1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Thats buggered it!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Pete E, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Pete E

Pete E Engaging Member

As I've posted before, after not having an air rifle since I was a lad, I've decided I'd quite like another, partly as a form of practicing for my
    centre fires..As I have a rimfire for bunnies ect, I decided I didn't want to spend too much on an air rifle that's going to be limited to 12ft/lb.

I've had my eye on a Hatsan 85XTH after buying one as a present, but things have now taken a turn for the "worse"! You see, yesterday I went to the local air gun club/range with my nephew to try to get him interested in shooting..we had a good couple of hours fun shooting a two of range guns (Remington Express and Crossman Gas ram of some sort) and got chatting to a few of the other members.

One very kindly let me shoot his HW77 and I managed to hit a small spinner 3 out of 3 times at 25m! From what I understand, the rifle was fairly standard, but it was a joy to shoot, with an excellent trigger; in fact the trigger would put those on many centre fires to shame..

While I did notice the weight, it did not seem excessive, and if anything, it seemed to hold more stable because of it..

So I can see my plans of keeping things cheap and cheerful diminishing fast! Especially as the HW97 is available in thumbhole stock, which I particularly like..

Someone else down there mentioned the new Walther LGU, but that suggestion drew a mixed response from the others, many of whom were evidently HW fans..

So decisions decisions!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

The 85XTH is a great gun,nice trigger and stock with a free silencer too,it's long and heavy but if you remove the silencer,you have an incredibly short barrel and a nice looking tactical carbine.

The Remington express and Crosman gas rams are pretty poor tbh,they are sealed units,very twangy and not much better than the equivalent springers,there are some great gas rams about,the local gun shop to me has a second hand theoben evo for less than £150 which isn't a sealed unit and can be pumped up when or if the pressure drops.

The HW77 and 97s are brilliant guns with the Rekord trigger units,German engineering at its best,I would have one in a split second if I could,nicely tuned examples come up often,there is a .22 HW97 currently for sale on British Blades atm for a decent price.

3. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Hw 77 fits in the thumbhole stocks i have a old type 25 mm 77 in one in 22 silky smooth very little recoil either for a30+ year old gun

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  4. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

5. tinysmall

tinysmall Member

This might raise a few eyebrows but... the Walther LGV is excellent. I've fired a 97 and chose the Walther over it. No twang at all, everything is smooth, more accurate than the firer and in the black stock, only about £300 new. it's built like a tank and I absolutely love mine. After a tin of pellets goes through it and it beds in, it's even better, though Walther do put way too much grease in there.

6. Pete E

Pete E Engaging Member

Matty,

Thanks for that..I can't get into the Classified on BB for some reason, but I've dropped one of the Admins a PM to see if they can sort.

Dave,

My local shop has a HW77 for £230. I've not seen it yet, and I've no idea if its a 25mm or 26mm version, but will be having a look Tuesday. How much do the thumbhole stocks go for and where do you get them from?

Tiny,

I can't comment on the Wathler, other than to say it seems to draw very mixed opinions. Glad your pleased with yours and that's its trouble free..

Regards,

Peter

7. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Probably don't have enough posts Peter,I'll drop the guy a PM and see if he has any other alternative contact methods for you.

8. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

I bought mine brand new from chambers think it was £115 posted

9. Pete E

Pete E Engaging Member

Cheers Dave..Suspect it would work out about the same as buying a new HW97 for me though..

Matty, thanks for that..I'm Pete E on there too if he wants to drop me a PM..

Regards,

Peter

10. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Ive about £200 in mine minus the scope bought the gun on here just needed tidying up

11. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Get the 77, you know you gotta do it now otherwise it's gonna bug you forever !!!