1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Thin Brass Strip

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by telephonepete, May 16, 2018.

1. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

hi i,ve ordered from ebay some half inch very thin brass strip. its to cover the rear sight holes left behind when the back sight is removed. previously i have filled them with melted black crayon. when i get my hands on it i have to cut a length off the strip just long enough to cover the holes. the advise i need is how to cut the strip to leave a clean edge. i wondered about a sharp chisel and a smack from a heavy hammer.

2. pjgtech

pjgtech Donator

Metal snips (Tin snips)? Hacksaw and a file? Dremel cutter? :thumb:

Tiger36 likes this.
  3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Major Poster

Same as my MK1 80 Pete:thumb:
    image.jpeg

4. shauny

shauny Pro Poster

dremel with a cutting disc.

5. Tiger36

Tiger36 Well-Known Member

Yep tin snips, mind it doesn't bend the brass when you cut it.

6. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

exactly that but covering all the holes. whats the seperate one on yours? the first gun i,m doing is the 30 then two 99s. i think tin snips would bend the cut and i dont think that a dremel with a disk would cut straight enough. thats why i think a wallop with a very sharp chisel and hammer.
    its going to be too thin to hacksaw or file i think.

7. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Major Poster

Id like to take the credit for mine Pete but the 80 was already like this when I bought it. The small circular part would have been a void for the adjustment knob on the sight.

I haven't cut brass in years, but I do remember a fine hacksaw nice and slowing in a vice - and cutting along the top of the vice jaws nice and tight gives a good line before finishing and stops the thin brass moving with the blade.

8. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

hi mikey i havnt got the brass yet but thats a good tip about cutting across the top of the vise. i,ve ordered it but until it arrives i cant relate to the thickness in metric just that its the smallest thickness that they do. how is the single hole filled on yours?

9. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Major Poster

That's how I cut brass making a buckle years ago Pete. The small hole I've no idea mate, again like it when I got it. I'm assuming maybe some sort of hollow punch?

10. dan00001

dan00001 Busy Member

A straight edge and a few cuts with a knife should be enough to allow you to break the piece off but a dremel and cutting disc might be your best option. Followed by a few different grades of wet & dry on something flat to finish off the edge.

11. dan00001

dan00001 Busy Member

If you could give me an exact diameter of the hole, I have some brass rod here that I could have a go at turning down on the lathe to the desired diameter and could post to you.

** Even if it was slightly oversized, you could probably whack the brass rod in a drill chuck and turn it down to a perfect fit by hand using sand paper.

Plinker87 and RickOchet like this.
  12. Plinker87

Plinker87 Active Member

Bit of a hair brained idea if you want to give it a go with basic tools...here goes. Cut a small section with the dremel then superglue the piece onto a matching diameter of wooden dowel rod for the hole you want to cover. Supported by the dowel it should be a bit sturdier to work on, file and sand. Once it's flush and perfect let it soak in acetone and that should dissolve glue and it should pop off ready for use? If you have a pillar drill you could even try gluing the sheet onto a piece of timber and using a hole cutting bit to cut the discs mabey?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  13. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

thanks for the reply. my intention is to cover all the holes with the strip of brass. i was just intrigued as to how that small hole had so neatly been filled on mikey,s 80. you are correct my tools are very basic as am i. whats a pillar drill? i am having enough trouble trying to find a way to cut the brass strip neatly. my tools consist of a dremmel a leatherman and an opinel knife.

14. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

thanks for the offer but i,m covering all the holes with the brass strip.

dan00001 likes this.
  15. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

i have a very good dremmel. the only problem i have with cutting disc is cutting a straight edge. i have a feeling that when the strip arrives being the thinnest that they sell it may be so insubstantial as not to stand up to being wet and dried. i was hoping to do it in one sharp cut hence the hammer and sharp wood chisel. anyway it should arrive today so all will become clear.

16. robs5230

robs5230 Big Poster

If its really thin sheet Pete I'd be careful with a chisel (unless you have enough for a few goes). I'd score with a straight edge and a scribe or a good utility knife. You may find the knife will cut the sheet but you'll need a solid surface not wood to cut it on.
    It will most likely need finishing on a grinding wheel / or with emery wrapped around a metal block however you do it. Good luck

17. sidney

sidney Post Whore

If it’s thin enough, a Stanley and straight edge will do the trick. If it’s too thick for a knife, clamp it to a flat bit of wood and use a hacksaw, cutting only on the downstroke, through both the wood and the strip.

18. Guloluseus

Guloluseus Engaging Member

If its that thin, might try a nibbler. (Search for metal nibbler, otherwise you get some weird results). It will let you get very close to the shape, then a bit of fine wet and dry on a sanding block, and a light rub.
    Alternatively, If you have soft jaws for a vice with a good clean line on the jaws, nip it up and gently file down to size with a needle file.

19. Crash one

Crash one Engaging Member

Have you tried shops that do labels/engraving trophies etc. They punch out blanks to various sizes or use a guillotine to get all the burrs on the same side then finish on a flat face/wet and dry.

20. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

For straight cuts. Clamp between two pieces of ply then saw/jigsaw the profile. Finish with stone/abrasive sheet