1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

The Webley Mkvi Thread

Discussion in 'Replica Airguns' started by Headhunter, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Headhunter

Headhunter Never enough shell loading Revolvers

(originally taken from another post in the pistol section but I've added an update and moved it over to the 'replica' section)

I got myself a pellet firing Webley from another forum member (a big thank you to @CaineIsCarter ) just before Christmas and only had time to chronograph it and fire a few pellets at a target before the festivities started. Turned out it was managing an average speed of 392 fps over 78 shots, which is exactly the same as my Schofield both in terms of speed and shot count, so very happy with that.
    The problems started when I tested it for accuracy, boy was it out. From a rested position it’s POI was low and right, now before anybody suggests ‘compensating’ as a solution it was really far out, not slightly, ridiculously far out, like almost to the bottom edge of 14cmx14cm target at about six metres !
    I got a chance to inspect it properly this week and found that the hinge had too much ‘slop’ in it, stripped it down and made two LDPE sacrificial washers to fill the gap, greased them up and then fitted them in place, no more slop, a lovely smooth action when you break it open now, not even a tiny wiggle in the hinge now. Time to test again, so now it’s shooting high and right ! So the loose hinge made a difference vertically but not laterally (which is not what I expected), I changed tact and had a look at the rear sights……..

[​IMG]
    Here’s the two washers that I made, one goes on each side of the hinge.

I decided to modify the rear sight and make it into an adjustable sight, so I filed off the existing notch plate, cut a vertical line with a hacksaw into the rear sight at the point where the original fixed plate was, made a new notch plate out of steel, set a notch in it, cold blued it, fitted it, dialled the sight in and now I have a very accurate Webley mkVI with an adjustable rear sight, you just have to tap it the way you want it to go. Reminds me of the sort of sights that were about in the early part of the 20th Century, so it fits the aesthetics of the gun.

[​IMG]
    A close up picture of the adjustable sight modification.

I used LDPE as the material for the washers/shims knowing that it was a sacrificial piece, using anything harder would of caused more wear to the existing parts and ultimately would of created even more slop in the hinge, at least this way it will not get any worse and the washers can always be replaced easily and very cheaply.
    It’s an amazing revolver, the cylinder lock up is super tight, the indexing is just like clockwork and plus the whole gun is just so solid that it feels great in your hands, glad I got it !

(updated section below)

I was lucky enough to get a brand new leather holster in with the deal but unfortunately my Webley is secondhand, weathered and a little 'beat up' so it really didn't suit a brand new holster at all. The new holster is so rigid that you could use it as a shovel for digging in the garden, so it was in need of a really good 'breaking in' to soften it up.

Webley mkVI 2.jpg
    webley mkVI.jpg
    As you can see, too new ! The white stitching is really horrid.

So earlier this week I got two new holsters that needed a little work doing to them and noticed the Webley holster lying there all in my holster case and thought that it was about time that I got it sorted.
    I took some abrasives to the outside of the holster and then re-dyed the leather, scuffed it some more and stripped the dye back a little, then I set about weathering the inside of the holster flap and adding a few more marks to the outside of it. I then used a leather softening cream on it, that worked a charm. The brass 'buttons' needed sanding into a proper ball shape (as the originals were were very lipped) and gave them a polish. Scuffed it some more and added a few 'dings & dents', it's now so soft and flexible that I can't believe that it's the same holster.

I decided to make a lanyard for it to finish it off properly, so now it looks like this...

Webley mkVI new holster - 8.jpg
    Webley mkVI new holster - 9.jpg
    Webley mkVI new holster - 5.jpg
    Webley mkVI new holster - 4.jpg

It needs a bit more 'wear & tear' done to it but to be honest, abusing gear is something I've never really struggled with. It looks a lot better than it did (the holster) but all in all, I'm very happy with the gun; the accuracy, the power, the weathered look and now the holster sets it off just perfectly.

Happy days :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  2. Adam M

Adam M Top poster

I've had my eye on one of these for a good while now.
    Very tempted

Headhunter likes this.
  3. Andrew615

Andrew615 Engaging Member

Give in Give in Give in o_O:thumb:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Modski66 and Headhunter like this.
  4. Ade C

Ade C Keyboard Hero

I shimmed mine too but just on one side which brought the POI into the centre.
    Nice work on the sight!

Headhunter and Modski66 like this.
  5. Honest John

Honest John Engaging Member

My new one has a very small amount of slop in it. Reading this makes me think it may be worth me shimming mine to remove this, as it seems to make a significant difference to the accuracy.

Headhunter likes this.
  6. Modski66

Modski66 Posting Addict

Back of the wardrobe find in a family house clearance. IMG_20200812_154732.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  7. td_boy

td_boy Donator

Really... :rolleyes: must of been there for all of 6 months :p.
    Good effort though.... :thumb:

Modski66 likes this.
  8. Headhunter

Headhunter Never enough shell loading Revolvers

I say Carruthers that's awfully nice, Daddy had one just like that back in Indja, ooh it must have been just before the 'big one' kicked orf in Europe. he used to keep it handy just for stopping the Tigers from eating the punka wallahs, in the end Mummy reminded us that "if you keep feeding the stray cats they'll just keep coming back", so we realised it was just a lot easier to shoot the damned punka wallahs, that way the tigers would leave us alone.

That's a lovely job Mark, really nice. The box and accessories set it off really well :)

Modski66 likes this.
  9. Radlad

Radlad Keyboard Hero

LOL, we used to drill out the back of Berdan primed .455 cartridge cases to take American shotgun primers as well. Berdans were almost impossible to get unless you could find old stock.

Cleaning rod should be a brass one and I've just fallen in love again, with that OIL BOTTLE!

PS. Nice job that, quite close to original

Modski66 likes this.
  10. Adam M

Adam M Top poster

I'd say that is original !
    Maybe ?
    Looks great either way.

Modski66 likes this.
  11. Modski66

Modski66 Posting Addict

This picture from an old auction was my 'pattern', but not being able to afford, fit or find some stuff, I just went with what seemed to fit.
    cw9.jpg
    I think the only old things in my version are the re-purposed cutlery box, the bottle and the oiler. As for six months, some of the glue and paint aren't quite dry...
    I was quite pleased with the distressed tin, my daughter said un-prompted that it looked a hundred years old. Came out of a Betty's Christmas hamper, and is my discreet pellet store. The shell box is made from one of those thick card envelopes Amazon use for small items, with a label made from a 'borrowed' image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Lorenz, Musket69, Andy_J and 4 others like this.
  12. Adam M

Adam M Top poster

Looks fantastic :thumb:

13. Modski66

Modski66 Posting Addict

The oil bottle took a long, long time.
    I read somewhere that No.2 oil was used on the Webley revolvers, and these bottles popped up on the my searches. I know it says for air rifles and pistols, but in my little fantasy world, this pistol was kept by the owner after WW1 and used in the Home Guard during WW2, at which point, the owner could only obtain the oil in these bottles.
    I also read that No.2 oil is SAE-30, which is what is in my example.
    Oil Bottle.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Headhunter and Adam M like this.
  14. Modski66

Modski66 Posting Addict

I mustn't forget to thank Shotaholic who very kindly supplied the .410 shotgun shells I used as stand-ins for the .445 ones. I shortened them to 20mm, popped out the primers, cut them down to around 4mm and glued them back in, then distresses the shiny brass plating with cold gun blue.
    The block of wood was a s0dding task in itself, drilled part way through to 12mm on one side for the .410 shells, but 10mm on the other side for the pellet shells. It split so many times I think there is nearly as much super glue in it as wood. Nearly went in the bin on several occasions. :mad:
    All the effort in shortening the primers was so that I can flip over the block and the pellet shells will still fit in the box and not require the .410 shell to be removed. I need to buy some more pellet shells now to make the quantity up to 30. :rolleyes:

Headhunter likes this.
  15. Modski66

Modski66 Posting Addict

I didn't make the cleaning rod brass because the one in the old picture doesn't look like it is brass, so I went with that. Mine was made from the inner of one of those net curtain pole rods; I had to compromise on the diameter so it would fit in the .177 bore. The other end (not shown) was tricky little job to hammer out, drill and file to shape.
    The oil bottle was an old medicine bottle with my home-made label and tea & coffee stained cork. I was half tempted to put some melted red wax around the top, but didn't want to risk cracking the neck as I have no experience to draw on.

Headhunter likes this.
  16. td_boy

td_boy Donator

I think you've made an excellent job of it... If you showed it to most people, they'd almost certainly think it was a real one unless they were extremely familiar with the air pistol version.
    Thank you for posting the details of how you made all the stuff in the box, really interesting and really good work.
    I particularly like the oil bottle, did you make the label yourself?
    I'd love to make one of those for my Webley pistol collection.

Modski66 likes this.
  17. Honest John

Honest John Engaging Member

What an amazing job. I can feel my creative juices starting to flow!

Headhunter and Modski66 like this.
  18. Modski66

Modski66 Posting Addict

You are most welcome to the images I used, they are a bit rough here and there, but pass the 'blink test' at a couple of feet. I put them onto a word document so I could scale them to suit the bottle I purchased off the 'bay, then printed them onto some un-bleached paper, which isn't pure white. I glued it on with exterior Gorilla wood glue of all things, certainly sticks more stuff then just wood!
    I can't upload the files at the moment, but I will put them on here when I get home.

Headhunter and Honest John like this.
  19. Radlad

Radlad Keyboard Hero

Just be a bit careful with the files. we don't want overpriced 'genuine' oil bottles suddenly appearing on the bay and that's liable to happen . i know it's nice to share but you could have a nice little niche income there.

20. Stuka

Stuka Eric D