1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Good news That's a bit more like it should be

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Andy Wales, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Well, after all the questions and fuss over my scopes etc and the fact they wouldn't zero in or hold their zero due to crap mounts etc I think I may have finally solved the inaccuracy problems at long last.

Hatsan Mod 60s .22 Standard out the box twangy, heavy recoil and not tuned, lubed etc.

Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 4-12x50 AO @4xMag AO set to 25yds

Mounts - The one's that came pre-mounted (perfectly aligned) with the Nikko. They appear to work just fine even though I have no illusions they're a cheapish pair.

Pellets - H&N FTT (A big surprise here as RWS Superdomes are my rifle's favs but I didn't have any left when I shot these yesterday

Finally - ME. Yes, I was the shooter I assure you :)

Ok, so it's just a mere 25yds, but I now have far more confidence than I have done for weeks and this "cheap" Nikko Stirling performs well enough for my needs. It has a brilliant clear view, focus is pin sharp with excellent clarity, great FOV, 4-12 Mag, AO and I was pleased with the very low light performance at just past 7pm last night (Almost dark). Oh, and this one IS rated as RECOIL+SHOCK+FOG proof too, unlike that cheap Chinese scope I bought that you all hated lol.

POA was the centre of the bull and I think you can agree the POI was the centre of the bull, so she's zeroed in pretty good I would say. She also HOLDS her zero unlike the other scope(s).

6-7 pellets were shot and 1 flyer went slightly below as you can clearly see. The H&N FTT's did this a LOT before and this is the same tin. It was probably me and I may have moved ever so slightly. Rest was, well, you can see the bale my rifle is on in pic 2 ;).

Now for a quiz/guessing game if you want a try for fun. Have a good think about it as the answers pretty easy really :p. When I first got back to shooting 7 weeks ago after a 30 year absence, after 2-3 days I was getting some really good tight groups and was reasonably pleased. Then something changed and the groups went to hell and up until yesterday I could not do consistent, small groups. The Nikko may have helped a LOT, but it's not the answer. The previous cheap scopes and mounts may well have played their part before, but I don't think that was enough to cause such inaccuracy either. So, why did I have such good performance yesterday as you can see in the photo below? Guess away if you want ;). Here's the pics.

2. warrenater

warrenater Donator

was it 1 answer a = dieseling or
    2 answer b = the demon drink ?
    seriously though glad you have it worked out now :)
    atb gary.

3. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Stopped holding it so tight.

4. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Good shooting mate glad you've got it sorted. Those mount masters are ok I got one on an ultra I bought once.

answer - confidence in your setup?

5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

A combination of the two?

6. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

You stopped using .177 pellets?:D

I'll guess at consistent hold on the forestock and stopped resting your trigger arms elbow on the rest.

7. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

I'll take a punt on you (possibly) now wear glasses where as you didn't 30yrs ago and they where causing huge parallax error !...

:up: Or :down: ?

8. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

You've obviously made a big improvement so well done.
    If you want to shoot tight groups you should try something different. If your POA and POI are the same (you're zeroed at this range) the first thing that happens is your aim point vanishes as you shoot it away. If you wind your elevation knob 1/2 or 1 turn (up or down doesn't matter) you can easily shoot at exactly the same aimpoint every time and you will get a nice group somewhere else on the target. When you've finished shooting groups just wind the elevation knob back and fire a couple of shots to check zero - job done.

9. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Come on, Andy - the suspense is killing me! What changes did you make?

10. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Was the wind calmer:D

11. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Well, I was kind of waiting for a few more attempts at an answer, but judging by the amount of views to this thread already, I think everyone is holding back for fear of getting it wrong :D, (or a lack of humour around here :p) so answer coming up.......Soon :)

12. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Switched from .177 pellets to .22? :p

13. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

@Warrenater - Not dieseling and I stopped the demon drink 20 years ago ;)
    @Kenbarcon - Very good answer and almost right :)
    @DR2501 - It has made me more confident now, but that wasn't an issue before really ;)
    @Jackroadkill - Mmm, nope, not really.
    @timmytree - Not the pellets or rest position sorry.
    @TORNADOS7 - I do now wear glasses for a 1ft distance reading only. Not for anything else though.
    @Akita177 - Actually, there was quite an intermittent strong breeze when I shot yesterday.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Some good answers guys, thanks for having a go just for fun :). All were close and kind of related, but not quite 100%.

I actually just simply had to re-learn HOW to shoot a springer again as I had obviously forgotten how they work at their best and most accurate. After 30 years away, you just tend to think you still know how and just get on with it I guess. In the end, it was almost ALL down to my use of the right hand/Index finger on the TRIGGER. Almost every time I fired the rifle, I was unknowingly moving the rifle/crosshairs just enough to not allow proper/tight and consistent groups!!!! I was up the farm yestreday and I thought ok Andy, it's time to get this right once and for all, find out exactly what's wrong or sell up and find something else to do.

I thought it through carefully and then remembered a post I had on here somewhere about "Zeroing/groups" saying "you can't do that with a springer or they will never work as designed, they are MEANT to recoil slightly at least and so pinning it in an unmovable position will never work" (I can't remember the poster right now sorry). That was all the tip I needed.

While about to take a shot, sometimes, (but not every single time) I would hold the rifle TOO tightly (as Ken said) but more important, I would hold my right hand around the stock tight enough that the trigger could not be squeezed gently and smoothly enough to prevent the rifle from moving :facepalm:. A mil or 2 or 3 of movement at the crosshairs can be all it takes downrange at 25yds and more to make the POI change quite a lot a you will know. I kind of guessed what was happening, but couldn't pinpoint it. The moment I relaxed a little and just SUPPORTED the rifle and gently and smoothly squeezed the trigger, the darn thing was suddenly shooting every pellet under that magic 5p piece :D everyone raves about! I jut simply let the rifle SPRING as it was always designed to do if that makes sense. You have to remember, 30 years away, bad habits starting from first day back, no one else to turn to and ask, no club to go and be shown and you have a good chance of incorrect shooting. I know you guys helped a LOT with patient help and suggestions but there isn't really a substitute for someome actually being there to SEE how you are shooting and going from there.

Well, that's it and hopefully this *may* help anyone else reading it to solve their "Springer" accuracy problems and not to have to try and find out/re-learn it all as I did. All those wasted weeks and pellets :facepalm:. Now all I need is to prove I can do it consistently every time I go out :). And I'm going out again tomorrow :D. I guess a PCP/Co2 is a lot more forgiving than a mean, heavy recoiling springer like my Hatsan eh? :rolleyes:

Andy :)