1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

The human body.

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by Trouserferret, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

It's let me down in various ways over the years. When I was a young 'un, I would bounce, things would heal, I didn't get hangovers.

Things change with time.

I have grey hairs, nasal hair, excess acid production, anterior knee pain and finally...

AN INGROWN TOENAIL. I'm not being ageist, just never had one and I'm 32.

Now this is affecting me in every step (literally) of my day to day life. I'm a chronic Doc-Avoider, 'specially when it comes to folk poking about my feet. They're minging things, you should be ashamed of them. Hence why I've resorted to hacking at mine with over the counter stuff. First came Germoline and Micropore, then TCP baths, then Magnesium Sulphate. Not to mention scalpel blades and biting of towels.

The final straw came today when I tripped over a sticky-upy paving slab in the street; sending my swollen, throbbing toe crashing with great force into the very cap of my boot with much force and tumultuous swearing. I nearly vomited/passed out. The wee 'ol woman next to me had to help me up...

Plus side is it took the pressure off it for a couple of hours when the purple plum atop my pedal digit burst like an overripe cherry under a hammer blow.

The pain was almost worth it, but I'm considering looking for the 'ol needlenose and some whisky if this continues.

Has anyone dealt with these at home with any good results? As you can guess, Google has a pretty mixed bunch of results.

2. neiled

neiled Donator

I was beginning to feel really sorry for you ..................until I read you we're only 32!!!! Bl**dy young wipper snapper :p

3. surrey shooter

surrey shooter Donator

I suffered alot from the age of 9 on both big toes, eventually I had an op to remove my nails completely.

Go to your gp and get it sorted.

Atb
    Ss.

4. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Cheers Neil, but I'm old beyond my years... :D

And Surrey; How did you manage? I've got pure horror flicks flashing through my mind here. I'd rather pull my own toenails out than have someone do it to me.

Reeally gives me the heebyjeebies thinking about it.

5. igual88

igual88 Donator

Had both big toes done 7 years ago as I was like you in a lot of pain best thing I did.
    It took about 20 mins to do both big toes and a few days taking it easy at home.
    I will admit nowt grosses me out re bodies/injuries etc when I was 15 had a real nasty
    Accident and spent 18 months in hospital so kinda used to docs.
    Go see ya doc and bite the pellet (pun intended) .
    Diy will be very bad if you shaft your nail bed up you'll get really bad toes and thick distorted
    nail regrowth

6. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Get down the chiropodists, they'll give you a local anaesthetic into your toe then poke a long cotton bud coated with a chemical down into the root on the affected side (or both) and twist it around, the chemical kills the root, then they shove a pair of nail cutters deep into the root and cut it off, it wont grow back again where the root is killed, the nail looks ugly afterwards, grows back peculiar and always will but at least you can walk.

Had mine done years ago!

7. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Jaysus, Steve!

You really know how to get a fella champing at the bit to get into the doc's. :D

I've had my nose cauterised probably seven or eight times, and I'd rather do it again than go show a professional my toe now. What I just read had goosebumps right up my arms. And my back. Bleugh!

Good lord, it's gonna have to be done at some point. I'm just delaying it as long as I can. I'd rather be limping than in a Doctor's surgery.

Edit:
    Need to get a line for those few days but, they're not sympathetic round my parts...

Hearing folk have their toenails pulled out on a whim makes me kinda wanna harden up a bit.

BUT THEY'RE STILL FEET.

Gads.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  8. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I'm afraid unless you seek professional help you will always be suffering with puss filled infections in your toes! I tried everything to sort them out but it's the way the nail grows and curls around at the sides, There is also a knack to cutting your nails properly... straight across and never be tempted to round the corner off!

My Mrs watched me have mine done and passed out right there and then, I just sat up curious and watched everything, funny how I'm not squeamish like that, I even saw the insides of my Mrs when she had our first child during an emergency caesarean! It was funny how his head popped up like a 'whack-a-mole through the muscle after they cut the sack open. Very interesting.

9. neiled

neiled Donator

:eek: :eek: Good luck trouserferret, you know it makes sense..........

10. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

If I remember rightly I think they cut the nail out first so there is room to get the stick down with the chemical on, either way it's great fun! :D

11. neiled

neiled Donator

Nice twist :D

12. Bigant

Bigant Posting Addict

I like you wouldn't get mine sorted. started ingrowing after i ran it over with a pallet full of fruit juice. got to the point where it was quite bad and minging. finally went to the docs and was told gangrene was trying to set in and that another couple of days i would have lost my big toes and apparently trying to walk without them is difficult. the op to fix them took less than 30 mins just a local abit of poking and done. worth doing the fact you will be able to walk without feeling the pain every day is worth it alone. also the fun of having a nail grown through the end of your toe like a little horn that then catches upon you socks... isnt fun at all. go get it sorted!

13. Jim of Cov

Jim of Cov Donator

Had both mine done years ago by a GP who'd just set up a minor surgery unit in his practice. He mauled me, his hands were slipping in the blood and I got a nasty infection after. Now the 'nails' are an inch thick and curled like Eagle's talons. I hack them down every year or so but I still have to wear closed-toed sandals to avoid frightening the horses. I'll post pics later!

14. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

Reading this thread is making me wince... but like a scab I have to keep picking....

15. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I had a really bad one years ago. The only thing thing that sorted it in the end was a long-nosed pliers and a scalpel blade. I took the whole nail off and nearly passed out from the pain. It was worth it though; more than eighteen months of discomfort / pain / agony gone in ten minutes.

16. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

Reading all these replies is really just about giving me the heave. I've quite a strong disposition really, not squeamish or anything.

Jack's advice seem to be the most attractive so far. Steve's in depth report on the procedure coupled with Jim's experience tells me that I think I'd rather tear the thing out myself than have someone else root about inside my toe. I'm just glad no-one has posted pics yet, that might just push me over the edge...

17. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

That's the mans way to do it! :D

I had a tattoo that I didn't like some years ago and laser surgery was in it's infancy and very expensive so I removed it with a scalpel, I have a nice keloid scar now that resembles the map of the UK, I just need to add the outlying islands and a bit more of Cornwall and it's very convincing! lol

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  18. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

[​IMG]

This was a minor one that I also did myself.

19. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

The mrs had ingrown toe nails on her big toes, went to doctors for surgery, they gave her a local anesthetic, cut back the nail where it was over growing, and used a strong acid to kill the nail cells so it never grows back again, hasn't had a problem since. :up:

20. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

It does get mentally weird when it's your own body. I did however watch that whole series of autopsies on cadavers without flinching. I found it fascinating.