1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Tinbum Tuning Kit - HW95

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 177, Apr 17, 2014.

1. 177

177 Donator

OK, this started off with a factory stock HW95 Luxus in .22 flavour.

The gun was going to get the standard treatment: stripped, deburred, polished piston, my standard lube (buffing the lube into surfaces, etc).

Instead, I simply deburred and reassembled to keep things as close to factory stock as I could.

Power with 15.89gr JSB Exacts was a very consistent 10.42 FPE with only 4 FPS variance over 10 shots. Very impressive for a stock gun. So far, so good :)

Enter the Tinbnum kit.

[​IMG]

What’s in the box ?

(bubble wrap removed)

[​IMG]

Aparently those are instructions in there but, being a bloke, and being as I only had a few minutes last night between getting in and going back out to sort an unruly Linux mail server out :rolleyes: I totally ignored them in favour of getting after it.

So I quickly tore down the gun and popped the top hat and spring guide in with a light smear of lube.

Within a few minutes I had the gun back together and 20 odd pellets shot through to settle things down.

The gun still cocked as smooth as before but this is where things start to get...

... interesting...

Taking the original 10.43 FPE and 4fps variance as a baseline, the gun now shoots like this (fps):

That’s hovering more or less right on 11 FPE with a very respectable 3 FPS variance over the shot string. If we take the single 557 FPS shot out of the above string we are down to a 2 FPS variance :eek:

:cool:

The gun has a nice, soft firing cycle, and this test was conducted using pellets right out of the tin (no sorting, washing or lubing).

Other than a debur everything in the gun is stock :eek:

Keep several factors in mind here:

This is a spring rifle, not a regulated PCP
    This is not a tuned rifle
    The cost of the kit is fractional compared to others currently available
    No components were hurt, injured or discarded during this process ;)
    There is nothing fundamentally wrong with a factory spring and piston seal (assuming the seal is in good shape and wasn't nicked in factory assembly)
    Anyone with simple tools and the available time can install the top hat and spring guide
    The improvement was immediate and very apparent

I could go on (you all know that by now though ;) ) but the above illustrates a couple of very salient points and is within reach of anyone who can tie their own laces before they leave the house ;)

Titan and V-Mach mainsprings are all well and good but not everyone wants or needs what they offer and, as a very quick way to immediately improve your spring rifle, this little kit is a great step up in performance.

An advisory note: I've said it before but it's important to always remember, if you plan on monkeying on with your gun's internals make sure you have access to a chrono before and after any work. Had the above rifle been averaging 11.5 before I started I would probably have ended up going over the limit by installing the kit, so some work to collapse or remove a spring coil would be required.

Let's keep it on the right side of the limit, shall we ?

It's a great niche that Nick has started to capture. Not everyone wants or needs a fully blown tuning kit and, for a very nominal cost, this represents a great way of vastly improving your gun's shot cycle and manners.

I've tried them all, Venom (back when they were still Venom), V-Mach, Welsh Willy, Maccari, Vortek, etc,. but this is very different, giving a cost effective path towards a better mannered gun that takes minutes to install.

What's not to like ?

TbT Kits :up: :up: :up:

2. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

Thankyou for posting your results.:)

It almost exactly matches the original figures I got with my HW99s when I was developing the kit. Its good to see real benefits for the price of a couple of tins of pellets!

AlistairS, Brandon James and Blackmax like this.
  3. trumpetier

trumpetier Very Active

Do you need the customer to send you there spring Tinny for you to size the guides ?

4. pmb

pmb Well-Known Member

I has an original tinbum pre-production kit - in - get this - an HW95 (.177 cal) previously owned by tinbum himself!

Just think how much it's gonna be worth once he's died (probably from a pasty overdose). :up:

I can't wait till I can be bothered to chrono the thing! (excellent / near-amazing results posted by the OP btw :cool: ).

