1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of selling up

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by RichieRich, Nov 23, 2015.

1. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Before reading, i should point out, i am only thinking at the moment, so please, no P/M's offering to buy. Please wait for the sales thread if i decide to. Thanks.

Anyhow...

As the winter is setting in, and i find myself going to the range maybe once in six weeks, i'm wondering if i'm just losing my interest in the sport or the rifle? With Christmas coming, i could do with the extra money, so i was thinking of selling, and maybe buy another in the new year when work's bonus comes along.

As my preferred range is some 90-mile round trip from where i live, the travel through the Metro-centre roadworks on the A1 has become a PITA to deal with, and I can't be arsed to go on my own these days for such a distance. Which means the only time i usually go these days is if there's at least 2 of us going in the car, and when i'm not busy with work.

Has anyone else been in the same boat? I'm torn with what to do :(

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

I'm with you on the metro centre roadworks, I live in castleford, near Wakefield, and run up there 3 times a week and it's a nightmare, however, my rifle has laid idle for around 6 months now but I do like having it here!! I've just secured another permission and I've given up with going to the range.
    Even a bit of back garden plinking can keep the thoughts at bay!!

3. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Unfortunately, backyard plinking is no good for me, and permissions are very hard to come by up here. I have one on a golf course, but i'm done for the year with the dark nights/mornings, since the players like to use all of the daylight on the course :(

4. jameswrx

jameswrx Engaging Member

My advice would be.. If you don't need to sell for financial reasons, don't sell.

There's no harm in having your guns stored up for a while. Come spring time you may feel different, things can change.

Also, you say about the dark mornings. Why not build some night vision gear and try that out in the late afternoons on the golf course?

5. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

If you are not desperate for cash don't sell. You will regret it. I have been there befor.

6. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I have the same every winter,

winter where I am is never shooting friendly, by now my permission is normally just a mud bath, if I had somewhere indoors I could get some plinking sessions in I would be happy!!!

by spring I'm ready to go, firmly bitten by the bug again,

just ride it out mate:up:

7. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    another way of thinking about it rich, is that its false economy, as you know that you will probably come back to the sport.
    you will sell at a lot less than you bought your kit for, then later replace it with kit that costs top dollar, so you will end up shooting again, but at much more expense.
    if it were me, and you didn't need the money, i would just clean it and put it away till needed .... you know it makes sense mate

8. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Sounds like either night vision or maybe a torch would solve most of your location problems and the best thing about this time of the year is that you can get some decent night shooting in and still get home in time for your tea - go on, you know it makes sense!

9. 177

177 Donator

One problem you may face is that everyone else can probably do with the money around this time of year as well, so this may adversely affect your ability to sell at all or to at least realise an acceptable price that minimizes your loss.

It really is a buyers market at the moment.

Saying that, any pass time I get into is done on the basis that I am prepared to walk away from any investment, to an extent.

We've all seen the 'car requires work', 'mortgage is due' threads which raises certain questions.

I travel the route you mention 5 days a week and it's tragic and I've not been to Swarland Range for ages, purely on the basis that the round trip is prohibitive and I have other places to shoot.

Taking your golf course permission into account I would have thought Terry's advice would resolve your problem to a large degree.

Good luck finding an acceptable solution.

10. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

As with a lot of advice posted. Only sell up if you need too.

I've not been to a range for 2-3 weeks. Probably won't go for a few more if it stays this cold. Had 20 shots in the garden yesterday and that was enough before I could feel my fingers going.

I do clay shooting as well in all weather which helps but winter isn't the time for sitting around twiddling your windage so to speak!

11. Dynamite

Dynamite Donator

I've got a fair few rifles like most of us here...but there's some I wouldn't contemplate selling for various reasons.
    I sold my 22 hw100 and didn't really flinch...but my hw100 in 177 is the one of the most if not the most accurate rifle I own (well suited to a particular pellet)... And this one won't be going anywhere...I really don't think I'll find another like it.
    so if yours is super accurate(like mine)..don't sell it.
    also your permission...don't lose that!

12. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Cheers for the advice everyone!

While i would love to set up with NV, with crimbo coming, I haven't a hope :(

If i was to sell up, I'd be keeping my tank, my mates use it when they go, so it'll be in my locker for the time being, and there's no way I fancy parting with my CF tank unless i'm absolutely sure i want to sell up completely. If i were to come back to the sport, I'd look at pre-owned, so it's not a great loss if i was to get back into the sport :)

Permission-wise, it's being looked after anyhow, i'm not the only one with permission there, and i have it until i say i no longer want to shoot there :)

13. Mancity

Mancity Engaging Member

If you think you'll be back (which it sounds like you will), then id keep the gear. It always costs more to replace what you've sold, which I learnt with carp fishing.

14. Witterings

Witterings Posting Addict

The devil you know ...... you could sell a good gun and buy a pup when you come back into it, I think I'd evaluate how the good the gun you currently have is, if you fancy a change anyway then go for it but if you've got a good, accurate and reliable rifle I'd hang onto it if you can.

15. M5AFX

M5AFX Donator

Agree with this ^^^^

16. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Thanks for the comments guys! Appreciate your input.

TBO, if it wasn't christmas, i'd be keeping it. Just, if i had the extra money, i'd be able to treat the wife a little more than i did last year. Bless her, she puts up with a lot of my **** lol!

You never know, i may fancy a change come the new year, and there's always bargains to be had, so I figured due to the lack of use, it may be better off in someone else's hands and cash in mine. I'll keep my bonus to one side in Jan and see what's happening and if i decide to get back into it.

I'll have a good think tonight.

17. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 Donator

don't be so hasty mate that hw100 looks a nice one , itll take a lot of money to get another think before you leap , im after a hw100 ks in 22 now I have same as yours and a few more bits besides , they are lovely guns , I just need 2 bloody weeks to try and put it together now but the mrs keeps coming up with jobs, kitchen was this weekend im half way through :rolleyes:

18. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

I admit, it does look nice in that stock, but truth be told, i've been after a KT stock for it for the last month or two, but got nowhere. So if i sell and end up back into it, I'll be going for the KT (thats if i went back to a HW100 again, you never know lol)

19. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

If you need the money mate sell the set up. Buy another with your bonus from work.
    Keeping family life happy is much more important than having an air rifle that you may use once a month at most. Treat the wife and make her happy.
    There will be loads of rifles for sale after Xmas mate. You can replace a rifle but can't replace a Xmas that's been and gone

20. Kai87

Kai87 Donator

I wouldn't sell up matey.
    I was in the same boat recently, I stopped shooting completelyabout a year ago and sold everything, and 6-8months past with out any issues but then out of the blue the itch set in, I had no permission, local range needed membership and I carried on without shooting, after about a year all i could think about was buying a rifle and then I did,
    I have had to buy everything again and it has cost a fortune! And I wish I hadn't have sold up in the first place, I was lucky enough to buy some of my old stuff back but it has cost a bomb.

Seriously consider it before you do.