1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

The Gamo Gx40, Skinflint's Shooter Of Choice!

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by secretagentmole, Jun 9, 2019.

1. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

This all started with a trail, to be precise a Benjamin Nitro Piston Trail that my wife decided was hers after I bought it. After a session shooting it she decided that really a PCP would be better. One I had sold was still at the gun shop I sold it to, but my wife decided she wanted a new gun. “Good luck finding one as cheap as that” I told her. “Don’t need luck” she replied sending me a link!

That link was to Pellpax, a retailer with a long history of providing guns across the country, but not being the most competitively priced. That does not apply now. She showed me a gun for £287.99, new, in the box, multi shot pcp.

Intrigued we had a morning out and visited Aylsham. To find times have changed and that they now have a lovely shop, with rifles on display, knowledgeable staff. The gun was lifted off the wall and shown to us. No pressure applied, nobody desperate for commission. The gun was dry fired so we could feel the trigger, and I was impressed with the salesman. She decided to buy the rifle and the purchase was completed swiftly and without fuss, a great shopping experience. The following is a review of what we purchased, a GX40!

Wonder Gun?

OK so you want to venture into the world of PCP shooting but seeing as this is a new thing, you want the back up of warranty. This could preclude most of the guns in the marketplace, but there is a rifle out there that is a pcp, multishot rifle and less in price than a mid range spring powered gun like an HW95!

Whoa I don’t want anything Chinese.

OK so that includes your phone, laptop, tv, tablet and possibly dinner then? But fear ye not, this gun was made in down town Birmingham, West Midlands, not Birmingham Alabama or a factory named Birmingham in down town Shanghai.

I want multishot!

This gun is multishot! Uses the BSA magazines!

I want a 2 stage trigger.

Demanding person aren’t you? Well worry thee not, it is indeed a 2 stage trigger.

How much is it?

One retailer is selling these for an unbelievable £287.99 which is why I am writing this.

How much?

You read it right, if not go back and read it again.

So what the hell is this thing.

BSA brought out a PCP called the Buccaneer, this was seen by the masters above, Gamo and formed the basis of the Phox, an all in one package that included scope, silencer, gun, pump and bag, which has seduced many and been derided by even more. However those flinging the mud about have not shot the rifle. If they had they would have shut up!

The Phox evolved into a slightly larger tubed version called the Coyote which was also sold as a package, but more importantly, on it’s own too. The success of the gun on it’s own has led to the release of a bare naked Phox, the GX40. This is a review of the GX40 by a purchaser of the aforementioned.

Okie dokie, so whats in the box?

A gun, a magazine and a fill probe, a bag of seals and gun grease, instruction manuals and a free gun lock offer if you fill in the warranty card and send it to BSA! The magazine is the new BSA self indexing sort, which does make life easier as spares are readily available for those who shoot in the dark (reloading a mag needs light).

Getting the gun out of the polythene bag inside reveals a nice finished gun in an ambidextrous synthetic stock. The gun is not heavy and has a neutral balance that enables you to bring the gun to your eye quickly and get on target fast (useful when vermin shooting). The BSA magazine is held in place by the bolt. At the end of the muzzle a little muzzle break that covers the half inch UNF thread on the barrel…

Is that all?

Yes, this is a gun you add things to, for instance you want a gun you can take out in the rain and drizzle that forms an English summer without ruining the woodwork you will buy one of these and put on a scope you have lying around, or if you want to build your own package and not have everything dictated by a marketing department this is a good starting point.

So what have you done?

We got a surprise with this one. I got a Deben High Performance moderator (or silencer) and put that on the end of the barrel, now I have had many guns, very few have been as quiet as this! The gun muzzle barely made a sound as the pellet flew out, the hammer striking the valve was louder. This gun was exceeding performance of guns costing 2 or 3 times as much!

I put on a Discovery VT2 scope, because it is what we had lying around. I zeroed it in at 15 metres, and found I was able to get ragged single hole groups once I had the scope zeroed in, this is without cleaning the barrel.

I have done a string test on shot speed and across three magazines the shot speed variance was minimal. This obviously has the self regulating valve in, which means more efficient air usage and a longer sweet spot (this rifle is not regulated). E|ven more impressive is the string shot count, filling to 232 bar and starting at 11.19 ft lb, the gun fired 94 shots before dipping below 10.5 ft lb (figures achieved using JSB Exact Heavies 4.52mm 10.34 gram). That is very good going, many more expensive rifles do not have a shot count as good.

