1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Theoben Range of Non-PCP's

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tomsteebs, Feb 15, 2014.

1. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

hi,

a simple question-

what do you think about the theoben break barrel/ gas ram range vs weihrauch etc...?

regards
    tom

ps-i think i asked similarly before but cant find the thread

2. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Go on your profile mate and look at all your threads ..it'll be there somewhere atb

3. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

it's evading my searches ;(

4. scoop

scoop Busy Member

I've shot a .22 fenman and a .22 and .177 hw 90 tb and prefered the fenman because it was shorter and the stock was shedooah ( i know thats not how it is spelled but my memory isn't what it used to be ) but i would happily own any any one

5. mattyts

mattyts Donator

6. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Well Ive had 5 gas rams Tom.

.22 Fenman
    .22 Grandprix
    .22 Fenman
    .22 Taunus
    .20 Walnut Evo carbine.

Out of the 5 two didn't leak, the first fenman I had was the best self contained Airgun Ive ever had, smooth accurate, ultra Reliable, in Fact I lent it to my Dad who was keepering at the time, he wanted something to shoot some rabbits around the estate gardens, that gun changed his opinion of modern airguns after a couple of weeks, we were fighting over it:D I shot hundreds of squirrels with that with my Parson Russel bitch that was the best squirrel dog Ive ever seen, she used to go around the tree and bark so they came back round my side so I could shoot them, she used to yelp with excitement as I broke the barrel of the fenman.:D

After the 90s the quality dropped off the second fenman I bought brand new with scope rails (without fixed mounts) was a let down, scope breaker and leaker and wasn't accurate.

The grand prix was a great gun but big for hunting, but was totally outclassed by my Tx so it went.

The walnut evo I bought new was the biggest let down and enough to turn me off them, it looked great that was all. it dropped to 7 fpe in 2 weeks and wasn't accurate.

The taunus was the best looking airgun ever inmo and I would trade my right arm for another like the one my mate had, but unfortunately it broke across the pistol grip on cocking!! the hyedua is very very brittle, in fact its rare to find one nowdays that isnt broke or split.

Im not looking through rose tinted specs the early fenman was better than any hw95 Ive ever shot and as accurate as most springers Ive had, and the short handling was pure perfection, I wouldlnt ever buy one without the fixed mounts though mate this was before Theoben cut cost in the manufacturing process and the quality of the mid nineties Theobens was Venom like in regards to bluing and tolerances.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  7. Dels510

Dels510 Active Member

I had a 2006 walnut evo,the first and last time i stummped up the extra for a left handed stock.It wasn't accurate,leaked so needed the ram topping up all the time,the action was loud and harsh.It spent more time at theobens than at my house.
    Buy a weihrauch

8. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

No Ill correct that statement.

Don't buy an Evo;)

But a good 1990s rammer is better than any hw Ive shot bar a full on venom job, better handling, lock up, bluing, wood, no vibe, on par accurate.

Good 1990s rammers rarely come up for sale for good reason, I know of someone who got £650 for an Olympus a while back from someone abroad as collectors want the good ones.

Unlike hw's that are ten to the penny.

Theobens to look out for are.

Slr88
    Grand prix
    Sirocco
    Fenman
    Taunus
    Olympus
    Countryman
    Hw90TB
    sirocco 2000.

9. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

10. Lydford

Lydford Posting Addict

I have been looking for a Fenman for some time now but to date have not found anything. Really need to sell my HW100 FSB first!

11. sharpsman

sharpsman Keyboard Hero

Ihad a Sirroco Classic about 20 years ago its was the best made air rifle imho Theoben ever made,I borrowed a friends evo last year and it was no where near the biuld quality of the older Classics.

12. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

From my experiences owning a brand new Fenman, a couple of HW90s and working on various other Theoben rammers, my opinion would be:

Pros:

- Usually reasonably well-finished
    - Distinctive and interestingly styled (the Theobens at least)
    - Quirky, novel technology
    - No spring noise

Cons:

- Leak prone
    - Terrible triggers (HW unit is the least-worst, although still inferior to the Rekord fitted to their springers)
    - Inconsistant muzzle energy (both generally and with respect to changing temperature)
    - Harsh and snappy recoil
    - Hold sensitve
    - Inefficient
    - High cocking effort
    - Later ones are poorly built and seem to like to self-destruct
    - Over-priced and over-marketed
    - Potentially difficult to get spares for now

While I really wanted to like the Gas Ram system when I bought the Fenman (the mags said they were oh-so good :rolleyes:), ultimately I was extremely disappointed - it leaked (went back twice under warranty and still didn't get sorted) the trigger was horrible and I struggled to hit owt with it. Retrospectively I've had been much better off spending 1/2 to 2/3rds of the money on an HW95, HW97 or TX200; which would have been far, far better.