ATB - Phil :p

5. Tinbum

The simple answer is no! My stock kits are for factory supplied springs, if its a Titan then I have the data, and if its another a measurement with a vernier will do. Which gun are you thinking of?

6. 177

177 Donator

I'm going to try and get a tin or so of pellets through the gun over the weekend to settle it down still further and shoot it in, then chrono again after a few hundred shots.

If it stays as steady as it is now I plan on benchresting some groups to see how far I can push what is effectively a slightly modded stock gun. Should be interesting to see how tight I can get it to print compared to the usual fully blown springers I tend to shoot.

I've said it before often enough but you can match and in some cases surpass a tuning kit with the addition of a top hat, if you do a good polish and fettle in the process.

7. Tinbum

I can't remember what stage of development I was at when I did that one, it could be anything in there!:eek:

There'll be room in the "Tinbum, The Early Years" exhibition for it though........:p

8. trumpetier

trumpetier Very Active

my 99 in .22....and hoping to get another 95 so possibly that depending on how it shoots

9. Tinbum

A stock kit will be perfect. It was a 77 and then the 99 I used to perfect the design. The delrin top hat replaces the piston weight and reduces the recoil markedly.

10. trumpetier

trumpetier Very Active

Could you please pm me your price for the 99 kit please matey

11. HWnut

HWnut Busy Member

Where I can buy that tuning kit?

EDIT: Found it in your signature Tinbum. ^^
    Too bad you only ship inside UK...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  12. Tinbum

If you check my website you'll see I export too! I've sold some to a guy in Italy this week! All I would say is I can post ten for the same price as one, so ask your mates!;)

13. Darrenm

Darrenm Donator

Fitted to hw80

Great product, the results were as expected, service was excellent and nothing's too much trouble for this guy...
    80 now running bar 10.4 ft lbs with no twang at all...
    Excellent product at a sensible price...
    Thanks

QUOTE=Tinbum;1074520]If you check my website you'll see I export too! I've sold some to a guy in Italy this week! All I would say is I can post ten for the same price as one, so ask your mates!;)[/QUOTE]

14. hairyarms

hairyarms .

I had a short stroke kit and a top hat from Nick for my TX200.The chap probably doesn't need any more good comments(your probably sick of that lathe!)but I have had a chance to try it properly now and the kit has made a great gun even better,its doing 11.2 FPE with RWS Superdomes and the firing cycle is super fast.I will probably be getting a tuning kit for my HW 99 aswell.Here are my 3 guns my favorites the middle one a Umarex Perfecta in .177. View attachment 98317

15. Darrenm

Darrenm Donator

Hairy arms
    i was impressed with the TX when I shot it at Kinver ARC; tinbum is working on a short stroke for the HW80, looking forward to trying one....regardless of outcome...
    my 80 shoots like a dream with the kit in and it will be even better once run in..

I'll be glad when the twang from that 99 stops...only joking!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  16. hairyarms

hairyarms .

Hello Darren,How many guns have you got mate? MY 99 is ok I took it all apart to see what the scraping noise was but couldn't see anything?I just think its the plastic block rubbing the action,the cocking arm on my Umarex Perfecta has scraped 2 big ruts in the action but nobody gives a monkeys about them! Its still going ok though.See you at Kinver one of the days ATB Micah

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  17. Darrenm

Darrenm Donator

Mmmmmm....only one ;) wife's sitting next to me...
    see you soon
    Daz

18. ste

ste Posting Addict

Hi Tinbum are you still doing short stroke kits for the tx200 of so what sizes and do you do sizes to order (custom)
    Thanks
    Ste

19. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

Go for it is all I can say I'm v pleased with my prosport kit. A bit of Detroit and a tinbum kit transform any rifle.

20. Tinbum

Yes Steve, I can make any parts you need if you give me some measurements.

The standard TX short strokes are 10&13mm, but I now also have extensions which use the HW 25mm seal. They are far more efficient than the TX seal and give very good performance gain for little outlay.