1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

The new Air Arms MPR FT

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, Aug 17, 2014.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Some time ago Air Arms began actively seeking out the opinions of their customers with regard to the development of their product range.

I've been given the opportunity to express my thoughts to them on a number of occasions (whether they liked it or not :p) and amongst them were the following points I thought relevant:

- The stock on the MPR has become progressively more compromised and cheapened over time - changing from the initial, rather pleasant dedicated LH or RH Walnut to the current drab and unaccomodating ambidextrous beech effort. Evidently its aesthetics and function are now somewhat lacklustre compared to the woodwork on the S510 Ultimate Sporter - have AA considered offering the MPR FT action in the S510 US stock?

- To me a sidelever action says "target gun" while a bolt action says "sporter". It seems somewhat aburd that the single-shot sidelever action is only offered in FAC variants - I suspect the HFT brigade would welcome a legal-limit, single-shot sidelever rifle.

- While most of their competition now have larger OD or shrouded barrels with 1/2" UNF threads to take a moderator (the odd example of which is even fully-floating) why do AA persist in using skinny barrels and slip on mods?

- Would it not be possible to make the anti-tamper measure somewhat less draconian, invasive and horrible?

I make no claim to be the originator or sole-holder of these opinions - indeed I think they're fairly straightforward conclusions to draw from the current product lineup and really only indicitive of the thoughts of many fans / owners of the marque.

The word on the street is now that Air Arms are updating the S400 MPR FT and that it will address some (if not all) of the thoughts / criticisms stated above.. there's been no official word from AA as yet, but based on their previous releases I suspect it will be unveiled at a sizeable shooting show - my guess being the Midland Game Fair at the end of next month.

I suspect I won't be buying one on account of the (probably unchanged) anti-tamper, plus I doubt the new action will be LH-friendly; however I strongly suspect that - if it's as good as it sounds - the new MPR will be immenserly popular amongst the HFT crowd :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

I do like the S400/S410 as an sporter though for FT id rather put my money towards a sorted second hand RN10 or Pro Target over a MPR.

Has the EV2 gone out of production?

3. cloverleaf

Yeah, that's fair - IMO the Pro-Target is still one of the most capable FT guns produced by AA. I'm still kicking myself 12yrs after selling my mint Mk3; if I could get it back I'd buy it in a heartbeat :(

The EV2 was discontinued before the FTP900 was released ;)

4. Akita177

The only thing i can see the MPR FT bringing to the table is a light wieght FT alternative, which isnt for my personal preference.
    Guess it depends on what they bring to the market and its price point for small or slight shooters or as you mentioned a HFT aimed rifle.

5. themadspread

themadspread Donator

watched a airgun tv vid on it and it said it had a regulator but saw one at the agf meet at the weekend and it didnt have one at all

6. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

its a 400 in a posh frock. no regs etc

7. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Different barrel and trigger,not quite just a 400.

8. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

It has a different breech block as well .
    someone found out trying converting an s400 into an mpr

9. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

It's a posher frock with frilly knickers and bloody heavy.

10. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

It probably will be popular as you say cloverleaf.

But after handling an Ultimate sporter last week Ive yet to pickup a nicer feeling airarms, for me personally, and that's where my money would be going if I was looking for a rifle for hft/hunting, don't know if you can get a single shot adapter for one though.

What with the ftp900 and Ultimate sporter it makes me wonder if there is room for another, but Ive already seen somewhere that somebody had got a US stock from airarms and fitted his MPR action into it for a dedicated HFT rig so I know the action drops into the stock.

11. cloverleaf

Yup; however the "new MPR" looks like it will have the same stock as the Ultimate Sporter; so in terms of handling think of it as being much like the US but with a bit more forward weight courtesy of the longer action ;)

You can get single-shot adaptors for the S410 and S510 - IMO Rowan Engineering currently make the best one.

I think there's enough room for an MPR replacement tbh - the FTP represents their top end FT gun, the MPR replacement (HFT500 ;)) will fill the hole left by the outgoing MPR (entry-level FT, or HFT) while the S510 US is aimed predominently at hunters on account of its magazine..

