1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Teslong Usb Bore Scope Review

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, Nov 7, 2019.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Introduction

Despite having wanted a bore scope for many years I've never found one that gave a palatable combination of price, performance, credibility and calibre suitability.

Unfortunately the subject of this review still isn't small enough to fit down a .177 barrel, however it appears to tick pretty much every other box and now I have the .223 there's a stronger argument to justify having a .22 calibre borescope.

This thread is all about the Teslong Rifle Bore Scope, a Chinese product that came to my attention on another shooting forum.

Teslong are clearly keen to spread the word about their products and are currently offering a "free trial" promotion aimed at "social media influencers". In the interest of full disclosure I've applied for this promotion and if this review qualifies (subject to Teslong's assessment), will receive a partial or full refund on what I paid for the unit.

Given my reputation for telling things as they are I hope the good people of AGF will continue to trust my integrity to remain intact throughout this review ;)

Reasons for Choosing this Model

I was swayed towards this unit over alternative electronic bore scopes for various reasons:

USB Interface: The bore scope plugs into any standard or Micro USB port, allowing it to be used with PCs, android phones and various Apple products. This allows the camera's output to be viewed at larger sizes, while photo and video captures can easily be recorded, edited, retained and shared. The unit's lack of a standalone user interface / viewing screen also makes it a lot cheaper and less prone to failure.

Dedicated Design: Unlike many of the "general purpose" bore scopes available this unit is specifically intended for firearms use and as such has some welcome / necessary features; including the 45 degree mirror attachment and appropriately short focal length.

Excellent Reviews: From what I could find on the net it seems that those who've tried this unit are impressed with it, as supported by the footage some have published.

Decent Resolution: The 720p (1280x720 pixel / 0.92 megapixel) resolution is higher than some other models and offers a decent level of detail.

Competitive Price: This unit can currently be found on Amazon for a shade under £50 delivered; significantly cheaper than the many standalone items currently available.

Sourcing

It seems that (unsurprisingly) these units are primarily aimed at the US market. Having contacted the manufacturers regarding the promotion I was sent a link to their Amazon.com presence; whose willingness to supply to the UK was "variable" at best.

After raising this issue and a bit of "email tennis" (the company's responses usually being prompt and helpful) I was provided a link to their Amazon.co.uk outlet; which I believe shipped from Germany. The unit was ordered at a cost of £49.99 (delivered) on the 31st of last month and arrived as scheduled yesterday, the 6th.

The Unit Itself

Upon removing the outer packaging I was greeted by the following square, shallow box..

[​IMG]

.. lifting the lid revealing its contents - the probe assembly, interface cable, USB adaptor, manuals in both English and German and alcohol wipes.

[​IMG]

The probe assy (below, left) has an effective / insertable length of around 95-96cm / 38"(depending on mirror fitment), while the interface cable is around 156cm / 61" between the outside ends of each cable. In practice the probe's length should cater for any barrel on the market while the generous interface cable allows lots of room for manouver providing the gun is fairly close to the device its connected to.
    [​IMG]

The probe is stiffer than the interface cable and if left to its own devices naturally straightens out. An attached label warns of the dangers of coiling it too tight:

[​IMG]

The interface cable's dual-fitment USB plug and removable adaptor; perhaps for Apple devices since they usually have to be different..?

[​IMG]

The interface cable has an integral dimmer for the probe's on-board LEDs. This is a nice touch although in practice so far not necessary as it's usually better to provide as much light as possible and compensate for this with the exposure settings; reducing the necessary signal amplification and improving image quality to an extent.
    [​IMG]

The five-pin connectors that plug & screw together to link the probe and interface cable:

[​IMG]

The camera end of the probe, with the 45 degree mirror attached. The axial position of the mirror assy can be adjusted by maybe 4-5mm by screwing it along its mounting thread and fixing it in position with the locking ring that sits between it and the camera housing. This controls effective focal length; with near-full extension suiting smaller bores and larger calibres needing the mirror moving closer to the camera.

