1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Taming the HW45

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Tinbum, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

After completing all the orders before my 3pm post run, I found myself with a few spare hours to play!

I love my HW45. Its big, clumsy, heavy and not particularly accurate, but there's something about using it that just makes me smile.:)

I decided to see if I could improve the tuning kit I'd been working on. The main problem is the rear moving piston with a steel spring guide in the piston itself. This design actively encourages recoil, and the added mass of the spring guide adds to the woes. An age old answer to this has been to have the guide at the front (back) instead of in the piston. This is sort of ok, but not ideal and it saps power.

I wanted to employ the same basic idea behind my rifle kits. Support the spring as much as possible while allowing it to do its thing. Today's breakthrough was a 50/50 spring guide, two identical guides half the length of the steel original and only a fraction of the weight. Add to that slip washers for the ends and the result is a very fast, and surprisingly quiet firing cycle with a greatly reduced recoil felt in the hand. I was pleased to see the power had risen from 4.5 to 5.6 fpe with hobbys, while dieseling has all but disappeared after lubing the insides with the merest hint of moly.

I'm going to do some very extensive accuracy testing at the weekend with my step-dad on some cans we've been saving, but the difference on just my 6 yard range is noticeable!

2. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Sounds good to me! Surprised you haven't had more of a response though. Been thinking of getting a pistol, either Webley Alecto or an HW 45...............Let me know how you get on with your testing, if you want you can PM me. One thing I am curious about is that nobody seems to use PTFE grease / oil to lube their guns with, it is the slippiest stuff known to man after all. One can get machinable PTFE bar stock as well, which I would have thought would be slippier than Delrin?

3. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Good to see an improvement on the hw45 I see nothing but glowing reports about them but personally I find them very jumpy suffer from spring noise, I hate the sloppy fit of the cocking link that rattles over the spring coils like old marleys chains.

4. Prosport.22

Prosport.22 Posting Addict

45 will make minced meat of synthetic guides, Steve Pope tried that route years ago (and gave up) its a hard shooting spring pistol,the design and tolerances for a powerful ratio of a rather large spring capacity, to energy output, encompassed steel components for a reason, durability.....

5. Tinbum

Its now had almost 1,000 pellets through it. There's no marking or wear at all to the guides. Just cos Steve couldn't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.:)

6. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Have you got any chrono data from before and after fitting of your kits? Not any tuning or anything inbetween,just with your kit being fitted?

7. Tinbum

Fraid not, I only had a combro until last week which is a tricksy b****r with pistols. Especially at 15 yards!:cool: One of the guys who bought a kit is doing tests. I'll post his findings when I get them.

btw, I've reduced the spring and brought the power back to 4.5fpe. Its very nice to shoot at that power!

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I'm not surprised the combro is hard to use,you're trying to shoot through it at 15 yard :D

9. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

I've tamed my '45....

It's called experience.;)

10. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I sent my 45 for a venom tune back in the early 80's it came back firing just as it did before so I got rid of it. Venom did some nice engraving work on the 45's though or rather outsourced that work but very nice none the less

11. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I have just bought a kit from Tinbum and will soon install it. Hopefully this weekend when I have put another couple of hundred pellets through it I will use the club chrono and get some pre installation data.
    As soon as the kit is installed I'll repeat the exercise and post the info here.
    I would do it at home but I'm not sure about my level of expertise at shooting through the Combro if indeed I could attach it to the HW45 let alone at 15yds!;)
    Dag

12. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Is this really a tuning kit? As I understand it it's really a replacement for the metal parts that give out spring twang ? Tuning is more involved.

13. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I think the only mention of tuning was Matty saying "Have you got any chrono data from before and after fitting of your kits? Not any tuning or anything inbetween,just with your kit being fitted?" I don't think anyone has suggested it is a tuning kit.
    dag

14. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Maybe I read it wrong I thought the product was called a tbt tuning kit ?

15. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I can see where you are coming from. The kit box in front of me states it is a TbT Full Drop-in Kit which is supplied by Tinbum Tuning but nowhere does it say on the box or the enclosed instructions which states they are Bespoke Airgun Parts that it is a tuning kit, Having said that it probably goes part way to the effect a tuning kit has doesn't it?
    Dag

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  16. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Oh ok my mistake then and yes you are correct it does go part way and probably one that I will use in the near future.

17. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I don't think you will be disappointed. If it goes as well on my HW45 as it has on my TX200HC then I'll be well pleased.
    atb
    Dag

18. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

Nice to see other folks struggling to get to grips with their pistols all over the forum. :up:

19. Tinbum

"Tuning" an air gun requires more than a few replacement parts or a more powerful spring. Just taking out the spring and polishing the ends and polishing the piston is more of a "tune" than a drop-in kit alone. But if you were to fit the kit and polish, deburr and smooth the insides it makes quite a difference and warrants the description in my view.

I see my kits as enabling would be home tuners to achieve more with just the equipment found in any home. Also, none of my kits (including this one) are designed or intended to increase power levels.:)

20. Tinbum

I got my first HW45 in '88 and have owned several since. Despite all this experience I'm still cack with a pistol, but I love em!:D