12. mattyts

mattyts Donator

In your opinion,is it worth buying a new MPR or looking for some of AAs previous target rifles on the second hand market that were once top of the range such as the NJR or Pro target?

13. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

Non Matty....FTP and ultimate's having too many issues of. Late, whilst a few have a good one, plenty have had constant problems, I know one lad who has had 9 !!!! Ftp's !!! Myself I will wait for the new Bsa field target rifle

14. cloverleaf

I think that largely depends on your application, since the MPR and FT rifles are aimed at different markets.

All the FT models are significantly bigger and heavier than the MPR (and its - suspected - S500-based replacement). While the S400 based trigger on the MPR is good, those on AAs FT rifles are consistently superb. The FT rifles are also regged; the pressure-based item in the NJR is a bit crap, but many have been replaced by much better aftermarket items (mine has a Welham reg; which is excellent). In addition the lock time on the NJR is pretty leisurely by modern standards.

If I had to choose I'd go for a Mk3 Pro-Target for FT (still kicking myself for selling mine, years ago :() or the MPR replacement if want something lighter and more manageable at the expense of the trigger, shot count and energy curve (were I right-handed - I suspect the new gun will have a RH dedicated sidelever :().

The NJR is a great rifle in its own right (I'd never want to sell mine) but IMO its appeal lies increasingly in its collectability rather than useability; although it can still give a good account of itself. The EV2 still seems to have a following (and is very similar to the Pro-Target in many respects) although I'm not a fan of the (non-LH friendly) loading system or styling.

While the FTPs shortcomings are well documented, I've not heard of the US being particularly problematic - with the exception of the stock and mod everything else is proven tech. They'll doubtless suffer from the exhaust valve extrusion problem that most 400/500 series guns experience; but I don't know of any other issues.

Good luck with BSAs new effort if you value reliability :p

15. Akita177

The NJR is a great gun its as accurate as any rifle in the sitting posistion it was made in the 1990`s which nick jenkinson won two world titles with the NJR, just remember they can be nearly 24 years old now.

And being a left handed FT shooter guns that and cock and load on the rigth hand side are not lefthand unfriendly infact they are left friendly, sitting the whole right hand side is exposed to you for easy cocking and loading.

For lefty FT shooting you want a left hand stock and right side cocking and loading, hold the grip with left hand rest the gun on right knee optimal cocking and loading on the right side of the gun.
    FT, Bipod or fore stock benchrested you want cocking/loading on the right hand side being left handed as weird as it sounds its optimal for me.

Cocking and loading on the left your left shoulder is furthest back cocking and loading is more awkward, and it a typical FT scope the large sidewheels means loading from the left isnt possible anyway.

For a lefty, left hand cocking and loading is optimal for standing/offhand shooting, and prone shooting would be very awkward with right side cocking/loading i would imagine.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  16. mattyts

mattyts Donator

We are talking about AA's that were produced either years ago and have been through trial and tests or AAs that have been produced for years and still in production now,IMHO the FTP issues aren't reflective of the rest of the AA range and whoever buys 9 FTPs has more money than sense,anyone else would have stopped by the 3rd or 4th...

I don't think the new BSA will be right up there in terms of target rifles,if I was in the market for a new target rifle,it would have to be the RAW TM1000 :D

I've not heard of any Ultimate sporters having issues though? It's basically the S400 action with a side lever?

17. StevieK

StevieK Active Member

Awww b****r. I'd more or less decided that my next rifle was going to be an MPR (have a Daystate Regal but want something more FT biased) and then this bloody thread comes along. What should I do? Wait (really not good at this) or get an MPR either new or discounted 2nd hand - or a 2nd hand EV2?

This hobby is painful at times.....

18. Quentyn

Quentyn Engaging Member

get an MPR now, the FTP900 took 18 months from announcement to commonly available

19. Awesime

Awesime Donator

2nd hand Ev2.
    Nothing better for the money.

20. StevieK

StevieK Active Member

Hmmm - what should I be looking to pay for a 2nd hand EV2? Should I get a Mk1,2,3 or 4 (can't find anywhere that lists the differences). I really want to get the next purchase right - sorry for the questions and hijacking the thread!