Errata: Had one dry fire at the start so make that 95 good shots from a full fill...

We will be getting QD studs fitted so a sling can be used. Because I like to have my hands available when crossing fences.

So what don’t you like? Er, hard question that, usable trigger, multi shot, I have it, I am not the biggest fan of synthetic stocks, but at this price I am not quibbling. It really is that good. Apart from the name, that is what I don't like. GX40 sounds like a Duckham's oil additive or new enzyme in washing powder. You have had Phox, Urban, Coyote, how about something in that line? Lobo for instance, the Gamo Lobo!

So to sum up:

1) Buy British, buy a Gamo!

2) You do not need to buy secondhand with all the pitfalls, you can buy new, cheaper!

3) You can waste an awful lot of money doing a shot count on this (great number of usable shots).

This really is a great gun and if you have all the gear and want a gun to use when the weather is bad, it is just going to be chucked in the back of the 4x4/quad/tractor or want to build a package to your specifications, I say look seriously at a GX40!

mg (1).jpg
    The box!

mg (3).jpg
    Box Contents

mg (5).jpg
    Grease and O rings.

mg2 (1).jpg
    Bare naked ooohhhh!

mg2 (4).jpg
    Nice optics....

foxtrott, talent, Blue BSA and 15 others like this.
  2. vonbeck

vonbeck Engaging Member

nice review, thanks for sharing and sounds like a bit of a bargain

3. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

nice review mike :up:

4. stevil

stevil Busy Member

great write up, not that i am biased lol

5. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy - Pepe Le Pew

Good write up, I’m sure it will serve well.

foxtrott likes this.
  6. woodyrapid7

woodyrapid7 Engaging Member

Great little write up buddy in fact I think I might go and get one tomorrow for my lads :D surly can’t go wrong

Marky-Boy and secretagentmole like this.
  7. Morris147

Morris147 Engaging Member

Good review......

Im not fussy what i shoot with, aint fussed if its a £200 springer or a new hw100. Too much gun snobbery going on.

Buckshot and Mullet99 like this.
  8. Wing-span

Wing-span Hello Peter Rabbit. Shhh... go to sleep.

Nice review!

9. George1966

George1966 Member

Nice review & I can only concur. After testing a variety of different pellets I've found mine loves AA fields (4.51 for some reason 4.52 shotgun Ed?) I put a hugget atom on & its a light, quiet, accurate (10 shot groups swallowed by a 5p at my max garden range of 20 mtrs). Great value for the money

10. secretagentmole

One other thing I did not know and @Blister made me aware of, for £287.99 not only did we get the gun, BSA warranty and free lock, oh yes free lock from BSA, we also got a lifetime warranty from Pellpax, labour only but hey, where else could you get an offer like that?

foxtrott and Blue BSA like this.
  11. timmytree

timmytree Very Active

Riflemans. My phox came with lifetime parts and labour.

12. secretagentmole

That is good, nice to get parts and labour.

13. Wing-span

Wing-span Hello Peter Rabbit. Shhh... go to sleep.

How are you getting on with the rifle?

14. Patton

Patton Jack Reacher's big brother

Great review. Makes you wonder how the usual suspects have the brass neck to charge 3 times as much for guns that aren't any better.

Mullet99 likes this.
  15. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

Nice informative review there, but no mention of the trigger (unless i've missed something) so what's it like, and is it adjustable?

16. timmytree

timmytree Very Active

7 x GX 40s for the price of a Redwolf.

Patton likes this.
  17. timmytree

timmytree Very Active

Not tried a GX40 but the Phox had the SATS trigger that needed one screw changing to give a fantastic crisp let off. I believe that Gamo may have already incorporated that change or possibly used a trigger known as CATS.

2506sendero likes this.
  18. Chrisaxeman

Chrisaxeman Member

Nice review..

How’s the gun going? How about a long term review... have you done anything to it?

19. 32:1

32:1 Theoben user

I had the phox and often wish Id never sold it, it was very accurate indeed, the trigger isnt to bad but easily made very good, I added the longer adjuster screw, installed a softer spring

Chris

2506sendero likes this.
  20. foxtrott

foxtrott Big Poster

Nice write up pal if it does the job for that price win win I know Mikey rates them in that price bracket