1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

The point of shooting a gun

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by busanga, May 11, 2015.

1. busanga

busanga Busy Member

if the point of shooting a gun is to hit the target, why do people go back to springers because it is too easy to hit the target with a pcp...make the target smaller ???

2. FX

FX Donator

Springers are fun, and require a different skill set to shoot well.
    Also, there is a lot to be said for not being dependent on an pump / air tank

Oh, if you think PCP's are easy to shoot, move the target back to 70+ yards and shoot standing up.
    Thats a whole new ball game

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  3. busanga

busanga Busy Member

that i understand perfectly (and agree) just i see so many comments that pcp was too easy to hit target.. well if it is live target that is good, if it is paper target ...choose a more difficult target :)

4. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 Donator

70plus yards hmmm i wouldnt waste a pellet , no reasons for anyone shooting that distance

5. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 Donator

busanga i think you should try both and then tell us :)

6. BiggaJ

BiggaJ Donator

PCP's are not that easy, all guns are limited by the operator.

I feel it is safe to assume the more expensive the gun the better it should be from not only a quality but also from an accuracy perspective however, if the numpty holding can't hit a barn door at 20 paces its a little academic. So many factors come into play with PCP's as they do with springers .... not least getting your breathing right and the set up, stance etc. correct for the individual.

It all takes great practice but in general terms shooting from a bench with a rest .... Yes PCP's out to the usual 30/40 yards are deadly accurate ... but so's a good springer.

7. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

PCPs are easier to shoot effectively than springers, but I agree, I know some people that couldn’t hit a barn door at 10 yards with the most expensive finely tuned PCP, so would have no chance with a springer.

I went back to springers, not just because they develop shooting skill, but they are self sufficient and because springers have a soul. You have to become part of them to shoot them effectively and you feel like you and the gun have achieved the shot / kill. PCPs are just a soulless tool, and I’ve never felt any attachment to them. Just my opinion.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  8. offcenter

offcenter Member

its a different ball game imo..im no seasoned shooter but i can sit with my multi shot pcp, never lift my head and watch pellet sit on top of pellet...occasionally take my dads springer (old hw 80) and the joy is sitting and taking each shot and the recoil one at a time..both satisfying to shoot but in different ways, really is like an old mule kicking away that needs taming :D

9. BiggaJ

BiggaJ Donator

I agree springers have soul.

I think the OP may wish he had not started this thread lol .... all good fun though.

10. 177

177 Donator

I think a lot of posts are made that are easily misinterpreted.

I have shot some ridiculously tiny groups. Sometimes I have posted them on here. At no time have I claimed to be able to reproduce them on demand, in anything but perfect conditions, or when shooting unsupported, yet once or twice the inevitable "let's see you do that in an HFT comp" comment arises.

In perfect conditions I can group my springers pretty much as well (or as badly, depending on your perspective) as my PCPs. In all other conditions, I can't.

I usually use map pin heads as targets, on the basis of small targets increasing your concentration and focus. Some people think that's me trying to be a smarty-pants. It isn't, but blatting away at a traditional ringed centre bull target never gets as tight results for me as shooting at a tiny target, so I either use map pin heads or I shoot one pellet to create a hole on a blank sheet of copy paper and use the pellet hole as my target.

I've used pellets, dried peas and similar as targets too, with both PCPs and springers.

I enjoy both but I prefer to think of one as 'less difficult' rather than 'easier' ;)

11. JSB888

JSB888 Keyboard Hero

Thats what I do too, I find my groups are awful on 'real' targets.

There's an old saying that goes something along the line of 'you should aim for the single hair over the animals heart. That way, if you miss the hair, you hit the heart. If you aim for the heart and miss, you miss everything'

12. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

A lot of shooters all too quick to say a pcp is too easy of course it is if you've got your ass on a comfy chair and your gun resting on a bag :rolleyes:

13. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

You get up close and personal with springers and you get the feel of them, you know how they tick, you know what they like and what they don't like, you know where they need a fettle here and a polish there, it's a Lurve Thang!!!!!!!!!

14. Deano73

Deano73 Member

Sometimes it's about the journey, not the destination.
    I do a lot of archery, with my compound bow I can hit a paper plate at 70 meter's with my longbow I'd be lucky to hit the straw boss but I still love the challenge of shooting the longbow, the feel and the sense of history.
    Same with my springer, It's more accurate than I am, I just have to work a little harder at it :)

15. mmamonster

mmamonster Very Active

Aim small miss small.

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Shoot what you like best and don't worry about whether the next person agrees with your choice. For me it's springers, but that's not because it makes me a "better" shooter than the next guy (as some of you will see at the meet, no doubt). It's just that I find it more agreeable than shooting a PCP.

17. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

I love my pcp's, Hw100kt and airwolf, they are pellet stackers when I do my bit and pest killers when I'm at work. My springers, hw95k and hw97kt, are pellet stackers when I do my bit and occasional pest killers too. What I like about shooting is the pleasure of hitting the target and getting to know each gun, regardless of power plant. I love the recoil and life of the springers and the fact that they will kick me in the ass if I get complacent. I love that I can take a springer apart and play with it and see improvements when I put them back together. Most of all, I just like to shoot stuff. Maybe a little simplistic for some, but I'm never joining the Olympic shooting team, and I'm never hitting a polo at 70m, but as long as I enjoy shooting, and the challenges of it, I don't think about it too much, I just concentrate on enjoying myself doing it.

18. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Therein lies the argument - that little word "if". Perhaps the point of shooting a gun is to enjoy yourself!

19. RodN

RodN Donator

Absolutely. It is amazing how a small target concentrates the mind.
    My favourite plinking target is a line of 10 peanuts at 30 yards. I never get the same shot consistency at a bull on a paper target! (I do on rat heads though :cool:).

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  20. Big Uli

Big Uli Donator

Yes, there is
    The pleasure o f doing it
    Hitting firebirds past 50 yards is great fun for example
    Hitting a small spinner give me a even bigger sense of enjoyment