1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Theoben evo project help should I buy it

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by valboskie, Aug 16, 2014.

1. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/... Uploads/IMG_207111697372784_zpse6523d09.jpeg
    picture of the rifle

The boy has had the rifle 2 weeks he bought it off a mate of mine .
    he said his young brother cocked the rifle and fired it with the action still split.
    he paid £300 for it with a scope the rifle was in brilliant condition.

it is in a local to him gun shop livelines in Armadale the stock and barrel are fine no damage.
    but the gun smith scott says he is struggling for parts and the ram is jammed solid he tried to free it but does not want to use anymore force.the cocking shoe and pin are knackered and need replacing
    he no longer wants to work on it and suggested he sells it for parts .
    £50 for the silencer £80 to £100 for the stock then what ever for the barrel and action.
    I think I can get it for £150 .
    so im wondering if its worth it at that money its a .177 .

He is phoning the gun smith on Monday so I can speak to him I have been told to ask if the cylinder has been scored or damaged in the miss fire .
    is there anything else I should ask.

atb
    david

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. 177

177 Donator

Your hyperlink appears to be trucated and throws a redirect loop error message when trying to access it.

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure I have a ram from a Theoben Evo in my bits box.

Or in my shed.

Or the garage.

Somewhere anyway...

:)

3. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

177 that's the link fixed Thank you for the heads up.
    at
    David

4. Jesterdog

Jesterdog Donator

If the spares prices are correct then at 150 it seems a goer.
    I've no knowledge of rifle internals but love a challenge - buy, strip, inspect, repair or part out ........... only cost - your time, during which, you'll gain knowledge.
    Hope it works out as a simple fix, if you go for it

5. 177

177 Donator

If I can find the ram you can have it FOC

I have no idea of its history, whether it works, etc, so I wouldn't dream of asking for money when there's a question mark over it.

:)

I got it in a large collection of bits when an RFD friend was retiring so it's anyone's guess whether it will put you any further forward.

You could always spring convert it - I've always fancied a nicely fettled spring powered Evo :D

6. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

The evo is a nice rifle, I have one in .177 and it works just fine!

John

7. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Theoben rammer threads are like buses, aren't they?!

I'd give it a punt; as said above, if you can't fix the ram, you could always replace it, or do a spring conversion. It would certainly be an interesting project for not a huge amount of outlay.

8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Honorary Member

Personally I'd avoid like the plague..

9. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

if you can find it that would be brilliant thank you so much.
    just let me know any postage and packaging costs and i will paypal you the money .
    i have told the guy i will take it so i now have a project rammer to play with.
    i hope i can get it sorted out and working its such a nice looking rifle
    View attachment 101842
    View attachment 101841
    cheers
    David

10. 177

177 Donator

I'd be surprised if the ram was goosed. Probably just pressure in the wrong place, which can be tricky and even a little dangerous to sort out.

11. Jesterdog

Jesterdog Donator

Why dangerous? Surely the stored energy was released when the trigger was pulled???????
    David, I would suggest that you seek advise prior to stripping -177 seems know what he's talking about

12. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

Hi there a we up date
    I phoned live lines and spoke to the gun smith.
    It needs a new safety catch and cocking lever/rod plus cocking shoe .
    He put an old cocking lever on the rifle and it cocked half way.
    And that's it.
    He does not know what damage is done to the ram or cylinder
    he could not source a safety catch or a cocking rod and shoe so stopped work.
    do any of you guys know where I could source these parts
    atb
    david

13. npmair

npmair Engaging Member

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I was told someone phoned Impact to ask for some theoben parts and got a right rollocking over the phone by some women, bit like frosty nickers.

He was told they don't sell inferior theoben parts!

Anyway I think the best bet would be converting it to spring if its .22, you may get around 10.5 ft/ibs with that barrel which is usuable.

