1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

The FAC process

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by Kyska, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Hi Guys, This is a broken down, simplified, humorous guide to gaining a FAC.

It reality gaining a FAC is simple, as long as you aren't a violent criminal, have drug or drink offences and don't have any long term psychological illness, but every case is taken on its own merit.

Do I need a Firearm?

If you have landowners permission, or you own your own land and you need to control pests with a firearm you may apply.

If you are a full member of a registered shooting club and have completed the clubs probation period you may apply. NOTE If you allow your membership to expire or if you are not a member of at least one club your justification for owning a firearm is negated.

The Application Form

These can be downloaded from your local police force website.

Personal details- You need to give all requested personal information including medical details, you must be registered with a GP. You must disclose any dealing with the police (more on that later)

Details of firearms and ammunition- Fill out the boxes giving details of the firearms you wish to purchase giving the calibre, the type (rifle, muzzle loader etc).

If you wish to use sound moderators (don't call this a silencer!) you must apply for one! They are treated as firearms and the police will not assume you need one, it'll cost you £26 have them put on if you don't do it now.

Explain the reason you require each firearm IE .22 Air rifle, .22 sound moderators for pest control. Specify if the rifle is rimfire or centerfire, some of the smaller calibres can be both IE 0.17hmr and 0.17 fireball or .22wmr and .22 Hornet.

Fill in the box where you intend to use the firearm giving the name and address and contact details of the land owner/occupier or club secretary.

Ammunition- State the maximum amount of ammunition you want to possess at any one time. Be sure to state you want to use expanding ammunition if you are shooting pests.

State the maximum amount you wish to buy at any one time.

There is no real guidelines for this, but, many of my shooting buddies and I have the same (500/600 of each calibre) Your FEO will advise.

Air rifle ammunition does not need to be recorded.

Referees

To be granted a FAC you need to provide the names and addresses of two people who are willing to support your application.

They must have known you personally for at least two years.

They must be of good character, they don't need to be Dr's or Solicitors, but likewise war criminals are not a good idea.

They must not be immediate members of your family/police officers/employees of any police force, registered firearm dealers (RFD) and must be a UK resident.

You should fill out FORM 125 (of which there is a link above) and give it to your chosen referees.

Four identical passport standard photographs are needed.

You should sign one of them in your usual writing on the back.

Two should be endorsed by your referees each using the words I CERTIFY THAT THIS IS A TRUE LIKENESS OF [INSERT NAME], they then sign and date the photographs.

This package is sent with your signed permission and the cheque for the administration fees. (This is returnable if your FAC application is unsuccessful).

Am I The Right Type Of Person To Own A Firearm?

All applications are processed on individual merit. You are not entitled to hold back any information of any offence, this includes motoring offences and offences convicted outside of Great Britain, as this is a reflection of your character.

You are a prohibited person if you have been sentenced to prison or detainment for more than 3 YEARS, you are permanently prohibited from owning firearms or ammunition for life and this includes air weapons.

If you've done time for more than 3 MONTHS BUT LESS THAN 3 YEARS you are prohibited for 5 YEARS from your release date.

As a general rule, any violent offence, drink/drug related offence is going to cause you some trouble in your application.

Many people at some point in their life suffer from some sort of mental illness; this will not immediately prohibit you.

Your GP may be consulted, each application is individually assessed.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to say that if you have a serious ongoing mental illness, especially depression related, you may struggle at this time of your life to gain a FAC.

Save Some Money!

Apply for your shotgun certificate at the same time, it will only cost you an extra £10....you know you want to.....

Where Shall I keep My Guns?

It’s best to just buy a British Standard gun cabinet and be done with it.

If you have live ammunition, that also needs to be suitably secured, cabinets can be bought with a 'top locker' ammunition safe, your rifle bolts can also be locked in here.

The safe should be secured to a solid wall inside of the house, out of obvious view (under the stairs etc).

NEVER, EVER, EVER Tell the Police/FEO that anyone else has access to the keys of your cabinet, you will lose you FAC quicker than its takes me in bed with Dr Kyska.

The Interview

How many topics on the net are started in the UK about the dreaded FEO interview?

Quite rightly licensing is taken very seriously. The FEO will want to see your gun storage, he/she may ask you about your experience with firearms, ask you about the law, why you require a particular firearm...in essence unless you say something really stupid your application is already well on the way of being 'stamped' it’s just a good way for the FEO to meet you, see your surroundings and to make sure you aren't obviously mad.

FEO's in my experience are amenable people, willing to help and advise.

I was asked during my interview to show him where my spare keys will be kept, I refused.

You will be told after the interview if you have been successful at this junction of your quest for mass foot poundage, but it not the FEO's decision; he/she will recommend the application to the Chief Constable.

Land Surveys

Your land will need to be surveyed to ensure it is suitable for the calibres you wish to use on there, if it isn't already (this is worth checking).

A FEO will contact the owner and organise a visit, you may be asked to attend, you may not...either way, know your permission like the back of your hand, backstops, footpaths, bridleways etc.

The Wait

Typically months I'm afraid, the suspense will nearly cripple you, now is not the time to see your GP about how stressful the waiting is.

It’s Arrived, now what?

Stay calm, we are nearly there now.

