1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Tall order?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tasso, Dec 3, 2007.

1. tasso

tasso Member

I'm a keen small-bore shooter, but I'm aiming to buy an air rifle as well, not only for a bit of fun but also to get extra practice away from the range (we only get limited range time in my club).

So, I'm thinking along the lines of a .22... but here's the rub - to keep my eye in with prone & sitting positions I need to be able to fit a sling & handstop, which means an accessory rail.

It needs to be PCP, as I can't keep breaking position to cock a springer, I'd rather stick to the 12ft/lb limit, which puts the Theoben S Type out of the running (anyway, that rail looks a bit too close to the stock)

After that, he only halfway decent PCP rifle I can find with an inner rail fitted is the Air Arms MPR, but that is way down in terms of power. I'd like something I can use up to 50 yards, and I'm not getting a dedicated target rifle, which are too limited in terms of range & flexibility.

I'm thinking more along the lines of AA 410, Logun Mk2, Theoben Rapid, possibly BSA Superten III.

My questions are:

Of these (or maybe others I've not thought of), what would any of you guys recommend (bearing in mind we're only talking about target here, apart from the occasional rat perhaps)?

And how hard would it be to fit (or get fitted) an accessory rail in one of the above models so I can fit a handstop & sling?

Or perhaps I should abandon this daft idea and go for something like a Walther Dominator?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Any of the above rille's will do the job, personally I'd opt 4 the AA S410, as I used mine on ft ranges up to 55yds before having it wacked up to FAC, but u will be wasting time and money, going for .22...177 cal win's hands down when target shooting...dare I say hunting to...and its not a daft idea, go for it, I believe u will never look bk:up::D

3. tasso

tasso Member

Thanks for the advice, Andy... I thknk you probably have a good point about the callibre... but I'm still not so sure about the accessory rail dilemma?

4. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

hi mate have you not thought about the air arms s200
    theres a new stock design on the latest model , the stocks that go
    out to the states already have a rail fitted im sure if you spoke to air arms they would do you an export stock.

please dont underestimate this gun as it has won many ft comps

also .177 is the way to go for target work also for hunting in my opinion.

hope this helps.................ronnie.

5. tasso

tasso Member

Cheers - I think the 200 may be a little lightweight for me. But what I have done is asked AA if they could modify an S410 stock accordingly.

I'll ask the same question of Logun, Theoben and BSA and see who's willing to help :)

6. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

As said the S200 export model or a secondhand Pro-target should fit the bill.

7. tasso

tasso Member

Aaaaah ... Didn't realise they did an FT version of the MPR - seems it uses the MPR stock and the S400 action - just what the doctor ordered.

Decision made!

8. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

gun

theoben s type comes in 12 fpe not just fac and as i have said before the airarms 200 is rubbish they aint even made by air arms they come from the czech republic the 400 is a much better gun but the s type is in a league of its own if you can afford it get the s type you wont regret it

9. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i advise the AA S410 for your targets.

bythe way .177 is best for targets. heavy ones are used by FT shoters and hunters

10. tasso

tasso Member

Thing is my main requirement is for something I can use for extra practice when I can't get on a small-bore range. So it needs the feel and facilities of a prone target rifle, ie an inner rail and somewhere to fit a foresight. Much as I would love an AA410 or Logun MkII, for example, it just won't fit the bill.

Don't think the rail on the Theoben S will be suitable - when I'm prone shooting my hand is further forward than that little forestock (plus that huge buddy bottle is a bit OTT!)

Thanks for all the feedback, guys

11. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

I DONT HAVE PROBLEM WITH THAT MATEY, AND DONT BELIEVE ANY ONE ELSE ON THIS FORUM WILL, I WISH U THE VERY BEST OF LUCK FINDING WHAT U ARE LOOKING FOR, :up::):D

12. tasso

tasso Member

Ta... I'll let you know how I get on with the MPR FT - looks like a good piece of kit. Just wish I could have got a Logun MkII action into that stock!

Notice every manufacturer has thus far deafened me with silence - not even an acknowledgement of my emails. Obviously only interested in the mass market