1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

this realy pi**es me off

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by clabby, Jun 27, 2008.

1. clabby

clabby Banned

i have noticed on many forum that when you get a newbie to air rifles they always seem to ask what is the best type of gun to get and most people say a PCP and this really P**es me off be coz its not the best type of gun for a newbie what is the point in spending so much much on a bloody gun that they have no idea how to look after it properly and so on whats wrong with springers they are good THEY DON'T NEED FILLED AFTER SO MANY SHOTS, THEY DON'T LEAK AIR and THEY ARE CHEAPER. its really just get to me that most people say get a PCP for your first gun half of them don't even no what the hell a PCP is GRRRRR wish people wood stop being so thick. i wood have any spring rifle over a PCP if i had the choice i HATE THE BLOODY THINGS!!!!!! but PCP always seems to be the bloody answer NO ITS NOT!!!!!!

dam that feels better

clabby

2. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I have to agree that PCP's aren't for everyone, I also agree that they aren't the cheapest rifles on the market and I also agree that they do require far more support equipment than any other rifle. Right...now for the "buts" (single "t" notice). I've learned the hard way with several of my hobbies that it's often false economy to by cheap. Buy cheap, buy at least twice, so unless a low budget is vital due to either not knowing whether it's for you, or just because the money isn't available, buying the best you can lay your hands on is often ultimately the "cheapest" option. A learner will shoot far better initially with a PCP, because it shoots where you point it, but I will admit shooting a springer teaches better technique. If I had bought a PCP first, I would have saved a lot of money in the long run and when it's time to buy another, that too will be a PCP. I know there are those that wouldn't have one and that's fine, their choice, but to say it's not good advice to tell newcomers about PCP and shout about their virtues I think is wrong.

3. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

PCPs are expensive but you can pick one up quite cheap second hand, something like an Air Arms S200 second or third hand wouldn't set you back that much at all - maybe £150?

The charging equipment can be cheap, again second hand, not that much at all.

I would probably say though that a springer would be much better as a first gun, namely because it's cheaper, easier to use and maintain.

4. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

I think the best advice for anyone new to any sport hobby or pastime is to buy second hand to begin with in the case of airguns it doesn't matter if it's spring gas ram pcp or c02 by buying second hand if they look after it and keep it in the same condition as they bought it in then they should be able to resell it for the same price if they decide they don't like the sport or if they want to change to a different gun when someone new asks what is the best gun i think the best thing we can do is not reccomend anything to them but suggest they visit a club or shop and actually see what they like

5. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

I still think input from forum members is very valuable to anyone looking to buy.

I enjoy the simplicity of springers, but in my opinion they just aren't up to the kind of hunting I do.

My advice would be, if you know you like airgunning, buy the best you can afford, be it spring, gas, co2, pcp or whatever. You'll get what you pay for.

6. clabby

clabby Banned

yea what you guys are saying is true but y is it always get a pcp a cheep decent springer will do the same as a pcp. i am not dis atvantaged shooting against people with pcps at the gun club my scoring is just as good as them and i have no problem hunting with it. it meats all my needs and i dont need to charge it . and a springer is not does not loose power like some pcps and all co2 guns with the rise and fall of tempriture

7. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

Whenever you ask someone to recomend something you will get one of two answers they will either reccomend what they own or have owned or they will recomend what they wish they owned so as most people use pcps thats why they reccomend them. These days springer users are becoming a minority and as a springer fan myself i think thats sad but i do use pcps myself as there are advantages to them that cannot be achieved with a springer the pcp allows me to use a bipod and extend the range over which i can shoot. There is no right or wrong as long as the recoomendations are honest and based on experience then it's all good advice. Don't let it wind you up the most important thing is that anybody new is welcomed into the sport and is given good advice that enables them to enjoy themselves learn and progress.

8. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I'm sorry Clabby, but that statement simply isn't true. It may have less of an effect and it's certainly in the opposite direction than co2, but it's still there. When the air is hotter it's less dense, which means a cylinder full contains less air molecules than when it's cold. This makes the air in the cylinder more compressible and therefore ends up with less pressure when the piston's done it's work. Not by much I grant you, but it's there. CO2 is the opposite a hot CO2 bottle is higher pressure than a cold one. PCP's in theory shouldn't be affected, as you're working on a known pressure to start with, not a volume related pressure.

I feel that newcomers should be given advice on all types of gun and what each type is best used for. Good and bad experiences should be related but the one thing that should never be pushed is personal preference disguised as fact. Straight, honest facts, in plain English that enable the person to decide what would be the best option for him or her.
    The "I would never have a springer" or "PCP's are crap" type statements should never enter into it.

9. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

This could easily turn into another .177" vs .22" type debate.

Much like each calibre, each type of rifle has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

10. clabby

clabby Banned

the thing with the calibers is a argument that will never be won. I no the newer people to air rifles ask for people advice and say they are thinking of a spesic gun and people say don't get that get a PCP it just bugs me with the majority of people that say don't get a spring rifle get a PCP and that just really gets to me. and its not got any thing to do with me disliking PCP it just that PCP seem to be the answer to what new comers are asking if that makes any sense. and the best advice given is go to a club and try a few rifles out wich i agree with not just get a pcp

11. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

It's a different air-gunners points of view, one will say springer another will say, PCP....Its a toss up, its a little like when, the fishing rod was, taken over by the, roach/carp pole, I know what l'd like to fish with (l have used both), most carp pole angler's wouldn't know how to fish, on a fast running river, for carp.......that's where the experienced, angler that has used rod & line, come into his/her element......l recon, my self, you can use both and get, good results.........there again, having done both, l am very happy, at this moment in time, sticking with my S410 FAC, of witch was a sub-12ftps when l optained it.:up::D

12. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

As the replys to this thread have shown it comes down to personal preferance to tell someone a springer is best or a pcp is best is pointless because they may prefer the opposite as buzz said give them all the info and then let them make up there minds. By the way andy i can fish stick float, waggler, feeder, straight lead, pole and whip some of us are just good at it all :D

13. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

totally agree mate, l may take you, fishing mate, if l get the time, when lm down, your way.....but you know what the women are like, .....She will say, all ya care are abt is ya shootin/mates....Lol:D:D:D...thats life:p

14. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

fishing we can do easy the local club lake is at the bottom of my road we can nip down with the avon rod the carp will be on the surface when you visit ;) get her talking to my mrs and that will give us a couple of hours cos mne don't shut up :D

15. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Tell me about it, nore mine. Lol :D:D:D

16. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

What about fly fishing :D:D:D

17. clabby

clabby Banned

i cant get the hang of a pole but a whip on a small river for roach is fun

18. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

yes i also fly fish sea fish carp fish and pike fish i'm just a legend:D

19. clabby

clabby Banned

jammy the word show off comes to mind i used to fly fish the closest thing to sea fishing i do is float fish for mullet on light course tackle aint ever caught a fish sea fishing lol

20. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

Yes Jamjon,I remember seeing you once on the tele,fishing the local village pond for Marlin :D what a day that was, strapped into your wicker creel,with the fish leaping out and scaring all the ducks....... John Wilson eat your heart out !!!!!!:cool::cool::cool: