1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Theoben Eliminator?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by marlever357, May 10, 2012.

1. marlever357

marlever357 Engaging Member

Hi Guys

I have a spare variation on my ticket and have thought about changing it over to FAC Air Rifle as I have noticed that used rifles such as Theoben Eliminators can be had for the same kind of money as a nice 12ftlb springer.

First of all,has anybody used an Eliminator and if so are they nice,accurate and well built rifles?

Also,when it comes to changing the variation over to air,do I have to state the calibre and action type (break barrel)?

And finally,What calibre would be the best choice in an Eliminator,I prefer .177 in 12ftlbs?

Thanks for your help.

Paul.:up:

2. knighthawk

knighthawk Post Whore

I had one in .22 cracking gun and easy to service..but be warned there bloody hard to cock at anything over 28ft lbs... I ran mine at 21 ft lbs and it shot sweet and was easy to cock..Go for one you wont look back..

3. baconbuttie

baconbuttie Well-Known Member

Don't bother with .177 FAC, waste of air/effort. With a .22 at 20+ fpe you'll be getting .177-like trajectories until you use very heavy pellets.

I run my Axsor at 20fpe with AA Fields, not had anything get up after being hit by one and swapping from a 12 fpe .177 doesn't require any thought regarding aimpoints as they're the same.

4. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Post Whore

If i had a FAC i'd probably get an eliminator as like you said they are cheap. I think at the high fps over 1000, a FAC rated .177 would shoot at the pellets might become unstable and have erratic accuracy.

5. Egg

Egg Major Poster

At those velocities a .177 becomes very unstable and you're approaching supersonic speed - the crack is almighty!

6. marlever357

Hi Mate

How hard is "hard to cock"?

Someone that I was friends with a long time ago had a Webley Patriot,I had a few shots with his rifle and if I remember correctly was a bit of a piggy to cock,do you think that the Eliminator is the same or worse?

I didn`t know that you can change the power level of the Eliminator,I thought that is was factory set and sealed,end of?

Thanks.

7. marlever357

Hi Buddy

What about .20,I am a big fan of .177 in 12ftlbs as I prefer faster,flatter flying projectiles?

Would a .20 Eliminator shoot flatter than a 12ftlbs .177?

Cheers.

8. marlever357

What about .20,would that hold true at high fps?

9. marlever357

Is there any air rifles that can break the speed of sound?

10. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Post Whore

I'm guessing a .20 would be fine at FAC level, may want to check with others on the forum though. Also the fill level of air in theoben gas rams can be altered by a valve at rear of the cylinder.. assume the eliminator is the same. It would have stronger seals e.t.c to cope with high compression. Dont know what the max is.. by the sounds of things, 28ftlbs is about as high as you'd want it to be set at.

11. knighthawk

knighthawk Post Whore

There deffinatly harder to cock at full power than the patriot ..but you dont get the harsh recoil of the patriot and yes you can turn them up and down with the right pump and hose..Go for a .22 and shoot Bisley Magnums ..you wont look back mate 1/2 at 50 yards not a problem..

12. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

This isn't a good idea, really; the accuracy of the rifle will be affected by the transition to supersonic speeds as they are not designed for ballistic flight.

13. marlever357

Blimey..I didn`t think that would be possible with a recoiling air rifle (1moa),maybe a pcp,yeah,you learn something new everyday.LOL.
    Thanks for that.

14. marlever357

OK,bit like a .308 round going subsonic at just under 900 yards,you tend to lose your good grouping after that.

15. knighthawk

knighthawk Post Whore

There is not much recoil at all..more like a thud backwards,,the velocity heps with the acuracy too...hopefully I will get one again in the future

16. marlever357

Yeah,good luck with that,hope you do.

What about the Crusader,have you used one of those?

17. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

I had an eliminator when they first came out years ago, weighed a tonne and had so much recoil it broke the xhairs in my scope!

18. knighthawk

knighthawk Post Whore

must have been something wrong with it as I have shot a few and they all was great to shoot..

19. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

The earlier models became known for it i believe.

20. scoie

scoie Engaging Member

My first fac air was an Eliminator in 22, beautiful looking gun and one i always wanted to own, too shoot was certainly an art. I was more than happy with it but after trying pcp fac air for me it was redundant. Its a very big rifle , heavy , not easy to lump around in the field( i have used slr's and they were easier to carry:p:p) . cocking them isnt a problem and i put a simmons wtc on top so no scope problems.

Would i buy one again -no
    Do i think anyone with FAC air should own one at one stage -yes

If you have a spare slot, always fancied owning one( and they are bargains) get one and then that scratch doesnt need itching anymore( thats what i did)

I eventually sold mine ( with a little trouble if being honest, as i mentioned an acquired taste) but im glad i did own one
    atb

craig