1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Tight pellets or small barrel - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Dag, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I have a new HW45 and find it difficult to seat pellets properly. It started with RWS Hobbys but I've now tried variety of pellets all of which seem more difficult to seat than other guns and some which are of a harder material than others definitely take a push with a golf tee to seat.
    This has got me wondering whether it is a bore diameter issue or just a lack of choke.
    If it is the latter I'm thinking it shouldn't be too difficult to ease the barrel entry to allow any pellet to sit deeper. It is just a question of thinking what to use to something with a .177 taper to do the job.
    Alternatively if it ends up that harder pellets need to be resized I'm wondering what peeps use when they talk about pushing pellets through a resizing device? Or do they roll them betweeeen two surfaces?
    Any suggestions welcome
    Dag:confused:

2. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

It can't be a choke issue as the choke is at the other end of the barrel. It has to be a pellet issue. Just hang on until another HW45 user comes along to help with the pellet issue. atb Paul.

3. yorkshireshoot

yorkshireshoot Posting Addict

Try some 4.5 , 4.51 mate maybe they'll be better . Also try jsb aa the more consistently sized pellets as some cheaper ones vary a lot .

4. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I did wonder if I had the terminology right! Thanks. Is there a proper term for the slightly larger diameter section where the pellet is seated ?
    Dag

5. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Is the HW45 one where your pushing the pellet straight into the rifleing?
    If so its probly why its snug pushing a pellet in.

6. Wynne G Oldman

Wynne G Oldman Engaging Member

Try R10 Match. I find Hobby's are a bit on the big side. You can buy R10 Match in smaller sizes too (4.49 etc.), but even the 4.5mm ones aren't as tight as Hobby's. ;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  7. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Thanks for your replies.

Akita: Yes apart from a very small chamfer approx 1mm deep if that, the pellet is going straight into the rifling

Wynne: Measuring some pellet skirts with a vernier I'm getting something like:
    4.61 for JSB Exacts 4.52's
    4.62 for Daystate Rangemaster Li
    4.66 for AA Fields 4.52
    4.70 for RWS Geco
    4.77 for RWS Superdome
    4.78 for RWS Hobby

Obviously the Hobby will seem a tad more difficult and I'll just have to persevere pushing them home until I've used up the tin......sorry 5 tins!! I will look for the R10's , thanks for the suggestion
    Dag

8. greyskull

greyskull Posting Addict

Hi (J),
    Only me,Just to let you know I have some AA diablo match 4.49 you can try tomorrow and see if they are any better,
    Atb Nev.

9. Wynne G Oldman

Wynne G Oldman Engaging Member

10. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

You are a star Nev!
    Thanks
    Dag

Ps Just noticed Wynne's post re sizes. I'll watch out for that, thanks Wynne!

11. ped

ped Big Poster

the chamfer at the breach is called a leade it's not unheard of for this to be not to be finished properly try taking the barrel out then using a tapered hand ream increase the leade then polish it with rolled up fine emery paper if you've access to a lathe this only takes 5mins or so but by hand alot longer
    ped

12. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I imagined it might have a term to describe it. It is very pronounced on my Slavia pistol. I'll have a bash at doing that but will see how I get on with the smaller diameter pellet first. Are barrels hardened? I guess they must be?
    Thanks ped
    Dag

Edit: Having looked at tapered hand reamers I'm wondering how well they would work with rifling all the way up to the breach?. Would it cause the flutes to bite I wonder?

13. greyskull

greyskull Posting Addict

14. ped

ped Big Poster

air rifle barrels are quite soft and i've found the cheap hand reams of evil bay do the job ok for removing the bulk of the material then it's just a case of smoothing and polishing with the different grades of paper
    ped

15. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Sell your Hobbys on here....loads o folk love Hobbys