1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Good news The hard to get hold of NV Photon

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by andyhawkx3, Jan 30, 2014.

1. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

2. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Plenty on ebay me grumpy old chum , i emailed one seller who told me he was selling it because it was Crap :eek: dont seem to be getting top prices oer there :up:

3. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

:up:
    Sugar :mad: ordered one today :eek:
    let ya know what I think of em when I try it out, thanks for the heads up mate ;)

4. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Word is they need a better IR, the NM400IR got one of them on order for my newcom, git a go anyway, never say never bud :D

5. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

I'm not absolutely sure but my local Forest lodge in wragby might be worth a call I think they have 2 in stock.
    Hth
    Alex

6. 177

177 Donator

Some folks seem to get on better with them than others.

Personally I'd take a stunning dayscope that I can add NV to rather than a barely adequate dayscope that's OK at night (does better with more IR though).

My mate is blown away by his.

I wasn't, which is why I sold it to him :)

7. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I guess it depends on your expectations, I'm very pleased with mine which is one of the first to reach the shops. The standard ir is a laser which conforms to the newest eyesafe regulations and it is nowhere near as good as a decent led torch, especially one with zoom and adjustable power although if you're going to use it just for, say, 30-40 yard rabbits you can set a non zooming torch to give the correct amount of light.
    The Photon is very sensitive and doesn't need much light at all to produce shootable images. As a dayscope it's at a disadvantage compared to a conventional scope, it's a black/white image with a lower resolution and it's obvious that some buyers don't realise this hence some of the comments. Probably best used on a dedicated night vision rifle which, if you need to, you can use in daylight.
    The only mods I have made to mine are an amber flip up over the eyepiece (to reduce the glare a bit), replace the daylight slip on filter with a flip up type and a led torch.
    The scope is a 5x42 not a 12-50x60 and users should think about how much magnification they need first and the reticle is a simple one without multiple aim points, just nice and simple.

8. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

I do alot of night target shooting (Paper punching) .. As you guys know, land or shooting clubs during the day is very hard to come by as are are waing lists, you never know this may become a shooting club sport as its alot harder to shoot/judge a distance at night with NV, someone needs to do it first lol

9. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

ditto, i was going to get a photon but went nv ad on route, much more practical

10. mikesy

mikesy Member

I think there may be a quality control issue with the Photon ,going by the various reviews I've read over the last few months. I got mine 4 weeks ago and I find it performs pretty good as a daytime scope.Ok its no where near as good as a normal scope but clarity wise I can zero it in easily at my shooting distance. As for night time use , as long as you have a reasonable IR Torch , the display is excellent.
    Using a T20 ir torch I can spot rabbits to 200 yards . Within shooting ranges it shows really clear images. If its not a quality control issue then its the user that has not done the little tweaks that make it A LOT better.
    Just by adding a lens cap with a 1" hole makes it less focus fussy so reducing the need to refocus a certain distances. For the money its brilliant, I am shootingg lamp shy rabbits with ease now so much so I am cutting my shooting hours down as I have too many bunnies in the freezer!
    The only little quirk i have noticed is that unless you are viewing through the scope dead centre then the image deteriorates a little but that can also be a good thing as it makes your shots more consistant as you get used to the Photon.
    I would not take too much from the negative reviews and take more from the positive ones.
    Best decision Ive made to buy one, plenty sport and fun!

11. walker

walker Busy Member

I used one the other week. The standard IR aint very
    good. Add your own and the photon is **** hot. At the price night vision costs aswell
    it dont get much better. Its nice and light my mates was mounted on standard 30mm mounts so its possible to have it sitting nice and low. Ive looked threw alot of top
    NV scopes as im military. i shot wednesday night and signed out a viper which is thermal
    to use to spot the rabbits. And For air rifle ranges the photon is just as good. Whoever buys
    one wont go far wrong

12. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

As I said earlier it's about expectations. The Photon is a nv scope which can be used in the day, you're not going to get Zeiss quality optics in daytime but in the dark it does a very good job.
    There will always be people who like to tweak their kit to try and improve on the standard item, that is intended to work reasonably well for a wide variety of users in all sorts of different conditions/renges and to conform to local laws and standards so it's bound to be a compromise.
    The system is a small CMOS camera looks at the target and displays the image on a tiny screen which is viewed and magnified by the eyepiece lens. The camera is extremely sensitive too ir light and is helped by the fact that the light doesn't have to travel all the way through a daylight scope to get to the sensor. The image quality is limited by the camera and, more importantly, the display screen. Better cameras and screens are available now so I wouldn't be at all surprised if a 'super' Photon were already being tested - it won't cost £400 unfortunately - as the initial units have sold well and I'm sure that Yukon can see a market among shooters with deeper pockets.
    There are plenty of people who complain that the Photon is 'focus fussy' which is a result ofneeding to get as much light as possible to the sensor at night. A lens cover, with a deep red filter, is provided for daytime use and using it does make the image a lot crisper in light conditions. Unfortunately this part looks to be easy to lose so I have replaced it with a flip up which has a hole in it of about the same size and backed by a red (photo quality) filter. This just prevents the sensor from being overloaded beyond the point where the electronics can deal with the amount of light. In darkness I simply adjust my torch and dial up the Photon setting to give a clear image which is not too bright. In order to help retain some of my own night vision in my right eye I have fitted an amber flip up to the rear.
    I do find the focuusing ring to be stiff but I put a coaster on it and now it works fine and it rarely needs adjusting.

13. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Well pleased with it so far, I class it as 5x :up: better than my old Russian DN140 this class may go up or down, as I have not used the photon in the field yet, only used scope at night upto 20yds in my garden, wonder if those that complian about IR being inadequate know there 3 ajustment's to brightness, simply by pressing a button at the rear of the IR .. just a thought that I had .. (Dont kick off :p)

(see later post re different setting for the ir source)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  14. kel85

kel85 Engaging Member

They have a few in the local shooting range. I'm really tempted

15. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

There's already a super photon, it's called the Digisight N550/750.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  16. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Yep at the grand sum of £1,000 to £1,400

17. mikesy

mikesy Member

Hey Andy,
    Are you saying that the built in IR torch on the Photon has 3 settings?

18. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

That's right but I'm expecting to see a new model, there is a fair bit of nv equipment about to reach the shops as well and there does seem to be a bit of an upsurge in interest from the makers probably driven by increased demand from users. The diy digital equipment has pushed standards and expectations and the manufacturers are, it seems, rising to the challenge and starting to offer better kit at lower prices - we will see what the year holds in store.

19. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Yes I was, but made the fastastic mistake, of forgetting that I was trying the photom for the 1st time in my back garden, BIG BIG MIsstake .. (Before posting, thinking when/every time I pressed my IR on the photom, I got a differant setting :eek: ... Not true sorry, there is only one setting) as our back garden in my street, back onto a industrial estate, so most if not all the houses have cctv with IR plus extra IR solar energy lamps, these camra's and lamps must have been kicking in when I was trying the scope very sorry guys an gals for my comment before, I'll get the mods to remove them