1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

The springer for me...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by shootfive, Jun 6, 2015.

1. shootfive

shootfive Busy Member

Hi everyone. I hope you're well - not sure how many of my old buddies are still here but hello :) - a while since I posted here regularly. I "gave up" shooting and sold all my rifles when I really needed the cash... but hey, I'm back :) Just about skint still but looking to start again in the sport in a very simple way. Question is, a bit out-of-the-loop as I am, what cheap springer would people recommend at the moment? I have a few rats around the place but not much money - I know I could trap (and do where I can) but I have the urge to sort it out with a springer! I know this sort of question is asked a lot, but with only a few quid to spend, should I look at a classic rifle (old BSA cadet or similar if they have enough power)? Or a Chinese model? Can a reasonable rifle that I could maybe teach my daughter on in time be bought for under a hundred at the moment?

If anyone has any ideas, or anything for sale (or something to sell or even better, to trade?) I would love to hear about it.

What is the thinking nowadays for a cheapish rifle?

Good to be back on this forum - I'm off to explore the forums and see what everyone is up to.

2. Gollum

Gollum Donator

Hi
    While no expert I too have just returned to the fold. Used to shoot pcp now reasonably priced springers. Weihrauch HW99S/50S is highlty recommended and so I got the HW50S and I am very happy with it. I also got the Diana 280k and think I slightly prefare it to the HW. You can import the HW50S from
    http://www.db-schietsport.nl/epages...ops/61788981/Categories/Luchtbuksen/Weihrauch
    and save quite a bit. Lots of people have bought that way and recommend the company.
    Whatever you get I hope you enjoy it

3. shootfive

shootfive Busy Member

I used to have a 99s - they are lovely. in fact I sold it on here when I was hard up! I'm thinking even cheaper than that. I can't afford a Weihrauch, this time around, I'm afraid, which is why I'm thinking an old springer or a cheap-ish import

4. Dai82

Dai82 Well-Known Member

Depends what you want to spend mate, I've only just got back into shooting to. bought a smk b19 about 2 months ago. Good if you like tinkering. put a welsh willy trigger in it for 20 quid and it made a huge difference. followed it with a tuning kit from the same guy and it shoots really well now and is smooth as you like.
    Also the hatsan Mod 55 or Mod 60 are supposed to be a good budget rifle, to be honest if I'd seen them I would have probably bought 1 instead of the smk. Just a couple of suggestions get either for around 100 quid probably cheaper if you look around.
    atb

Dai

5. scanner

scanner Engaging Member

6. Gollum

Gollum Donator

Dylan in the sales section was selling a webley excel for £55, bit far for me but maybe manageable for you he is in s rotherham?

7. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Welcome back to the fold, why not get yourself a Hatsan? They are getting so every good reviews!

8. meerkat1

meerkat1 Keyboard Hero

as above the 55 or 60 are very good for the money might be a bit heavy for your daughter though

9. shootfive

shootfive Busy Member

Thanks for the replies all. I know these "what gun is best" threads are tiresome for the experts.

The weight issue is a good point. My daughter i only 4 but in a few years I'd like her to learn a bit of gun safety and have a few shots at tin cans. I think I will be looking at an old "junior" style rifle, if anyone has any suggestions along that line?

I assume Dianas, maybe BSA Cadets? I'm not too knowledgable about that sort of vintage springer - I shot Weihrauchs (77 and 99s) when I was a bit more flush.

10. andy001

andy001 Engaging Member

I was like you trying to find a cheap springer for a friend. I tried looking in Germany for a hatsan, thinking it would be cheaper than UK prices but I've yet to find one.

11. arthur john smithsplease

arthur john smithsplease Busy Member

I don't think you'll find Hatsans any cheaper than they are in the UK.

Never had one but they are extremely good value.

I've been thinking about giving a cheapie springer a go but can't make up my mind which one to go for.

Do people think they are better guns than the Chinese stuff - the so called Remingtons, Stoegers, Rugers and the SMK break barrels.

I notice the Remington has got some good reviews, but the Hatsan 55/60 seems to be even more popular.

12. MOLE CATCHER

MOLE CATCHER Donator

I like the Hatsan I use a 60s for Rabbit / Rat Control.

Next week I have the Hatsan 900x on loan from the gun shop.

BSAC Member.

13. arthur john smithsplease

arthur john smithsplease Busy Member

Have you ever tried a Remington. I like the look of the one in the synthetic stock.

Reports seem to suggest that the Hatsan may be more robust and last longer though. The Turks do have plenty of experience when it comes to producing airguns, shotguns and even centre fire rifles and pistols.

14. Gollum

Gollum Donator

Excel is pretty light, I think 5lb but full power and plenty of bits available. If you don't buy it I may have to lol

15. uncleboob

uncleboob Engaging Member

Did you get sorted? Cheers j

16. shootfive

shootfive Busy Member

Not yet but I have a clearer idea of what I am looking for now!

17. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

1) Hatsan 900X is £69 from Countryways
    2) Hatsan 900X has walnut stock and open sights so no need for expensive scope
    3) Hatsan 900X is just 3kg or app 6 and a half pounds
    4) Hatsan 900X has good finishing
    5) Hatsan 900X has low recoil but is full power
    6) Hatsan 900X is available in .22 and .177

6 good reasons why you should seriously look at one. They are a hell of a lot of gun for the money.