1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts On The Smith & Wesson M&p 15-22?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by 300bhp/ton, Jan 21, 2020.

1. 300bhp/ton

300bhp/ton Engaging Member

Anyone got one of these? Online reviews look pretty good. UK prices look horrendous vs the USA :( :(

Anything similar that anyone would recommend?

Also, does anyone know what the different variants are of this gun? Sportsman Gun Centre list 7 variants. The different colours and ones including a red dot are fine. But anyone know the differences otherwise? Think I've seen at least 4 descriptions/titles, but nothing to tell me what the differences are, just a spread of prices.

2. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

I wasn't impressed to be honest, I know some people have had them as club guns & they've never gone wrong (even with the slamfire recall) but its plastic, feels plastic & felt flimsy like plastic to me.
    I know the Kriss is more money but you can tell where its gone, feels like & has all the control's of a proper AR.

3. Captain_Slackbladder

Captain_Slackbladder Well-Known Member

As rich79 says it works and is reliable but feels flimsy and light weight like a toy. Tippmannn Arms is much better imho.

ThirtyAughtSix likes this.
  4. mmamonster

mmamonster Very Active

Crap mate, brother inlaw has one, cheap nasty things.
    Much better guns available
    Atb

5. 300bhp/ton

Thanks for the heads up, anything you'd recommend?

mmamonster likes this.
  6. 300bhp/ton

Since posting this tread I stumbled across the Kriss. Like the look, quite a bit more money, but should be doable. Even more so if any of the sellers offer finance. Having trouble finding many people selling them though, and nothing remotely local. Do you know who the importer is for them or if anyone in the Beds/Bucks/Herts area stocks them?

7. rich79

Are you anywhere near Havant? Firing solutions do them.

8. rich79

Sorry, thought you said Hampshire, the importer is apparently a company called Shield who also import S&W!

Keith taylor likes this.
  9. The burpster

The burpster Busy Member

So doing a LOT of PR and 3 gun let me start by saying no one uses a MP15-22 around here. I have seen plenty and shot a few but most owners either just have them to play or for wives/children. Great for chucking lots of ammo down range, but not tremendously accurate and have had some issues.

if it’s GOT to be a AR clone you have quite a few options . Chiappa M4 (kinda OK and very nearly a AR but not quite), KRISS and Tipmann (budget AR platforms :thumb:), then a big £ step up to Northwest custom, LANTAC & CMMG (proper AR uppers/lowers and internals and better quality barrels).

if it has to be a Black rifle but not necessarily an AR clone then the SIG 522 makes a Very Good VFM buy (but it’s a bit long in the tooth now and SIG no longer make them), CZ 512 tac is a bit of an oddball but VERY capable or a custom built Ruger 10/22 using Volquartsen parts, or my fave and what I now own, the Grand Power Taranis22.

10. rich79

I tried a club members last year, the main thing that stood out for me was it had possibly the worst trigger I've ever used on a rimmy!
    After the third shot it was all I could think about & the target went out the window.

The burpster likes this.
  11. The burpster

The burpster Busy Member

agreed as std it was very heavy and ‘grunt proof’, but it was never a ‘target’ rifle it was designed as a training rifle for ‘mericans..... Nuff said.

I was guided through reworking mine and it broke smoothly at 3lbs. I believe mine was anomaly as it was competition winning accurate. It’s current owner is VERY pleased! ;)

rich79 likes this.
  12. mmamonster

mmamonster Very Active

Here's my ruger sr 22
    20180522_180216.jpg

If I had the money I would go for AR
    Atb
    Mart

Blue BSA likes this.
  13. 300bhp/ton

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

It hasn’t got to be an AR or even tactical. I’m a little torn. Never had one before.

Whatever I get it needs the ability to take down a crow/rabbit. So anything with acceptable accuracy will fit the bill here.

I do like the idea of a semi-auto though and some rapid fire ability. I also have no issues at all with the tactical look.

I don’t know if I should go cheap for something like a Marlin 60 or Rugar 10/22 of some kind. But happy to spend more to get nicer/more fun. Ability to fit a moderator/suppressor would be a bonus too.

If the S&P was priced like it is in the States I think it’d be fine. But based on the info in this thread it is no longer a contender.

If I don’t go for a semi-auto then I think a classic looking under lever will be the choice. But something able to send 20-30 bullets down range in little time has an appeal all of its own.

But not at the expense of a dreadful trigger or awful accuracy and build quality.

The burpster likes this.
  14. The burpster

The burpster Busy Member

Puts you in a completely different market place then.......:thumb:

anschutz LR - very inexpensive and effective vermin tool.

CZ LR - (2nd hand) also as above

iMHO steer clear of Rugers unless you want to spend lots to make it accurate and reliable

If you can find a nice Beretta/Voere they are also nice hunting rifles.

probably the nicest smoothest new one available at the moment is the Savage A22.

A new CZ 512 is also a good bet.

Blue BSA and mmamonster like this.
  15. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Pro Poster

I am amazed at some of the responses above, the MP15-22 is simply the best option at the price point and for reliability.

I bought 5 for the club, literally they have shot a milllion rounds over 5 years, not one issue and they rarely if ever get cleaned.

There are higher quality guns for sure but not at the price point and DONT EVER touch Walther Umarex or any of the other tactical clones, EVER! you get me LOL!

The burpster and mmamonster like this.
  16. mmamonster

mmamonster Very Active

I brought the scar clone 22 lr brand new what a bag of s**t. Looked smart but was useless.
    Did all the mods to help cycle and eject better but was still no good.
    Atb
    Mart

17. rich79

Ive seen most of them, clovers RM8 thread springs to mind, they've all got drinking straw barrels with a sleeve on, nasty triggers & mazak cast bodies, can't imagine much longevity from any of them.

The burpster likes this.
  18. FX

FX Donator

I have one - had it for quite a while now

Yes, it is light and has plenty of plastic / poly in the build

But, it has never broke, jammed or let me down - even when I took the pi$$ and use cheap and dirty rounds
    It hits where I aim and is loads of fun to use

For the money, IMHO its a bargain.
    Each to their own, there are more solid and better built options out there, but they are much heavier and more expensive.

Compared to a Ruger, its super easy to field strip and re assemble.

If it ever broke, given how long I have had it and how much use it has had, I would get it repaired or immediately buy another in a heart beat.

WR14210 likes this.
  19. rich79

Most lever actions are American which means anti lawsuit triggers, I have a marlin 39a & really it's just a plinker for 25-50yds, I've been using blazer standard through it & rested at 50yds it struggles to stay below a 2" group.
    No doubt some decent match subs would improve this but even if it halved the group size it's still no good for hunting (plus you can't fit a mod because of the mag tube), Ruger do a lever action called the 96/22, its basically a lever action 10/22 so I'd imagine alot of the same mods fit like mags etc.
    Screenshot_20200122-202303~2.png

Blue BSA likes this.
  20. The burpster

The burpster Busy Member

....and to think for a while, I was actually considering a Walther PPQ....:facepalm:

got a Brand new GP K22 for less than the PPQ anyway and it knocks spots off it. :nana: