1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

The old Shotgun vs airgun on woodies, lets put this to bed.

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by engraver, Aug 10, 2014.

1. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Can I please just make a point, as Ive had a few disputes with people about them reckoning an airgun can compete with a shotgun decoying woodies, I love airguns but lets look at the facts.

As Im sure the majority of us know, a shotgun can take a bird going away, coming crossing, it can also take birds in pairs/doubles, if you use a semi auto you can even take triples.

But with an airgun you have to wait for a bird to commit to your pattern fully and land, (in the meantime ten or so birds may have come for a look and been within shotgun range), when they do land you have to often wait for it to present a good angle for a shot, (as usually there is stubble in the way) and 3 out if 5 birds notice your pattern isn't real within ten seconds and they will take off immediately, so this can be very frustrating, its hardly the method if real control is needed.

I always say one off the floor with an airgun is worth 3 out of the sky with shotgun so on a day when you shoot maybe 30 pigeons with an airgun Im confident in saying you would have taken 90 with the shotgun if your decent.

I just wanted to make clear some misconceptions about airguns and decoying, I only use airguns where I cant use a shotgun for whatever reason, its just another string to your bow that's all on land where a shotgun wouldn't be appropriate.

I know good days are possible with airguns and it is a nice change and a challenge, but for someone to say "I would show those shotgunners how to go on" Im afraid over a season you would be trounced on numbers easily its not as easy as some people think, I suggest trying to break the 50 mark with an airgun, to anyone it takes a lot of 15-20 bird days under your belt to even come close inmo.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. milek

milek Honorary Member

Shotgun wins everytime. I have had 200+ days over rape and that's never going to happen with an air rifle no matter what the traffic is like.

3. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Your right milek, you just have to look at the back pages of sporting gun week in week out Ive seen up to 600 or so birds layed out.

No way can you do that with any rifle never mind a 12 ft/ibs airgun, I know in a pigeon shoot arranged by the syndicate I shoot near had over 500 last weekend from a few of them mind but still a hell of a lot.

When people think they will compete with shotguns yes a lot boils down to who is shooting the shotgun but lets assume the bloke is slightly below average with say a 40% kills to shots ratio, he still has a very good chance doubling what you shoot with an airgun for a number of reason ie he had two barrels and can take birds from every angle.

I don't often let them land with the shotgun, unless one sneaks in after you have plenty of natural feather in the pattern.

Immature birds will stay in the pattern a while to get a bead on them with an airgun, but just watch the older birds when they land they will immediately usually stretch out their necks to look around your pattern like "Censored ITS A TRAP" you have seconds to get a bead on them and tense as you hold steady for a shot, its quick shooting, not like rabbits that will sit minutes starring at you, for you to take aim.

Anyway Rant over for now, had to get it off my chest:D feel much better now.:eek: by the way I love decoying pigeons with airguns its probably my favourite sport, but I know its a great disadvantage.

I know the birds around aren't easy best of times:D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  4. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I respect anyone who does around 25-30 birds with an airgun and if that's all you shoot its a great learning apprenticeship for if you ever move on the shotguns, by then you would have a big advantage over the next bloke because you would have already learned your fundamental field craft,

The rewards only come once you have learned how to follow flightlines, learn where the birds are coming or going, also your hide building and pattern setting must be impeccable to be able to get them to land and shoot them with airguns, I take my hat off to anyone who can, as it can be a lot of preparation goes into that day.

5. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Totally agree the shotgun wins every time on a numbers point of view.

I used to use a shotgun for pigeons, and the ones that sneaked in behind me and settled in the trees became the victims of the air rifle I use to take just for such an event, it just seemed better using it in this way.

James

6. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

An airgun will never compete on level terms but personally I find the airgun much more fun. We don't get the huge amount of pigeons round here anyway, we don't get big flightlines. I've had 26 in one short session this year but I enjoyed that far more than any day I've had with a shotgun.

7. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Agree its very rewarding sometimes and your ears are not ringing when you go to bed at night :)

8. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

yeah shotgun is more productive but as with everything there are pros and cons, shotgunning is easy in regards to pointing in the air and the spray doing the rest, ive seen countless times new comers getting luck on game birds because of the spray pattern. dont get me wrong i love shotgunning but prefer airgunning as its quieter in the residential area farm i shoot. plus you get more time out as your bags are smaller. i just find it more skilled personally, but thats my opinion:up:

9. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Even when i go out with an air rifle i go to bed with a ringing in my ears, could be due to never getting back even close to the time i said i would.:D

10. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

If only it were that simple:)

11. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

you would think, but seen too many first timers get lucky clipping birds and end up the fall killing or maiming them. or just popping a shot off for the sake of it in a birds general direction. sad but true.

12. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Yes its true a lot of men get into shotguns and even though they may be terrible shots eventually they will clip a few, and pay through the nose for the priviledge so it is one of the reasons I don't game shoot anymore, always somebody pointing a barrel in my direction and always those who claim to be the best shots in the world but actually were average.

I once said to one guy in the pub who seemed to be a local legend and everyone reckoned he was the best shot around these parts, "how about we go and shoot 50 birds at the local clay club in the morning?" he said "Ok deal" , so half past nine I was up ready and at his door, curtains were closed and he wasn't answering his phone:D about 10 of us went instead and the only bloke on the syndicate who came close to my score was ten birds down on me, not blowing my own trumpet but they sure as hell didn't try to tell me much after that day, facts were facts.

But nothing easy about shooting a 48 ex 50 on a testing sporting clay ground though, especially on rangey birds, more to shooting a shotgun well than shooting an airgun well, as its about hand eye co odination plus range finding by eye, airgun shooting is static range finding.

I will give you an example, I once got my girl friend shooting an inch spinner at 50yrds with a pcp every time, but I would say she could not hit ten percent of the clays on a good sporting layout,;) and real pigeons can turn and change direction in a flick, but a clay flies the same line, so good days on woodies cant be had by anyone, they are one of if not the best bird on the wing inmo and Ive shot snipe and woodcock, but pigeons can replicate any game bird especially in wind.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014