Your FAC may have many conditions on it, it’s not worth listing them all, but one important condition is the Open/Closed FAC.

It will explain if you can only shoot on the land you have advised them of, or you may have an open licence meaning you can shoot anyway as long as you have permission, the onus of safety if on you, the land doesn't require surveying.

It unusual to have a open licence granted before the 5 year renewal time, but some counties only dosh out open licences.

You can have extra land as you acquire it surveyed for free as long as you have permission.

READ THE LICENCE, MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS CORRECT, SIGN IT....and make your way to the local gun shop with credit card, stop for nothing and no-one young man.......

Each of the guns (and moderators) listed is on what is called a 'slot', this allows you to fill that slot with one rifle and mod. Meaning if you have a slot for a .22lr you can buy one .22lr, not many like non fac air rifles. If you sell, you must return the FAC to have the slot emptied before buying another, known as a 1 for 1 variation.

At The Gun Shop

You will initially be in a state of frenzy, akin to a Labrador about to be fed, you may pee a little without knowing, you must try and stay calm otherwise you'll end up buying the first bit of crap offered to you.

Your RFD should ensure that any purchase is recorded properly on your FAC and you need to inform the Police of your newly acquired guns.

As you leave, you'll walk more upright, a subtle but definitive swagger will develop, you have become an elder. The meaning of life, which has thwarted the worlds most prolific philosophers for millennia, becomes obvious to you. __________________

[Copyright=Kyska]http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=5556[/Copyright]

2. Stratts

Stratts Posting Addict

Brilliant write up mate :up:

Should this bit say 'application' though, not permission. Or do you mean to include a permission slip for the land you will be shooting on?

This package is sent with your signed permission and the cheque for the administration fees. (This is returnable if your FAC application is unsuccessful).

3. aubs

aubs Engaging Member

sent mine off yesterday with my SGC renewal, just the waiting game now!!

4. joshua19

joshua19 Well-Known Member

I second that Brilliant!!

5. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Yea, I mean the permission for shooting over the land.

6. Stratts

Stratts Posting Addict

Ah cheers mate summit else I hadn't thought of sending!!

Cheers

7. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Be sure they state that you have permission to use 'firearms' and its prudent to state the calibre too, don't just have permission to shoot on it.

8. Paulusworm

Paulusworm Member

Excellent write up and bloody nice dog too. I'm about to embark on the quest soon so this has been very helpful. I have Sibes myself so does that mean that my character is quite clearly flawless and my application will sail through? ;):)

9. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

No it means you're bloody nuts to have them, Have you seen my gallery? I have lots of them.

10. salad1

salad1 Member

An awsome and inspired thread. You make me want to a better a man !
    Regards

Salad

11. marti666

marti666 Active Member

Hi All,
    First of all great post.....I got my FAC about 3 months ago and it only took six weeks from posting to FEO coming around and "loaning me for the period of 5 years a licience to pocess and use a firearm in a lawful place and manner" best piece of advice I could give is read the application form on-line, make a note of any questions you dont understand and list any questions you might want answering ie what type of gun /ammo safe the force requires and then phone the FAC Dept prior to applying asking for advice. The reason for this is that my force likes you to have a combination safe for your keys to your gun safe,ammo & bolts so only you know the code, yet other force,s don't like combination safes again the Police only work to HO Guidelines

12. Ludford

Ludford Active Member

How long does it take to get through the FAC process? One club told me about a year. But another club said I could get my FAC after 3 months probation with them.

13. adymorris

adymorris Keyboard Hero

That's going through the club, the actual process, given that you have land to shoot over for example can take a few weeks to a few months - it really depends on the force concerned and their current workload

14. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

Whats the score with also applying for SGC. Do you need to be a club member, or specify land for use of shotgun?

15. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

No, neither. Just apply, they may ask why you want a shotgun, and clay pigeon shooting is more than a justification.

16. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

Happy days!

So am I right in thinking that once I have the shotgun it can be used anywhere you have permission to shoot? Within reason.

Without having to tell the plod which land you are shooting it on?

17. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Yep, but do bear in mind you have no obligation to tell the police no matter what you are shooting. Obviously you still have the various laws to stick to, and a bit of common sense doesn't go amiss when choosing a hide position.

18. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

Im confused Kyska. If I get my .22lr on ticket for use at the range, I would have to tell them if I wanted to shoot on other land in order to get it put on the ticket?

or are we just talking shotgun here?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  19. Oryctolagus

Oryctolagus Posting Addict

From what I understand it depends if you have an open or closed license. Closed you can only use for the location the fac was granted or the feo cleared when getting your fac.

20. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

I'm talking shotgun and firearms, but I think we're both confusing something, I thought you meant everytime you shoot, not having a written permission.

So, for clarity, for firearms yes you need to show the police you have permission for the initial FAC grant, but you don't need to ring everytime you go out. If you gain more land, you don't need to show permission to the police, just make sure the land is cleared for the said calibre...do I make more sense now?

A closed ticket purely means the police make the decision if the land is safe, a closed ticket holder can shoot anywhere they have permission for, as long as it is cleared by the police for the calibre. Open ticket holders can shoot anywhere with permission without the land been suveyed by the police, the ticket holder makes a risk assessment themselves.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011