1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Testing Newly Made Moderator

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Frog, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Frog

Frog Engaging Member

I have worked out a new design of silencer (new to me!) - reflex and vented.
    Made one up for my raider - not the Ideal rifle for a reflex silencer as very little space for the back chamber.
    2 sec video below of me testing if it was reflexing (??!) and venting.
    VIDEO

I find it kind of pleasing for some reason!

At 4m from the muzzle the silencer is reducing muzzle noise from 74 to 63db (according to my phone decibel meter app..). Ears tell me it works - not much noise being projected forwards which is what you want I guess...

The 'tink' you can hear at the end of the video is the pellet hitting a can 22yds away.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    phil.m, hairyarms and SpringerLover like this.
  2. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

sounds like my 97

3. Frog

Frog Engaging Member

Interesting! My 77 is fairly quiet too. If you have android the app 'sound meter' is useful - I'm not sure how accurate is is but it is at least consistent and useful for comparing sound volumes - e.g. one silencer with another.

4. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

mine has been `upgraded` the mod has been modified lol.. and the internals of the rifle changed, so is quieter than a standard one... did you try one without vents to compare it? you will hear the sound more at the rifle than in front of it because of the vents

5. Frog

Frog Engaging Member

That's the theory(!!) - directing some of the wasted energy away from the muzzle. As reported above the sound reduction in front of the muzzle compared to not having any suppression is impressive. I will try it blocking the vents (tape) to see if that makes a difference - i.e. working as just a reflex silencer. As mentioned above the raider is not a good rifle for a reflex silencer as you can not make the reflex chamber large enough really (which is why I vented it...).

6. carnivore

carnivore Keyboard Hero

Try some felt or wadding between the barrel and the vents. Not stuffed too tight , just enough to further retard the escaping air. That quieted my P15's vented shroud.

Frog likes this.
  7. Frog

Frog Engaging Member

Already there - built into the design!

8. qyuubi786

qyuubi786 Well-Known Member

I did similar venting on my for my 3d printed silencer. I didn't use any felt as I thought any resistance would cause the air to come back out the muzzle.
    I made mine offset so that the air has more room to expand and vent out.

Attached Files: