1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

The EBOLA Crisis.

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by jantar, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jantar

jantar Donator

This will no doubt receive the usual objections andirrelevant comments but here we go….
    First and foremostthere is NO cure for Ebola!
    I realise that some people want to help others and that is a laudable action; BUT provenly it can have serious consequences for others.
    :up: Happily at last we are now screening incoming travellers for this disease by the body temperature infra red scan method. However all this does is to show higher than usual body temperatures. It’s a step in the right direction though, even if too late for some. This disease like all others has a defined incubation period before the symptoms are visible or make themselves obvious, that apparently being a raised temperature and flu symptoms.
    In many ‘modern’ countries many other lesser, yet still serious diseases which had affected populations resulted in those showing symptoms being quarantined in special units until they were deemed safe. Why not this one?
    Africa I realise is a far different story BUT! The way I now visualise it is that it was primarily the‘do-gooders’, for want of a better phrase, who have travelled out of that affected zone carrying the disease and so distributed this horrendous disease to their own countries or countries they were then visiting.
    Common sense should have taken immediate effect as soon as the very first ‘Ebola’ case was diagnosed and no-one within that area, whatever their calling or profession, should have been allowed to travel out of that area until it had been proven they were disease free by having been confined in an isolation unit at their own expense for the recognised term of incubation whatever that term may be then transported, still in isolation, immediately to the airport.
    Big question is this;The knowledge was already in the history books because this disease had already‘visited’ this part of Africa previously. Surely this would have caused any responsible person, organisation or charity to ensure that it was safe to do so ,including the long term and ensure that the remainder of the world remained safe? How can anyone, particularly the charities who are supposed to have an intimate knowledge of the areas to which they send ‘aid’, and are supposedly ‘doing good’ by travelling to these danger areas, not accept responsibility for their spread of this disease to otherwise unaffected continents and countries?
    In closing I do feel empathy for those affected but they must accept that it was their personal decision which placed them at that high risk. For those who sadly passed away in agony; was it really worth giving up their own lives? I wish they could tell me the answer to that question but I suspect that the response would be an emphatic NO.

2. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Its enavatible that some thing like this is going to happen in time and wipe out the human race lets face it the world / nature will be alot better off with out us here. I have massive respect tho to thoose who risk there lives to go and try help out places infected with this disease or other life threatening situations, in another breath tho whats are goverment playing at sending 750 tropps out to try help out these infect places ( not there choice but goverments choice )my heart goes out to there familys who are going to suffer anxiety till the day they come back these guys and girls and have no say whether tney go or not which i feel is pathetic whatever happend to the protocol where lead to believe exists where travel ect is stopped and doors gates closed we need to think about are own country and population here and been a island have a good chance we could keep it out of the uk if its not too late !!!!!

3. Trampilot

Trampilot Big Poster

I recently compared the Western authorities reaction to Ebola with the actions and decisions of the Mayor in Jaws (more so in Jaws 2). The West do not want a panic (well nobody does) so they down play it a bit which doesn't scare the economy. If Ebola gets hold in the West - and its trying too - then it will be too late.

As said in another thread I've read around the subject a lot and being married to a bacterial scientist helps too! The focus is all on the airports and the strategy is to ask passengers where they have been and do they feel ill. If they answer with the possibility of being infected what will happen... they get isolated for 21 days. Now this is correct BUT who on earth is going to say yes now knowing their plans will be screwed for the next 3 weeks. Screening won't help - the best and most effective way of stopping the infection is by stopping the movement of people. Sorry if that spoils your holiday.

In my view the focus on the airports is wrong anyway. It should be on the ports. Illegal immigrants mainly come in via ports/ferrys/lorries etc and it is here the danger for the infection spreading. You look at Calais with the illegal immigrants waiting their chance, living in squalour and guess what - this lack of hygiene is exactly what ebola loves to survive in. I would take one person from West Africa to arrive after 20 days of getting sicker and sicker... and then you've got a hot zone in Calais. This is where I'd concentrate my efforts with containing and restricting. The people who arrive in Calais are untraceable and have arrived without passports, id and tickets... who knows who they have been in contact with.

Scare mongering this isn't. It's called knowing your enemy and targetting your efforts to contain it. Panicking would be announcing your not doing anything. Then having a practice and screening all passengers at an airport. Crap.

4. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Human population needs culling anyway... just like any other animal on the planet that starts to take over and upset the balance.

If I'm part of the cull.... oh well!

5. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

View attachment 105086
    This info-graphic puts things in perspective.
    Also think of all the other scary headlines in the recent past about Bird Flu, Swine Flu, etc. How many western people actually caught and died from these Vs people who have died from Aids in Africa?
    IMHO this is just another shock horror headline for tabloid newspapers and websites.

6. Donki Oaty

Donki Oaty Where's the time going?

There was a woman on Jeremy Vine last week who's child was to be excluded for a private school in the UK because they travel between here and Sierra Leone on a regular basis. Now this woman said that she traveled in and out of an Ebola containment area because the airport (within the containment zone) was still open and operating but she wasn't allowed into the capital Freetown from said containment zone!
    WTF is that all about?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  7. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned BANNED

The problem is the disease affects humans so no one cares if it affected peoples poxy pets tney would be doing there best to stop it