[​IMG]

The OD of both mirror and camera housings came in at just a shade over 5mm (maybe 5.05mm). It goes down a .22 perfectly but I'm not sure I'd try to stuff it down a .20 calibre rifle; academic in this case since I've never owned one so can't see for myself :p

[​IMG]

The image of the camera unit and array of six radial LEDs, reflected in the probe's mirror:

[​IMG]

The remaining contents of the box; the instructions appearing well-written, understandable and reasonably grammatically-correct; although of course being male I paid scant attention to them and instead started fiddling with the unit straight away..

[​IMG]

Overall initial impressions of the unit are very favourable with no immediate cause for complaint about its build quality as everything seems well put together and finished. The only two small issues I can find are that the mirror thread is a bit sloppy (although this becomes largely irrelevant once it's locked in place) and the LED dimmer switch might be better located closer to the probe itself, however I don't see this as an issue as i doubt I'll be using it much if at all...

Setting Up

Before starting, the software necessary to view and capture images from the bore scope needs to be downloaded from the net. This process is straightforward enough and detailed in the instructions for various platforms; which also state that it is free of adware or any other malicious software; which so far I have no reason to doubt.

Two applications are available - "Endoscope Camera" (which allows both video and stills capture) and "Amcap" which apparently only does video, but seems a bit more stable. Once the software has been installed the camera is ready to use :cool:

In Use

For viewing a .22 calibre barrel I found it appropriate to wind the mirror out until the inside edge of the cutaway at its base was just below the level of the LEDs (the position illustrated in my images of the unit). The depth of field is relatively shallow and this is just a ballpark setting; it's possible that fine adjustment might improve image quality further.

If using the unit in larger bores it might be a good idea to fit something around the camera housing to increase its effective diameter and centralise it in the bore in order to maintain a consistant distance between the camera and the surface it's viewing.

I'm not going to go through the software settings in painful detail; however I'd recommend investigating the manual settings - exposure especially as I often found that the auto setting was one notch higher than my preferred one, giving an over-exposed hot-spot in the centre of the image (but arguably more detail in the areas surrounding it).

I preferred using the Amcap software - it only does video but is much smaller and doesn't require the many permissions the "Endoscope Camera" program somewhat questionably demands from my firewall. Both pieces of software allow live viewing of the camera feed, then an option to capture / record footage, then save it.

I have pretty much zero experience of video work and was a little surprised by the file sizes; with five minutes of (presumably) uncompressed, full-res (1280x720), 30 frame/sec footage coming in at about 1Gb :eek:

Using the unit itself was straightfoward and uncomplicated; stuffing it down the muzzle of the rifle (in the absence of any rear-access) and manipulating it to see all these areas that had hitherto remained out of visual reach.. As when sticking anything down the barrel care should be taken to avoid damaging the crown and / or bore by heavy-handed or careless operation.

Ultimately operation held no nasty suprises and everything functioned as was expected :)

Output

Probably the bit most have been waiting for! Please remember that I'm new to all this, although think I have a pretty decent handle on it and am certainly not disappointed by the unit's performance.

I chose to inspect the barrel of my .22 calibre Air Arms S410 Carbine as it was the closest / most convenient rifle to hand with an appropriately-sized hole down the middle. The mod was removed but the adaptor left on; the ID of which can be seen in the footage / images of the crown.

I started by taking a look at the breech end of the rifle, then working my way along the barrel and terminating at the muzzle.

Below are a selection of stills taken using the "Endoscope Camera" software throughout this process; which should be displayed at their native 1280x720 resolution on the forum:

The breech seal; which is around 1.78mm in section:

[​IMG]

The 3mm diameter transfer port; showing a bit of (inconsequential) misalignment with the breech block:

[​IMG]

The leade into the bore between the transfer port carrier and barrel itself - note the lovely smooth, crisp geometry of the rifling:

[​IMG]

A section of bore somewhere in side the barrel; note that the rifling lands are thinner than the grooves:

[​IMG]

An adjacent section of the bore; interestingly while the surface of all the lands seem polished, some of the grooves appear matt while others are polished just as the lands are. I'm currently unsure of why this might be.. note also the six LED's reflected in the very shiny barrel surface:

[​IMG]

Finally the barrel crown; which sadly isn't as nice as the rest of the tube. Machining appears rough and there's evidence of lead buildup (possibly because of the poor machining). Potentially a candidate for having the crown lapped methinks!

