1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. No longer allowed Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- We now do not allow political and religion threads anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section) unless Airgun related and they must be put in the Airgun related politics section..

Staff will not move posts for you if you put it in the wrong section – it will simply be deleted. You will then have to type it all out again and put it in the right place, so heed this warning.

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

The Rationality Of Hanging Onto Gear You Don't Use..

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, Mar 17, 2019.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Around a year ago my personal circumstances changed and I took the opportunity to slim down the gear I own. I sold maybe 15-20% of my guns; trimming stuff that I'd acquired for whatever reason but never really used or felt a connection with.

Thankfully I don't regret this decision at all - none of the guns are missed, I have a bit more space and feel a little mentally lighter too.

I still have a fair bit of gear left and am again feeling the need to purge. Tbh I'm not in a great place at the moment, have fewer ties to the industry than I did and tbh am only becoming more bitter and jaded towards it (mainly because of all the politics and hypocrisy as it continues to slide into the sea).

I still enjoy shooting and hope to continue with repair and tuning work, but have really lost my mojo for airguns and am starting to feel like the not insignificant amount in my possession is becoming more of a burden to endure than a privilege to enjoy.

I'd still wish to hang onto some gear for reasons other than practicality (sentimentality, rarity, quality, uniqueness etc) so the simple "when did you last use it" argument doesn't apply so much, however I do still have stuff that I've barely (if ever) used, which leads me to question whether it's worth hanging onto at all.

While typically soft as sh*te I think I'm becoming less sentimental in my old age. I've sold most stuff that was acquired in my first few years of shooting, although do still have three Webley pistols from back on the day - one of which was my late fathers. I'm still tempted to flog them though tbh as they probably haven't been used for 15 years.

While the last thing I want is to sell stuff I'll later regret getting rid of, I can't help but think it's pointless having it sat there doing nowt. In addition I'm tending increasingly to a minimalist lifestyle, which really doesn't mesh well with the piles of crap I have everywhere..

What do we reckon?

Pete2, Reevo17, bobjen38 and 11 others like this.
  2. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

I know exactly what you mean Mike and had a purge over the last year or so ... I made myself sit down and write a list of everything I had gun wise and then scored them on a 1 to 10 scale, with 10 being 'definitely' keep. Surprising about the amount of things that went and I certainly don't miss them. Only things I do regret moving on was an old HW35 and my S410 ... to the point that I bought the latter back for more than I sold it for :facepalm:

I had thought that I'd not bother buying any new kit, but must admit that I am now trying to convince a mate to sell me his Rapid and have my eyes open for something boingy in .20 - I think inherently, we all like 'stuff' and begin to miss the thrill of accumulation.

Magpies, the lot of us :rolleyes:

cloverleaf, Tubbs, Trampilot and 4 others like this.
  3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

If it’s not useful or aesthetically pleasing,

It gets the bin:)

cloverleaf and That hurts like this.
  4. brent

brent Engaging Member

My moto is if you don't use it flog it

cloverleaf and ibo7 like this.
  5. john79

john79 Keyboard Hero

first dibs on your steyr please :p

That hurts likes this.
  6. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

You're a hard man Mr Darling ... just like your young ladies who get kicked out after a month ;):D

7. Jeffsy

Jeffsy Busy Member

Your getting old and increasingly grumpy.
    I will take one for the team and buy your Skan’s and Steyr’s thus unburdening your mental self and making you happier, unless they are set up for weirdo lefty types in which case you stay grumpy and unhinged!
    :p

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Tubbs, Husky-loves-to-run and NIVEA like this.
  8. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

P'raps I should have ended my first post ... 'Vultures, the lot of us' :p

cloverleaf, Tubbs and john79 like this.
  9. squib

squib Busy Member

I was always one for hanging onto gear that will be useful for certain situations- mostly fly fishing gear, but also power tools etc. What I found was the situations arise quite rarely, and when they do you won’t have the gear on you anyway so make do with what I have.
    I’ve cleared loads out, on the basis that if I ever decide to explore that particular avenue then, and I need a specific item best suited to it, I’ll get one then.
    A good clear out that tops up the funds is quite liberating.

cloverleaf likes this.
  10. Sky

Sky Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I'm with you Mike - I intend to get rid of everything instead of one lightweight PCP.