Regarding the cocking linkage I would just phone around all the major gunshops, is was a fault with them so maybe someone has one laying around fingers crossed, otherwise Im sure you could fabricate something more heavy duty, but remember the cocking linkage pushes against the inside of the stock to function, they are not to be cocked without a stock fitted.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  15. 177

177 Donator

Under certain conditions you can end up with a pressure build up where it ought not to be (inertia weight) which requires a set of spuds and some machining to resolve. I'd rather not discuss it on an open forum since anything involving compressed air and drills has all the required ingredients to literally go bang. If you search hard enough you il find people who this has happened to, and the various methods they have employed trying to rectify it...

16. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Honorary Member

That's a new one on me but I can now see how it might happen.. scary shoite!

17. 177

177 Donator

Yeah, it gets your backside nipping at your shirt tails...

I have a healthy respect for anything under high pressure, hence my deliberately vague description, to protect the innocent :)

18. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

i would like to thank everyone who has taken part in this thread .
    after all the advice and after a phone call to fellow forum member i now understand just how rare parts are for theoben rifles
    so i don't think i will risk buying this rifle .
    i managed to get him down to £100 for it but still its to risky for me.

i am supposed to pick up a nice walnut thumbhole stocked evo on Wednesday in .22 but now i am having a serious doubts about buying it.
    if anything goes wrong with it i will be stuck with an expensive wall hanger so now i dont know what to do.
    if parts were available it would be a no brainer. is the risk worth it
    how likely are problems to arise with this model of theoben.
    are they prone to any faults like leaks ect
    i thought i would have to evos now im not sure if i will have any

here is the rifle in question
    View attachment 101912 View attachment 101913 View attachment 101914 View attachment 101915 View attachment 101916

19. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I won't be getting rid of my Theoben rammers - parts are readily available, you just need to know where to go for them. All you need are seals, maybe every 10 years or so if you are heavy handed. If you have some mechanical sympathy then they should be OK for 25 years.

Piston crown seals are made by a firm in Sheffield - two for £25 posted.
    Breach seals are 90 hardness O-rings. BAR have them, as does John Knibbs and Mike Tawn.
    The gas rams were made by a firm in Bedford but I forget the name - must be tracable though. Ady at A&M Gunsmiths can rebuild them.
    Schrader valve is a 2000psi item for lorry use. Available from Halfrods - the pink collar ones. You can pay extra from a gunshop for the same item!
    Failing that, Martin Rutterford at RAW will provide spares from the USA (there are a good number of these rifles in use over there. They were seen as a very upmarket rifle - they still are.

Theoben rifles were very sturdily made and provided you don't knock in fence posts with them they will shoot beautifully for years and years.

This might be of use to you, it is a link to Martin Rutterford's website. He bought Theoben:

http://www.theobenusa.com/index.html

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  20. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Good info there from Accuspell, and I know he uses his Taunus to great affect.

Ive had 5 theoben gasrams and two didn't leak but they were used the most, so my advise is if you get one use it! even if its just putting about 20 pellets through it once a week, they just don't like being sat on racks for months on end.

And out of the 5 I had the 1990s gasrams seemed far more reliable, I remember in my late teens I had a fenmam and my mate had the taunus and we hunted squirrels together for years, and not many got past us.

So take no notice if anyone tells you that gasrams are not accurate, because when you get a good one 1/4" groups at 30 yrds are easy and 1/2" at 40-45 are plenty good to head shoot rabbits or hit kill zones on most hft courses.

The gun shown has the late Evo action due to machined dovetails instead of the 1990s fixed mounts, and the stock looks gorgeous!

I personally love them, and only last week had a 1997 hyeuda fenman in my hand at the local gunshop, £350 with a scope tiger stiped stock and it was a .22 to boot which suited the very short barrel on the fenman, (less ram pressure) I very nearly did:D had it not been for a chunk of wood out the cocking slot I didn't like as it couldn't easily be rectified.

I would just make sure you have a recent chrono on the gun first mate, I have to say I bought a brand new Walnut Evo carbine in .20 when they first arrived and it looked the dogs, but it wasn't anything like my 1990s fenmans Im afraid, wouldn't group fantastic and the gun leaked to 7 ft/ibs in a week or so.:( had my fenman 10yrs same 12 ft/ibs power when I sold it, so I rate the 1990s stuff but Im sure there are good evos out there I just gave up on them after my own experience.