[​IMG]

Now on to the main event; the videos of this process. Below are three shortish captures of the process described above. I've muddled my way through some free video editing software to crop out the necessary bits and compress the files for web use.

The videos below are pretty indicitive of the originals, although when viewed side by side are a bit more washed out and (less contrast and saturation) presumably due to the compression.. anyway, if you're happy with these you'll certainly be happy with the raw output :)

These captures are the same resolution as the images above, however unfortunately for some reason are re-sized smaller when embedded; so it's worth looking at them full-screen or opening in a new window and re-sizing to the approximately correct dimensions to get a real idea of their quality. Tbh even when blown up on my 1680x1050 monitor they look pretty good :)

Breech area:

A full pass of the barrel from breech to muzzle:

The crown:

I'm certainly satisfied with the quality of output from the camera and tbh couldn't really ask for anything more from an item at this price :)

Conclusion

After this short period of fiddling I'm so far very impressed by this unit; it having allowed me insight into this fundamentally important area of my rifles that until now had remained hidden and brought with it a few surprises!

I'd thoroughly recommend this bore scope to anyone who wants to take a look at the otherwise inaccessible world inside their barrel; whether this is to assess its quality / finish, general condition or extent of any fouling (either before or after cleaning).

I'm looking forward to checking these facets relative to my airgun barrels, as well as the throat section on the .223 as this is the area that will degrade most as the round count increases. This Teslong bore scope so far has proven itself an excellent tool for the job; providing decent images at a price that I think is justifiable to many owners.

I can find very few things to criticise about this product; quality of manufacture looks good, operation is straightforward and performance is certainly good enough for the task(s) in hand. As previously mentioned it'd be nice if the threads on the mirror mount were less sloppy and the dimmer switch could potentially be better placed, but these are minor criticisms.

I suspect alternative USB-based units could be had from ebay for less than this one; however FWIW Teslong seem to be trying to build a reputation so I'd hope the after-sales backup would be superior to that of some random ebay seller. Rightly or wrongly I feel a lot more positive about this purchase than I would have in effectively buying blind off ebay.

Finally, of course to me (and many others) the holy grail would be a unit small enough to get down a .177 barrel; which I've mentioned to the manufacturers and appears to be something they're receptive to. Of course they'll be reading this thread, so if you'd like the opportunity to buy a .177-friendly bore scope please make your voice heard ;)

I'll keep this thread updated with any developments / progress I might make with respect to the unit itself and will link to any rifle-specific tasks I set it :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Nice one Mike, thanks for sharing your thought on this interesting bit of kit ... :thumb:

cloverleaf likes this.
  3. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

Very nice write up, I agree a .177 bore scope would be brilliant.

Regards
    Peter

cloverleaf likes this.
  4. machine a newun

machine a newun Engaging Member

Evening,
    That is an impressive bit of kit, I have had two different "Bay" 5.5mm borescope's from the far east and though functional neither come up to the quality of your images. I am on the cusp of submitting capital expenditure request to the accounts dept. Who knows Santy may bring one.

cloverleaf likes this.
  5. stew87

stew87 Certified

Excellent write up as always, looks like a great bit of kit and the videos/pictures are very clear, :up:

cloverleaf likes this.
  6. NIVEA

NIVEA Not Banned Yet

As always from Cloverleaf a thoroughly comprehensive well written and easy to understand review.

God. I wish I had that technical know how.

Well done Clover . . . . . :up:

cloverleaf likes this.
  7. audi swift

audi swift Man up & pull the bloody trigger.... HFT 101.

