1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice The age old question what should I get

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by igual88, Jun 11, 2014.

1. igual88

igual88 Donator

Heyas peeps just starting to save my pennies up for my first air rifle however the more I have read the less certain I am about what to go for
    I will only be backyard plinking and hopefully joining the rifle club in future as I have totally shot legs and no permissions in Devon (used to in Sussex before I moved had 200 acres deer and bunny had a sako 6.5 x 55 and a sako quad for bunny bashing)
    Had to give up my FAC due to the meds they have me on now for nerve damage.
    Initially I was looking at http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk...ssor+inc+4-16x40+-a-8-f-3177+Standard+Barrel/
    Or
    http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk...55/BSA+Lightning+XL+SE+'2C177+Carbine+Barrel/

However I am not against a secondhand rifle, I know I have chosen these in the .177 I have only ever shot a .22 springer before but from what I have read for target a 177 seems more logical I think?
    I would love as much advice as you can give am open to suggestions
    I will have a budget of 300 ish Max depending how much groveling I do with the ball and chain

Totally on a side note I make chainmaille jewelry/armour if anyone needs something gimmie a shout 

2. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

HW77 for £40 more than your £300 budget

3. 177

177 Donator

I'd sideline both of the options you have listed and go for something infinitely better in all respects on the used market.

Provided you buy a good one you will get far more for your money and you will certainly better both of the above options by miles.

If you are sure you will only ever be target shooting this presents a different set of problems to address than a hunting gun.

Unless you have the urge for a carbine rifle you might want to consider something full length and with good open sights or the option to fit diopter sights.

Some open sights make for incredibly accurate shooting out to surprising distances.

One of the real 'benefits' to a longer gun is how much easier it can feel to cock, but this can be offset by slightly increased overall weight.

First identify whether you like (or want) to go with a break barrel or underlever.

Everyone will recommend what they have or what they want.

What you need to do is find out what you feel comfy with. You can spend a fortune only to tussle with the gun if it doesn't shoulder well for you :(

The usual suspects would include HW95 (great option if fitted with a barrel weight or a combined barrel weight/silencer), HW77 or TX200 if you can cope with the weight, CZ Slavia 630 makes a great inexpensive and lightweight break barrel option and they are easy to work on and fettle, Diana 34 is possibly the single best lightweight break barrel out there IMHO, etc, etc...

Consider options, identify your requirements and shortlist based on them rather on what looks nice or what someone else likes.

If it was me I'd look for an old HW77 and tune it or have it tuned. Add a scope and mounts and proceed to knock nails in all day long :)

4. igual88

igual88 Donator

How easy is it to load pellets in the hw77 as I have sausage fingers and hands like shovels
    Also what sort of scope mounting system is used? As I will need to factor in scope mounts etc
    Weight of rifle is not much of an issue as I use crutches/wheelchair to get about have arms and
    shoulders a gorilla would be proud of. Being the wrong side of 18 St I can counterbalance quite well lol

5. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

It is easy enough once you have mastered it although it can be a bit annoying if you drop the pellet rather than getting it into the barrel as there is no easy way to get it out other than to turn the rifle upside down.
    HW77 has standard scope rails/grooves on it and a set of suitable mounts is about £10.

6. Bigant

Bigant Posting Addict

i had a 77 and loved it my huge sausage fingers could cope with loading it. and it was alot more accurate than me. you couldn't go wrong with one :) i now have a Tx and while its a lovely gun its a pain for me to load in .177 out the pair i would go for the HW for ease of loading and it was a little lighter.

7. 177

177 Donator

I am 6' 4" and 230 pounds (devilishly handsome though ;) ).

I manage the HW77 just fine, although I find weedy little .177 pellets more of an issue than the gun itself, especially on a cold day...

The older TX200 is more of a challenge because the loading port isn't the full width of the gun.

That said, the TX200 will shoot a little nicer than the HW77 assuming both guns are bog standard.

I'd take an older 77 and fettle it - silky smooth and accuracy to rival a PCP :)

8. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

I'm slightly larger than the gent before and I have no issues with loading my 97, the 77 would be no problem after you shot 10 pellets, I could load with my eyes closed now.

9. 177

177 Donator

Gent ?

I've been called a lot of things, but...

:)

10. AaronB

AaronB Member

Theres a really nice HW97KT just gone up in the wanteds for just a little more. :)

11. Bigant

Bigant Posting Addict

oh im 7 foot tall and of a large and manly build.. and i managed the 97/77 fine :) my tx is nicer to shoot but harder to load mostly due to the 177 pellets i suspect. that 97 in the adds looks a nice one though!