1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of getting a shotgun

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by jonnywise, Jun 7, 2014.

1. jonnywise

jonnywise Well-Known Member

Hi
    am thinking of getting backing in to shot gunning, after 15 year break.
    a mate of mine recommend a 12g beretta silver pigeon sporter
    any thoughts ?
    jonny

2. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

They are great guns. You won't get a much better all round gun.

What type of shooting will you do, would you be better off spending your budget on a couple of guns of different types rather than one expensive one???

Do you do a lot of decoying a semi auto would be a bonus.

Do you do general vermin control and not want to wear ear plugs or disturb people and animals, a silenced shotgun would be a bonus.

Maybe you do some ferreting or ratting and a .410 would be handy.

Might you get invited wildfowling a 3 1/2 inch chamber semi auto would be a huge help.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  3. scoop

scoop Busy Member

Great guns
    i missed out on one last year and been kicking myself since

4. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Ive had 2 silver pigeons 3's one I bought brand new, and shot everything going with it, pheasants,partridge,woodcock,woodies,crows, and clays in fact I came a couple of shots short of straightening a hard sporting layout once with it, with a score or 48 ex 50.

I sold that gun like an idiot due to my inpatience to buy a much more expensive gun that shot no better in fact worse.

I then bought a silver pigeon ltd edition with wood like an EELL grade, as well as it looked the stock dimentions were diferent from my first gun slightly and for some reason I didn't shoot that gun as well.

Ive just gone back to Browning as I think they fit me a bit better, but I must say that first silver pigeon 3 I had was my best shooting gun Ive ever owned in quite a lot of guns.

But Ive found the older silver pigeons seem to be a bit slimmer and fit me better, thinner stock dimentions, If you can get a game gun they make a brilliant pigeon gun, if you want to shoot clays go for a 30" sporter.

Some people just fit Brownings others Berettas but I can confirm both guns will hold value in fact they will go up, I just sold my LTD edition for £400 more than I paid, but like an idiot let my first one go for £950 cased mint and it was a 30" sporter, so If you can find a fool like me willing to part with one for anything like that kid of money you wont go far wrong, because I got £2500 for the LTD I had.

Failing that you can get a Browning 525 for about a grand these days and they will never let you down, another brilliant gun.

I suggest you go to a gunshop and mount both guns in a mirror and look where your pupil sits, it needs to be bang on the rib, if your above or below the Rib the gun would need alterations for you, but one or the other should fit if you average build probably Browning, if your on the big side, Beretta may suit more.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  5. jonnywise

jonnywise Well-Known Member

Hi
    will be shooting pigeons,rabbits mainly,but would like to do some clay as well.
    never thought of buying a auto, you get a extra shot I take it.?
    jonny

6. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Yes an extra shot. Also,

For semi autos:
    An extra cartridge is just pushed in the tube every time you take a shot no need to break the gun.
    Less recoil good for decoying where you often fire with a less than perfect stance.

Can be larger chambered so large loads can be used for very long range wildfowl etc.

They often have a scope rail so a running game scope and lamp will just drop on for night shooting, setting up a lamp on a double barrel is harder.

A sling is easer to fit so good if your hands are full or you need to do other stuff and keep your gun safe on your back.

Against semi autos:
    Not as good for clays as O/U
    Autos Spit empty shells all over.
    Can't really be used if you get a game shooting invite.
    Not as easy for it to be seen you are safe when walking around shooting with mates etc.
    You can only use one choke. In a double barrel you can use an open and a tighter choke.
    Harder to clean.

For most of my vermin control and decoying I use a pump action silenced 20 bore.
    No need for hearing protection, it does not disturb people or animals as much, it does not damage my gundogs hearing when sat in a hide together, a lamp or night vision is easy to fit as is a sling, it does not cause as much disturbance to the vermin and you get more shooting.
    On the down side they weigh more and are harder to shoot if you have not done a lot of shotgunning, are hard to clean, can't be used for clays or game shooting.

I only use the double barrels when shooting in a group or if I know the shooting will be fast like roost shooting in high wind.
    The semi auto is used if I need to fire large amounts of shot.

Cheers Andy

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  7. Jeffers001

Jeffers001 Engaging Member

It amazes me the amount of peep's who say 'semi-auto's spit empties everywhere'.. agreed, they do, but wherever I go I see just as many chucked out onto the deck by the o/u brigade.. I see very few bothering to catch them as they eject.. and it annoys me when they walk off to the next stand without picking all of them up!. I carry a small telescopic pole with a magnet on the end ('cos I canna bend) to pick mine up 5 or 6 at a time.. and usually pick some of theirs as well!.

8. RikkiWaldermar

RikkiWaldermar Busy Member

iam thinking of selling my urika2 semi auto beretta looking for around £700
    its the wood version

9. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

My dad used a Beretta 686 Special Sporter for about 25 years without a single thing going wrong - 100 shots every week. Eventually sold it and tried a Miroku and Browning but didn't like either. Went back to a Beretta 682 I think which wasn't anywhere as near as good quality as an old Beretta. Then he came across an earlier version of the 686 Special Sporter in very good condition and got it. Hasn't looked back.

Bascially Beretta's live a very long time.

I use a Lincoln Premier 29" MC. Suits me - got it for £600 new but they didn't have a Beretta in stock and this fitted me.

10. Paul Cann

Paul Cann Posting Addict

I have a very nice W&S 810 3 shot semi I can let go for £350 if you want something to get you going, I had a silver pig and agree that they are an excellent choice but not something I would want to go in the field with too often as I wouldn't want to scratch it or get it dirty :)

11. ishooter

ishooter Engaging Member

Go for pal i have an aya no2 sbs 12g and a pedretti 410 folder the aya is an expensive tool but i was lucky but my shootys were given to me. But both have there uses i tried clays once on the farm with the 410 lol barn door springs to mind.