I'm doing the same with my carp fishing and older camera gear too - I'm only going to keep what I'm actually using.

My kids say I'm a hoarder as I don't use most of it - that's really what made my decision for me. Besides, the house will get bigger as a result. ;)

cloverleaf and landymick like this.
  11. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Big Poster

On the flipside an object deserves to be enjoyed, if you aren't enjoying it even if enjoying means not using it, then allow someone else to and utilise the money for something you will enjoy.

With the amount of stuff I buy I would need an aircraft hanger to keep it all and I hold no emotional tie to anything, especially women, if you ain't using them get rid of them I say!

cloverleaf, Tubbs, 32:1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. D10bore

D10bore Engaging Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles,I have a small collection of airguns ,everything is a keeper I like what I’ve got,my firearms had to go ,I go on the basis of if I sold would I get more than I paid ,haven’t seen some airguns in a year,but I enjoy collecting them ,hope things pick up for you ,you are a funny chap,with your free adds ,keep them coming.mike

cloverleaf likes this.
  13. EastmidsHD

EastmidsHD Keep pullin' that trigger..

I completely agree with you, I had at one point a good selection of quality rifles and handguns, then came my shotguns and eventually my firearms..

I sold all my air rifles and handguns except for my Ultimate Sporter which is all I ever need, but truth be told that's not been used properly since last year.

I've sold a few shotguns and kept my Gold E which is a keeper, I still have a lanber rough gun but that's never really used.

My firearms have seen light action but that's due to a change in circumstances I'm hoping things will change and I'll get back into the sport again??

For me I enjoy going out claying with a few mates but they have their own s**t going on, so it makes it not as much fun.

Throw in my motorbikes and the weather picking up a bit along with rallies and shows and I fear more dust gathering on the guns??

cloverleaf likes this.
  14. Bagster66

Bagster66 Busy Member

My view is, if I am not using it for its intended purpose then it's getting in my way. It has to go.
    Maybe you are overthinking things at the moment, when that occurs with me I let things bother me that really shouldn't.
    Enjoy what you like doing and let things that you have no control over bother the people who think they have control.
    The simple life is the best, go and plant a tree and watch it grow. That's what I do :)

cloverleaf likes this.
  15. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Big Poster

As above, sadly the realities of life all too often get in the way of hobbies!

"Work is the scourge of the drinking classes" as they say!

cloverleaf and Bagster66 like this.
  16. landymick

landymick Keyboard Hero

I know what you mean Mike,i've thinned down in the past but I always end up getting more than I had in the first place.I do try & justify new purchases now though more than I used too.
    I mean look at some of my stash:confused::)
    IMG_0844.JPG

17. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Big Poster

WOW, that pile of junk would really be worth something to a collector Landymick.

Can I ask do you have a pile of lightweight panels or series bits in your garage?

Husky-loves-to-run likes this.
  18. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

What I tend to do with my possessions (not just airguns) is sell stuff I don't need or use anymore to buy other things that I want.

For example: I like R/c vehicles so earlier this year started getting back into that more deciding that I'd like to get a new 1/8th scale buggy which isn't cheap so I had a purge of lots of knives and a few airguns I wasn't using to buy it.

That way I got something new and interesting to use as well as cleared up some items I wasn't using & wouldn't miss.

cloverleaf likes this.
  19. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Big Poster

What you need is a 1/5th scale Losi GM!

steevie dan and GMballistic like this.
  20. littleJon365

littleJon365 Democracy unless they disagree

I end up clearing loads and then buying even more :facepalm:
    I’ve always said “if I don’t use it move it” but with airguns and accessories I can never make my mind up.
    Just make sure your happy with your choices @cloverleaf :thumb:

cloverleaf likes this.