I think the only cicumstances under which I'd own one now would be if it was an underpriced very early one, bought as a nostalgic wall-hanger rather than something I intended to use in a practical sense.

13. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

I have an Evo which has been very good, the trigger has been criticised (its a gamo unit) but I get on with it fine, I had to refinished the stock, but all in all a very pleasant accurate rifle.

John

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

It seems the problem has been from inconsistent build quality over the years from various stages at theoben.

However you can never make broad statements when it comes down to rammers as there are good ones believe me, some early sirroccos are still being shot on a regular basis having never lost air in over 20yrs.

I was told recently about the launch of the eliminator, and there was a guy shooting a .20 in ben taylors company shooting empty shotgun shells stood up at 100yrds!!

I know my old fenman would shoot half inch clusters at 30yrds all day and like I say the rabbits and squirrels it accounted for were testament to that.

Ive been after another good one for years but not found the right example yet! But I will then one of the rapids is going.

15. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Er chaps, what about the crossover model? The HW90, designed by Theoben but made by HW? The gasram to end all gasrams, the size of a 8.8cm Flak 36 (and the weight of it too), but has a superb trigger and low pressure ram!

16. mark112

mark112 Engaging Member

Taunus.jpg

Hi,

Above is a photo of my Taunus which I bought new I guess around 1998. Had many tens of thousands of pellets through it and never once let me down. Power over the years had dropped to about 10 ft.lbs but in 26 years I'd hardly call it a leak. Now re-pressurised and running at 11 ft.lbs where I am told they work best. Mine has the Evo trigger on it and even shooting it now it's pretty good and I have never felt the need to adjust it in all this time. Quality is spot on and the only thing that has worn on mine is the silencer which has become a dark brown rather than black due to the amount of use. Did think off selling it but have sentimental attachment to it as it is what I consider to be my first 'serious' air rifle so cannot bring myself to do it.

Mark

17. smithys

smithys Busy Member

I got a good sirocco smooth not harsh, its I nice gun,

18. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

The biggest problem with the Theoben gasrams is the nut that joins the trigger to the sight. Those that were left alone were generally very good - I have no doubt there were troublesome ones, you name me ANY manufactured device that has had NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.

I bought a Taunus in 1996, it is simply fantastic. heavy enough to hold steady in a wind, beautifully balanced, the bluing is as deep as a swimming pool, the stock is Heydua, an African hardwood that is now protected. Brittle it may be, but if you look after things, they last! This rifle will post 1/2" groups just leaning over the wheelie bins at 35 yards. It is in 20 cal and uses an Anschutz barrel. It is one of my favourite rifles. It runs at 11.2 in warm temperatures and about 10.8 in the cold - and shoots FTT or Bisley Superfields equally as well and with the same zero - I can mix the pellets and not know which is which.

[​IMG]

I have shot all sorts with it.Oneof the most memorable shots I pulled off was to head shoot a teal on the pond at 40 yards (first BDC circle of the Prostaff). A really lovely rifle to use and most enjoyable to shoot.

The SLR98 is a match grade Anschutz barrel in .22 - cloverleaf groups at 35 yards, again, stood leaning over the bins.

[​IMG]

I can't post a picture of it because every one has something only suitable for the hunting section in it!

I had the Olympus mentioned earlier - it was a lovely rifle too - equally as good as the Taunus in build quality, reliability, accuracy but it was a .177 and when I was an offer I couldn't refuse it was gone!

[​IMG]

I had some memorable hunting trips with it. The Taunus I will not part with, I have said the same about the SLR, because of the incredible engineering and the fact that it was the magazine system that was then used in the Rapid 7.

The Theoben gasrams are truely iconic rifles that were built brilliantly - until the later years. They also set new standards and were different. The gasrams were so good that Theoben licensed the system to HW, the rams are different htough so they cannot be compared. They are complletely different systems. The HE Theoben gasrams are able to be charged with a pump, it takes very little to over pressure them and cause problems, which many owners did in an effort to gain more power and resulted in worn trigger sears and burned piston crowns. This is, I believe, where the reputation for poor triggers stems from. The same on the early Rapids, but my 1991 mk1 is going nowhere and the trigger is perfectly acceptable, not brilliant, but plenty good enough to knock pellets off the fence at 40 yards!

19. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

H W 90 RAM

If ever im going away camping i always take my hw90,ive had it so long i cant remember how long,like any rifle if you take care of it ,ive never had a problem with mine, its never leak,i just treat it nicely...Dave

Attached Files:

20. mattw975

mattw975 Keyboard Hero

That's interesting, I wonder what my 1991 Sirocco Carbine Classic is worth in good nick ?