8. jantar

jantar Donator

Trampilot.....that was an extremely well thought out response and one that anyone with any sense at all will concur with. Many of the most serious diseases are 'born' in filth and this latest is no different. My thoughts? Easy.....Even if ALL of the planets wealth were to be given to these same places that beg constantly for aid it would still not solve the problem. The problem is those who think they are doing some form of good or are supplying aid and 'comfort' are acrually carrying the problem to other unaffected areas.
    Of course my common sense answer will not be the one that is agreed with because I will be accused of being racist, selfish, uncaring or some other nonsense when the truth is I do care deeply for the rest of the world or in reality the Majority that will have to suffer for the sake of the minority!
    Hardline thought....As the disease has no cure why not spend the finance otherwise used to try to develop a cure instead of banging heads against walls and wasting it on 'improving their condition' and putting yet more at risk with the idea now of sending our troops in too?
    What great statesman wannabee thought of that 'blairish' idea? Remember Blair wanted to be the new ruler of the EU and took us to war twice illegally to prove his authority. His wife...yeh well think of the criminal used to get her a house and then her really crazy law of 'Human Rights' that stopped many of the laws that protected our frontiers from working!
    All decisions that have proven to be detrimental to our country. As for the France situation.....its their problem not ours. They initially have to cross into France from their own countries and sometimes over many other borders before arriving at Calais to try to illegally enter the UK. If Ebola does take a hold in that area then . help us all!

9. milek

milek Honorary Member

The greater the effort put into stopping the spread at source could potentially save millions of lives and billions of pounds. Doing nothing, or leaving poorer regimes to fight this out on their own is nothing short of inviting Ebola to our shores. If these do-gooders stop the spread or learn how to control it then it's worth the effort and expense. Put the politics aside, this is a very real danger regardless of race/creed/religion/gender/sexuality/wealth.

10. Macdoog

Macdoog Posting Addict

Do Gooders?? Wanting to help save peoples lives is wrong somehow? Wanting to do the human thing is threatening humanity?? Of course its only black people that are suffering mainly so we shouldnt overly concern ourselves with it eh.....

36 million people have died from AIDS since 1981......thats 36 million.
    Bubonic plague is still killing people
    Typhoid Fever is still killing people

There are far more worrying viruses knocking about that deserve media coverage, but then the media is very fickle like that!

11. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29604184

Dept of Health confirms what we all know that Ebola will hit here eventually.

Ebola screening will begin at London's Heathrow Airport on
    Tuesday, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt says.

Passengers from at-risk countries will have their temperature taken, complete
    a risk questionnaire and have contact details recorded.

Mr Hunt said screening at Gatwick and Eurostar terminals would start in the
    coming week.

The chief medical officer says the risk to the UK is low, but has predicted a
    "handful" of cases.

Taking their temperature? What a load of rubbish. Planes from affected areas should be halted IMO.

12. jantar

jantar Donator

MACDOOG....No-one stated that to be a 'doo-gooder was wrong. What was said was that it was irresponsible for them to go to those dangerously infected places then return to their own countries whilst carrying the disease because simply they were not placed into quarantine to ascertain they were clear to travel!
    Be careful whom you label as a racist. I am far from being racist and you have no idea at all of my race, creed or background on which to base your libelous comment.
    The reasoning I used was quite straight forward inasmuch that if people go there to help then they should remain there as previously stated until it is proven that they are not carrying the disease back to the rest of the world. That I think is the RESPONSIBLE action!
    To end it is not only the media that is fickle....it is the readers of that rubbish that cause the problems of misunderstanding. They then go on to bring up irrelevent issues that do nothing to promote better understanding of this Ebola crisis. YES, the other diseases you list are still prelevent and YES all are spread by irresponsible humans....strangely though there are cures for them....there is not one for Ebola that has been proven to work and therin lies the greater danger! That point cannot be argued against at all.

13. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

I like the do-gooder reasoning - if they go to help they should accept that this means they must prove they're not carriers before returning.

No cure for AIDS though, so couldn't bring myself to click like, sorry!

14. Macdoog

Macdoog Posting Addict

You write and sound like a failed UKIP politician..Libellous? Racist? People that have contracted AIDS are irresponsible????? All those foetuses that contracted AIDS...those terrible children catching it from their mothers...all those ******** catching the virus from blood transfusions...all those poor black people with no education or health service or contraception. You are the worst kind of idiot....an idiot who thinks hes intelligent. In regards to libel...Id escape any action on the racist front as I didnt actually mention that at all. In conclusion ( to use your phrase) You are a cretin. Oh...Id escape any private action on calling you a cretin once any sane person read your ill informed nonsense.

If you have also found a cure for AIDS you might want to let someone know.....

15. Barni

Barni Donator

Ive said it before and i dont mind saying it again ...... We live on an island so lets make that our advantage. Forget the screening and close the borders. Simple

Yep sure sounds very harsh but if Ebola does reach our shores it wont be pretty.

I guess if you are willing to stay in quarantine for 28 days or so then the screening might work ...... just a thought

If there is no cure then prevention is the only real answer

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

This is your one warning, fellas - enough with the getting personal; there are rules regarding making posts of this nature - read them.

17. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

As much as it leaves a bad taste in my mouth I agree with Jantar on this issue. I doubt I'll ever agree with him again.

18. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

I must be running a fever as Jantar is making sense. Without a cure, quarantine until it burns itself out is the only answer.

19. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

I have to agree with you, it does seem drastic to have to put people into quarantine etc but its their choice to go and help these people and they know the risks they are taking with their lives and ours.

20. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 bell target champion

agreed natural selection .

they reckon every ten years we need a war to keep population down .....

ps as for the cure for AIDS .... I reckon they have had it for a while ..... just not to the general public ... but you tell me one rich person lately that has died from it ?
    in the music industry or film .

and theres the weird thing of scientist and mi5 having weird and wonderful deaths a few years back , and other strange goings on like the guy who killed himself in a suitcase and they said suicide
    http://elitedaily.com/news/world/mi6-spy-found-dead-padlocked-suitcase-death-ruled-accident/

very strange goings on .........

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.