1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

The Golden Age Of Co2 Pistols

Discussion in 'Replica Airguns' started by Whisper, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Whisper

Whisper Engaging Member

I love collecting things, especially things I can play with, Dinky cars as a kid and as an adult … guns! :D

This is my Umarex four kings collection and many people on this site will know a lot more about them than I do, so this post is more from a fan’s point of view, rather than a review.

I suppose the four kings are from the Golden Age of C02 pistols what with their designs going back 25 years. The kings I own are from a much later production run and are only a few years old but the heritage is there and the design hasn’t changed much over the years.

Walther CP88 /4" Barrel

The CP88 is my favourite of the kings simply because I owned one from the first production run in 1996? I can’t remember the year exactly but I got rid of it soon after and regretted it ever since. Needless to say I bought it again a while back and won’t be making that mistake again.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Beretta 92FS /5" Barrel

My next favourite is the Beretta 92FS - not because it’s technically any better than any of the other kings but simply because I grew up on Die Hard and Lethal Weapon movies. Who didn’t want a Beretta as a teenager lol? I certainly did and while this isn’t a powder burner, in some ways it’s a lot better - as I can shoot this one in the garden whenever I feel like it without having to worry about the police jumping over my fence and shooting me.

5.JPG

6.JPG

Colt Government A1 1911 /5" Barrel

Next up is the Colt Government A1 1911. I love this pistol’s construction - it’s not a million miles away from a powder burning 1911 dimensionally and despite the lack of a moving top slide it looks very authentic when compared to the real steel version, imo at least.

3.JPG

4.JPG

Smith & Wesson 686 /6" Barrel

Probably the best of the kings: The Smith & Wesson 686. Accuracy is amazing and both single and double actions are buttery smooth, and it puts a smile on my face every time I pick it up. If you want to play out your Clint Eastwood, Rick Grimes or any one you ever saw on telly pointing a six inch barrel at anything from a bad guy to a zombie, this is the gun to do it.

7.JPG

8.JPG

With each king having a fully rifled barrel ranging from the CP88’s 4 inch to the S&W’s 6 inch there’s a gun in the collection to suit all moods, ranges and shooting styles and if I didn’t like the BB smoothbore Glocks as much as I do I’d sell the other guns in my collection and spend my plinkin’ days solely in the company of kings.

If anyone has the urge to post photos of their own kings they’d be welcome, although I know that kind of thing has already been done to death. Then again if rock groups can have comeback tours theres no reason why the kings can’t have them too lol.

My final thoughts are why didn’t Umarex continue this wonderful series of pellet firing pistols? I believe three of the four kings are still in production but I haven’t seen a new pellet firing design from them since the four kings, or am I missing something?

Thanks for reading.

2. td_boy

td_boy Donator

The golden age of air pistols was the late 50's and 60's when Crosman produced arguably some of the best air pistol designs ever IMHO.
    Crosman 150, 600, 45, mk1/2, 38's and their western models.
    Most of today's models are just variations on an 8 shot basic revolver platform or weedy BB firers.

3. Doyley83

Doyley83 Previously 'thedoylemeister'

I'm not really qualified to comment on this statement as I have had no experience or exposure to the Crosman pistols mentioned, so I wouldn't argue against the fact that these were likely a huge step forward for pistol innovation.

In my opinion however, I would say that the Umarex models mentioned by the OP were a huge step forward in terms of emulating the aesthetics of the real steel pistols and were probably the first decent quality licensed replications?

Yazz93, Geordiedan, Whisper and 3 others like this.
  4. td_boy

td_boy Donator

I suggest that honour too goes to the Crosman 38's having been specifically requested by the USAF as trainers for the base security units and air crews many of whom were located in far flung corners of the globe with no centrefire ranges on site.
    The model was made to emulate the S&W Combat Masterpiece model 15 which was the service issue sidearm at the time.
    So successful was it - it was also bought by both the police and FBI and used with a Crosman designed combat simulator with shoot or not-to-shoot scenarios.
    There are not many air pistols with that pedigree ;).

Matool, Geezer, twodoctors and 2 others like this.
  5. Doyley83

Then it sounds like Umarex may have been standing on the shoulders of the Crosman giant!

Whisper and Vulcanfreak like this.
  6. Vulcanfreak

Vulcanfreak Many a man hath less hair than wit

If your age wasn't visible in your profile, i would have immediately thought you to be a millenial with that selection/shortlist.
    @td_boy selection was much more appropriate.
    Unfortunately, and i do own a few, we are stuck with overpriced, monkey/pot metal replicas at the moment.
    As much as our saa, webley mkvi, glock etc etc etc are pleasing replicas, they are cheap quality, made for the masses, waiting to fail ok'ish replicas.
    Not having a go as i own a few and have recently added a few to my collection, however they are what they are.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    TheArmedBear, Whisper and Doyley83 like this.
  7. Doyley83

I am a millennial (just about) and as such the Umarex pistols were all the rage when I was in my teens.

I am however always happy to be educated, which is one of the reasons I like this forum so much. I've spent the last hour looking into the Crosman models listed by @td_boy. Every day is a school day!

Whisper, Modski66 and Vulcanfreak like this.
  8. td_boy

td_boy Donator

If they interest you, try here : https://www.google.com/amp/s/worap....a-air-pistol-review-crosman-38-revolvers/amp/
    & here :
    http://cinedux.com/crosman-airguns.php

twodoctors, Whisper and Doyley83 like this.
  9. Doyley83

Whisper and td_boy like this.
  10. td_boy

td_boy Donator

I liked their slogan at the time; Power without Powder.
    :cool:

Doyley83 likes this.
  11. td_boy

td_boy Donator

I reckon one of their Moving Picture Combat Simulators would be fantastic fun to have a go on.
    All you need really is a projector and a roll of paper and a means of stopping the image at the sound of the shot.

Whisper and Doyley83 like this.
  12. Whisper

Whisper Engaging Member

After reading your post, very interesting it was btw, I did some Googling and read about the Crossman 38’s history. It was all a bit of an eye opener to be honest and very surprising at how similar the 686 design is to the Crossman 38. I find it fascinating that the design has been around so much longer than I realised and your reply has added a new dimension to my interest in these pistols, thanks for that. Like others have mentioned, the Crossman 38 is a part of air gun history to be discovered by those like me who didn’t know about it.

TheArmedBear, Matool and Doyley83 like this.
  13. Whisper

Whisper Engaging Member

I do understand your POV and I agree with your comments but like most mass market products that are available, you make your choices based on just that, what is available. That said, I have no issue at all with whatever these pistols are made out of and I think they’re really well made, perhaps not up to the standards of real steel firearms but if you asked me what I’d change on the pistols I’ve posted in the OP I’d struggle to tell you and even if I could, they’ed be minor things.

I’ve had a few co2 pistols over the years, mainly BB that I’ve really felt were of a poor quality and they’ve been sold on but the current ones in my collection I’m very pleased with.

I think looking for a level of expected quality in any product and not finding it leads to disappointment leaving the only real alternatives being to move away from the products themselves or enjoy them for what they are. I like to enjoy things for what they are.

Thanks for the comments, different POVs make the thread more interesting.

Doyley83 and Vulcanfreak like this.
  14. Vulcanfreak

Vulcanfreak Many a man hath less hair than wit

All valid comments, similar to my take on things really.

I own quite a few of the replicas that i'm criticising.

I just wish the manufacturers would up their game, improve their materials and charge more accordingly.

Doyley83 and Whisper like this.
  15. twodoctors

twodoctors Air Pistol Hoarder...

Everyday is a school day as Doyle83 said.

From my other posts you'll know that I don't rate the 4 "kings" very highly except for the SW586/686. The Crosman 38 looks interesting, I probably would have bought one myself if it was "launched tomorrow".

Out of interest then, SW586 and Crosman 38T, side by side, which would you have picked? (for me based on the info from td_boy I would still pick the 586 because the trigger is ligther...)

16. Whisper

Whisper Engaging Member

I think the airsoft range generally have a better quality to them above the .177 pellet and bb firers but that’s not really something I’m into. I’m happy as a back garden plinker with my pellets and my BBs and my targets :up:

17. td_boy

td_boy Donator

The material quality depends what you've been exposed to...

If all you've owned are Umarex models then they're not that bad...

But, if you have ever owned or handled a post war Webley Senior - arguably the only air pistol ever made to truly firearm standards with beautiful cording and blueing - it's enough to make you cry! :D

18. Whisper

Whisper Engaging Member

I'd go for the Crossman 38 for its sheer original vintage appeal and I’d collect every poster, advertisement and magazine from that era that had a review of it. I love things like that and in fact I can probably do all of the things I’ve just mentioned. That’s my evening sorted out :) Hello old magazines on eBay!

twodoctors likes this.
  19. Whisper

Whisper Engaging Member

I’m a pot metal Umarex boy through and through. No wonder I’m happy lol.

Modski66 and Vulcanfreak like this.
  20. td_boy

td_boy Donator

I've owned a 586 and to honest the triggers are pretty similar in pull weight.
    The 38's lockwork is smoother than the 586, but feels a little heavier because the blade is narrower.
    I think if you added a trigger shoe to the 38 it would nudge it.
    But the 38 just feels so much better in the hand, which is surprising given the rubber combat grips on the 586.

PS the 586 got sold and I've still the Combat model 38 ;)

Geezer likes this.