1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Theoben Sirocco - scope suggestions please

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 177, Dec 23, 2013.

1. 177

177 Donator

OK, I have an early Theoben Sirocco, bought as a wreck with a lousy attempt at a spring conversion in it :rolleyes:

I sent the action over to the wonderful Martin Rutterford in America (Rapid Air Weapons) who built a new ram for it and, although it still looks a little worse for wear on the outside, it's shooting as sweet as a big box of sweet things, just nudging 11.1 FPE which is about as high as I'd want it. Keeping the power around the high tens or just pushing eleven makes gas ram guns easy to cock and relatively sedate when firing...

At some point in the reasonably near future I will refurbish the Walnut stock, but the metalwork will keep its scars.

It's a working gun and, as most of you already know, I hunt, a lot, and I'm not interested in FT, HFT or any other arms of our sport. Even if I was I doubt I'd be using gun like this for any of those disciplines.

So, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to suggest a scope to live on top of this old classic.

It doesn't have to be a period scope, and I'm not fussed about bells and whistles unless there's a sound rationale behind using them.

It can be AO or not, as the case may be, but I'd like to hear what you lot would put on top of a gun like this for hunting, and why.

Budget is very flexible, and it may well be that I'll end up going for something I already have to hand.

So, over to you lot and no squabbling at the back !

;)

2. JD

JD Donator

If your not fussed about reticles 177, a Tasco 2-7x32ag would be mychoice, very good optics for dawn or dusk.

3. landymick

landymick Big Poster

I have a Bushnell buckhorn 3-9x40 on mine not just for looks its made well holds zero & nice clear image with wide FOV ,just how i like them for hunting no messing 30/30 RET with usable mag.

4. doodsy

doodsy Donator

my go to scope is a Fontaine 3-9 x 40 ao duplex ret, no bells and whistles just crystal clear optics

5. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I know what the answer to this one is already....I think.;)

Do you have the built -in scope rings? If so what height are they?Standard height...if so, they should accomodate a 3-9x40 perfectly......and this is what it should look like!

[​IMG]

With a reticle like this.....

[​IMG]

177 knows what it is.....:D

6. Bilko130

Bilko130 Engaging Member

If it's any help, I have a Theoben Fenman Oylimpus, which I believe is similar. When I wanted to change scopes, I found limited availability of mounts. They are actually "Damper Mounts" which screw directly into the top of the action.

If your gun is the same, the biggest problem I found was finding a scope that would physically fit, due to the front lens fouling the barrel when cocked. That, and the limited choice of mounts. I did see some 30mm mounts on flea bay, they went for £50 quid!

I got a MTC Mamba lite to fit with the 25mm mounts that were on the rifle. A 3-12x50 Leupold I had did fit, but it was very, very tight. Shimmed it to raise it slightly to stop it touching the action.

Hope this helps

7. 177

177 Donator

Well, yes, as a matter of fact...

:D

That's one of a couple of alternatives that I already have to hand, or I don't mind buying something in to finish the rig off, it being the time of year it is and all that ;)

Following a positive dearth of Prostaff scopes I noticed Uttings suddenly have stock of the 3-9x40 BDC and other models.

What I have here right now that isn't already on a gun, or flagged to go on one that's inbound:

Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC
    Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 BDC (not AO)
    Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 1.75-5x32
    Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO BDC

There are a few others in boxes dotted around here and there but the above are of a certain level that I'd like to keep to.

That's still one of the best examples of a Theoben that I've seen :)

I cheated with mine - one of the mounts was pooched when I got the gun, along with most of the rest of it :( so I drilled out a replacement set of medium mounts on the milling machine and they bolt straight in :)

I'm still very aware of a 'size matters' issue with these guns though - anyone tried the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 BDC ?

I keep promising myself a try with one and I've not satisfied my curiosity yet...

On a loosely related subject I had a peep through a friend's Hawke Panorama EV AO IR 4-12x40 a few days ago and it's streets ahead of my 3-9x50 Panorama. Maybe I got a bad example, or maybe my mate got a particularly good one. It's still no match for the Prostaff and Diamondback scopes, or the Legend IMHO, but I was pleasantly surprised by it after my own less than favourable Panorama experience.

Anyhoo, thanks for the suggestions so far :D

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  8. smithys

smithys Busy Member

Well on my theoben sirocco 2000 ive mounted a cheap but good little scope it lived on my old rammer but recently mounted it to my sirocco, I will take pick in the morning and dont be fooled by the cheap price, ive got luepold an little simmons to a un named match style scope, but the little one in link has good glass even at night without a light or colour rectal not switched on must admit never liked colour rect, awsome scope for the money also dont need to be set up close like some.

9. warrenater

warrenater Donator

note to self stop looking at other peoples rifles and coveting them.:)

10. Bilko130

Bilko130 Engaging Member

Yes, but that really is a nice stock...

11. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

The nature of the cocking you need a compact scope - all those on the list will fit. I would shy off the Diamondback BDC bit - the hash marks are too far apart for airgun use really. Especially a sub-12 version. I am going ot put mine on the Rapid, I think it will be more use on there with the extra power.

It might be worth a look at the Crossbow version of a BDC - but the compact Prostaff fits perfectly and has useful airgun marks in the BDC reticle. I don't think it matters whether it is the 2-7 or the 3-9. Both are superb.

Thanks chaps - it is a particularly good outfit, and one I would hate to disturb. Some things need to be just left alone! I nearly got persuaded to part company with it .......I haven't relinquished my grasp just yet!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  12. smithys

smithys Busy Member

[​IMG]URL=http://s96.photobucket.com/user/grizzly69_2006/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PhotoChooser-136fc507-377c-46f3-b214-5dfd3c491149.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

13. Bilko130

Bilko130 Engaging Member

Good to see a few of the lesser known Theobens for a change, thought I was in the minority on here!

14. 177

177 Donator

Sometimes it can be good to walk the path less trodden :)

15. 177

177 Donator

This afternoon I picked up the Sirocco from my local RFD who had kindly inflated it back to just over 11 FPE

After replacing the barrel pivot and removing all play in the barrel, the breech seal was finally able to correctly seal during firing resulting in almost 16 FPE

That would explain why it was a pig to cock...

I immediately deflated the gun once I realised it was over and had it pumped back to more reasonable levels...

So this afternoon I dropped a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 1.75-5x32 scope on top and dialled it in. Took a dozen a so shots to get it more or less on the money, and then a bunch of ragged cloverleaf groups later I went out after pigeons, and came back with a couple brace of woodies :)

They were delicious...

;)

It's a lightweight rig, the scope works very well with the gun and, at the moment, I'm thinking of just leaving it as it is. I don't think I will use the multiple aim points offered by a BDC Prostaff so I will probably leave it alone and just use it as it is for sub 35 yard hunting. Seems to work...

Massive props to the wonderful Martin Rutterford at Rapid Air Weapons for building a new ram for this gun and reinstating its original power plant. It will never be a minter, but it is at least back to how it ought to be and running beautifully now that it's been sorted.

Pictures to follow once I get the stock rubbed down and oiled - it has a few marks on and it's as dry as a bone...

Happy days.

:D

16. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Great stuff. Good to know Martin is prepared to keep our guns across the pond working.....that will be a poke in the eye to the neer sayers! Theoben rifles should retain their well deserved value, especially now there is a proven route to getting replacement rams to keep the old stagers going. I was toying with the idea of selling the Taunus, but I doubt it now - there is too much soul in these old rifles that no modern rifle will ever achieve.