled .

11. pjbingham

Gixxer,yes your right alot do seem to end up as parts on FLeabay,I know that some people think it's wrong to break collectable Airguns down but I confess I've bought parts to get various Airguns of mine up and running and I would like to think that no-one would break something that isn't beyond economical repair :s I am quite new to the Forum although not to shooting and I have been made to feel very welcome and visit everyday,however if I had one small criticism it would be that the Sales section seems alittle slow especially in the collectable area but maybe I've just joined at a quiet time. It pains me to think that items that we would all love to own,restore,collect are in the hands of non enthusiasts simply because they seem to be "fashionable" at the moment and possibly better than money in the bank.