1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Tentative Stripdown For First Timer, Hw99s

Discussion in 'Technical' started by GrahamC, Jun 29, 2020.

1. GrahamC

GrahamC Active Member

My first air rifle and first strip down to fit a tbt drop in kit and generally familiarise myself with the thing. This is a rifle I purchased new quite recently and has had maybe 40-50 pellets fired through it.

Should the trigger assembly look like this, with the black tab on one corner angled like that?

Are all springs so roughly cut and 'finished'?

Any comments/concerns on what you see in the pictures?

I am not going to trust myself at this point to open up the trigger mechanism!

Thanks Graham

Attached Files:

2. johnnyv

johnnyv Busy Member

Trigger is fine

Make sure the articulated cocking link is free to articulate by working repeatedly whilst lubed through its full working arc, some people bash the joint to free off if needed

Knock that pin out of the arm for the delrin slip pad and remove the strong b****r of a spring under it so it can free float

Clean up slot and cocking foot end of lever and dress the spring end flat degrease everything then lube from afresh

I've just done a HW 50 essentially the same rifle with an excellent Welsh Willy kit which also includes a steel piston liner now shooting lovely

2506sendero, GrahamC and foxtrott like this.
  3. Storcky

Storcky Busy Member

Oh my it looks like someone has been in there before and it all needs a proper going over.
    I would Google the trigger assemble and look if that tab has been moved.
    As for the rest a proper clean and relube.
    The spring you can polish using wet and dry on a flat surface.
    Someone will be along soon with more knowledge of this gun than I have and put you right.

4. GrahamC

GrahamC Active Member

Thanks Johnny, gave the pin on the knuckle a 'tap' from each side and freed up nicely :up:
    Pin (semi) removed from delrin strip and spring removed, damn that is a strong little spring! Might opt for the biro spring option mentioned elsewhere.
    I've wet-n-dried the cocking foot and it looks quite smooth.
    Any particular lube preference for the cocking arm delrin strip?

5. GrahamC

GrahamC Active Member

I hope no-one has been in there before as it's a new gun.

6. Storcky

Storcky Busy Member

Wow luck of the draw with that one then :eek:

7. Gat Man

Gat Man Busy Member

Piston seal looks a little chewed up around it's circumference at one or two places

I'd be replacing that for sure with either another HW one or an Aussie version if you can wait

Careful easing it past the 4 square cutouts in the cylinder when you put it back together!

Zooming in on photo number 6 looks like the galling tram lines are evident :eek: but it could just be the photo?

Screenshot_20200629-194233_Chrome.jpg

8. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

No it all looks factory standard to me, trigger is absolutely normal.

Blackmax and GrahamC like this.
  9. stew87

stew87 Certified

Yes thats a normal spring :facepalm: bit of wet and dry will see it smoothed off a bit trigger is normal if it feels ok leave it be for now they can be little b*****s to get back together the rekord units. light grease on the piston seal nothing on the face and a smear of grease on the spring and remove that spring from the link and you will be good to go :thumb:

GrahamC likes this.
  10. GrahamC

GrahamC Active Member

Thanks guys for the reassurance and advice, appreciated :up:

11. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

Be careful not to lose the small (usually silver coloured) threaded retaining washer that slots into the trigger mech - ask me how I know ;)

12. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

Good video here :-

Vince68 likes this.
  13. GrahamC

GrahamC Active Member

That was the grease, once cleaned the seal looks good. I've seen positive comments on the Aussie seals.

I'll be sure to ease it back in carefully, thanks.

I think its a reflection in the photo, once the gunk was cleaned off there's no sign of any tram lines.

Gat Man likes this.
  14. StellaArtois Sr

StellaArtois Sr Springer Whore

Apart from too much grease on everything it all looks as it should be, when you open a HW99 up.
    I always remove any sharp edges on the springs then polish the ends up like chrome. Most manufactures
    produce springs like that, I have yet to see one that isn't like it.
    With the slots in the piston, I just fitted a Vortec unit in my HW98 and I actually used a Dremel to lightly
    smooth the edges out, it has made it very smooth to cock.
    As for the trigger that looks normal, just degrease it then add a little bit of moly grease to the sears you can see,
    and adjust it to your liking.
    As with most Springer air rifles you just need to finish them off properly.
    Ade :thumb:

GrahamC likes this.
  15. GrahamC

GrahamC Active Member

Haha, yes knew about that one, it did still fall onto the bench though. Also kept a finger over the safety, but ended up having to pull (ease) it out!

2506sendero likes this.
  16. landymick

landymick Big Poster

Trigger unit is fine , if you didn’t know already the tab in front of the trigger blade is used to alter the travel of the first stage.

GrahamC likes this.
  17. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

I just answered your pm, I haven't seen the email, text or carrier pigeon yet!:D

GrahamC likes this.
  18. GrahamC

GrahamC Active Member

Replied :up:

19. johnnyv

johnnyv Busy Member

Good moly or bumslide will do all that's needed on the lube front regards sliding bits
    Good drop of oil on cocking pins and breech bolt and all should be good:up:

GrahamC likes this.
  20. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

It's worth checking the interior edges to see if there are any burrs that could damage the piston seal whilst re-assembling.
    Also file off the edges of the lugs that secore the trigger block so that they are easily removed next time. If loose thay can be held in position with a little dab of grease. I only fit two and make sure these are fited diagonally opposite each other which allows for easy removal next time you take it apart.
    I find all HW springs are a disgrace and it's worth taking the time to either flatten the ends if required and/or , as suggested already, dressing them smooth.
    Jim