Live in Stoke On Trent. But i visit Bromsgrove.
    Nice write up & great idea for a .177 version.
    I've been reading Robs & others on STB forum, too dear for my pockets' but if a cheaper .177 version comes out i will defo think about getting one.

cloverleaf likes this.
  8. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

A great thread and vids too, top work Mr Clover and well worth a read/view :thumb:

cloverleaf likes this.
  9. DrGunn

DrGunn Engaging Member

Excellent review, looks like a very handy bit of kit. Most of my air guns are .177 so a smaller diameter version would be great. This one would be handy for inspecting my powder burners though, especially my black powder pistol as I’m never quite sure if it’s completely clean.

I’d be interested to see some images without the 45deg mirror - it looks like the field of view is wide enough to provide a reasonable view of the whole circumference of the barrel for a quick inspection?

cloverleaf likes this.
  10. pjgtech

pjgtech Keep Back...!! 2 Metres min...!!

Nice write up Mike, If I had more than one .22 I'd buy one of these, but as you say, a .177 version would be really useful....
    Thanx for the review... :thumb:

cloverleaf likes this.
  11. Wewekokowe

Wewekokowe Busy Member

Good stuff, this one seems to work, there were few videos online recently where the image was low res and completely out of focus.

cloverleaf likes this.
  12. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

I've worked with different boroscopes in aviation and your one is much better than the overpriced obsolete tat a lot of OEM's recommend!

Bunny-on-Bunny and cloverleaf like this.
  13. Bagster66

Bagster66 Posting Addict

Now that's interesting, crown was a little rough.
    I would be interested to see a comparison between a standard barrel pre and after a polish a la big Al.
    Also would be good to see a barrel that hasn't been cleaned for years a la Dr B.

Thought provoking as always, thanks for sharing :)

cloverleaf likes this.
  14. Thiel

Thiel Donator

really interessting stuff.
    i would buy a .177 version! the pictures looking amazing and the price tag is on the low side :)

cloverleaf likes this.
  15. Doobs13

Doobs13 Engaging Member

a hell of a lot of time and effort put into this to show most of us something we've never seen before, excellent review, mucho appreciated mate, ta.

cloverleaf likes this.
  16. EastmidsHD

EastmidsHD Keep pullin' that trigger..

@cloverleaf Did you see the link for this on UKV Mike?

17. rkr

rkr Posting Addict

Thank you for your efforts on making this review. I'm now seriously considering if I need one, I know I want one :facepalm:

cloverleaf likes this.
  18. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Thanks guys - glad you found this product / the stuff it reveals as interesting as I do :)

Thanks - it's good to get some confirmation that it's superior to the cheapies out there as I've not tried any of those :)

Indeed; Rob's stuff sounds really nice but unfortunately too pricey for a lot of us and also limited in terms of retaining / sharing information since its purely optical.

Ta and yes - very useful and insightful so far!

I had planned to include some shots without the mirror, however the task in hand was a pretty large undertaking anyway and the mirror can be a bit fiddly to adjust (and also risks getting partial finger-prints on while being gripped) so I chose to leave it where it was set. Tbh the 0-degree view doesn't tell you a lot as the depth of field is so thin (I'd guess only a few tenths of a mil) you can see little detail. You can get a reasonable idea of what it would look like by the in-focus areas around the peripheries of the mirror..

Was the one you saw the same model? IIRC it does also have a lower res. setting but I don't know why anyone would use this other than to conserve disk space. I guess the focus could be put down to driver error!

No worries and yes; hopefully once I've got to grips with it I'll be able to start posting such content :)

It was indeed - might chuck a link to this thread on there later as it seemed to be generating a fair bit of interest over there too.

Thanks and yes; creating this review took the best part of a day. Assuming the manufacturers see fit to refund its cost I'll still have earned less hourly than I could have working in the local co-op - but of course that's not why I do it!

Will update the thread (and maybe OP) a bit later / over the weekend with some more thoughts that have come to mind :)

audi swift and Doobs13 like this.
  19. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

What app are you using

all the apps I’ve found for a pc are all adware and malware riddled

so not sure about phone apps

20. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

Do you have any plans to test other medical equipment? :confused:

243deer likes this.