1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Taking Up Ferreting

Discussion in 'Ferreting' started by GunnySonics, May 5, 2013.

1. GunnySonics

GunnySonics Engaging Member

I have decided to take up ferreting, i have done hours and hours of research online and bought various books, most favorably "Modern Ferreting" by David Brian Plummer.
    I plan to keep them outside and as im a pretty good at joinery i have drawn up some plans for a good sized hutch in the garden along with all thier domestic, recreational needs, this i am quite confident with.
    I also understand i need to spend a good deal of time with them daily, this isnt a problem as i walk my jack russell terrier twice a day and have plenty of time to interact with ferrets, i also have 2 kids that will entertain ferrets by building various assault courses made out of pipes etc in the garden.
    What i am finding is a bit of contradiction on the net about dietry requirements, some people are saying no cooked meats, no fruit and no milk, yet others are saying goats milk, soya milk or kitten milk??
    I understand ferrets to be lactose intolerant, if so do they require lactose free milk for the calcium benefit or not???

As a keen airgunner i have no shortage of bunnys, pigeons etc so i intend to feed my ferrets all of these raw along with whatever dried food the breeder i am getting them from recommends.

Eventually , when mature i intend to work my ferrets, i wont be getting them until June so i have plenty of time to learn how to work them, and i will be learning by going out with other ferreters first.

Ive been working collies and jack russells for the last 15 years so i am aware of how important it is to put your animals needs first and foremost.

Any advice relating to my questions will be greatly recieved.

Jonny86 likes this.
  2. kev1065

kev1065 Posting Addict

Good research I took up ferreting about a year ago and they are the most enjoyable pets/ workers I have 2 gills and keep them in a rabbit hutch but they also have a run I put them into in the day I feed them odd rabbit pigeon etc I also give them dried Kimble food and always give them water

3. strokebloke

strokebloke Honorary Member

All the best wishes for you venture. :up:

4. airhard

airhard Busy Member

Just feed them what you shoot leave feather and fur on they need nothing else other than water if you have no fresh kills feed them a pet store ferret food, don't feed them meat thats gone off, food that you or your dogs system might cope with could kill a ferret, you might have trouble with your Russell wanting to kill them.

Jonny86 likes this.
  5. GunnySonics

aye i know the introduction with the jack russell is going to take some work however he is a clever lad and i think he will recognise the connection when he see's me and the kids spending time with them he'll work out they are not prey, He's a playfull dog and he's never met a ferret yet so ill make sure it goes smoothly and slowly, my pal has 2 jack russells and 2 proper polecats and they all play well together in the house.

6. airhard

airhard Busy Member

It's not always possible to break them, the younger they are the easier they are to break i show my pups a big old hob who usually bits them on the nose the pup learns a lesson that stays with them the rest of it's life, you can't use this method with an adult Russell it will retaliate, the big test comes when the ferret leaves a warren in thick cover the dog hears the rustling and dashes in, on the other side of the coin ferreting without a dog is a real pain in the arse, best of luck breaking your terrier as you say slow and steady.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  7. GunnySonics

cheers pal, i will go slow on getting them to know each other, like you said he is to old for a bite on the nose and to do nothing, but i know he would enjoy playing with an animal that nips back as i often play on the floor with him and bite his ears back whenever he bites mine, he loves nip games.

8. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

if you give them full pigeons take the the crop/sack/throat out. it can be fatal worms etc. just personal experience.

ferrets are great litte warriors, demons to pests but also very friendly to my 3 yr old. i love mine like the dog, propper family members

Jonny86 likes this.
  9. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

If you go ferreting with the purse nets and not bolting for dogs I know a great bloke who makes them and they're brilliant nets in all sorts of colours so you don't leave them behind !!!
    And always use a ferret finder and collars
    Try get the mk3 as its the best one and works to 16ft

You can't beat hearing the thumping under ground and waiting to see which net bulges with a nice fat healthy bunny !!!
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Jonny86 likes this.
  10. airhard

airhard Busy Member

True, not just pigeons you should clean everything you kill rabbit intestines can be full of all types of parasite.

11. airhard

airhard Busy Member

I use the dogs to mark the warrens, there's nothing worse than putting out 30-40 nets only to find nothings at home.

12. GunnySonics

how much does your mate charge for the nets?

13. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

He has had to put his prices up recently as his materials have gone up
    If I remember rightly he charges £2.20 for spun poly nets
    I think I've got some around somewhere that I could do you cheap as we've stopped ferretting on the land we had and only shoot it now
    I bought 20 off him not too long ago and some of them are un-used
    Pretty sure there in our net bag if you're interested I could do you them for £35 plus postage

I would check eBay too for some but I wouldn't go for the cheap nylon ones as you'll be forever re setting nets when the ferrets pop their heads out
    If you use the heavier nets the ferrets don't move them when they come up for a nosey around

I'm not trying a sales pitch mate just think that these nets are very good quality and worth every penny

luap likes this.
  14. airhard

airhard Busy Member

I agree 100% £2.20 for spun nylon or poly nets is cheap and will last a lifetime.

15. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

ive just got a mk3 with 2 collars off ebay for £70:eek:.

good luck in it i love it, and make sure you have a good spade, ;)

16. steve_lincs

steve_lincs Busy Member

was told if youre feeding kibble to rotate it.... we can get 3 different types local... and we mix and match it.... theory being ferrets dont like change so if ones out of stock they would rather starve to death than eat a different variety... ours eat 3 different ferret kibble to a couple of handfulls of cat biscuits..... they seem to like cat biscuits better but nutritional value isnt as good for them.......

before winter comes once or twice a week they have chicken soup lolol.... yes after roast dinner chicken carcass gets boiled.. anything that falls of gets blended into a watery soup, ferretone is added and then bagged up and frozen....... really bulks them up for winter, we have had ferrets now for 4 years+ and not a problem........ cost us a damn fortune but there worth, but these are pampered pets not workers.... they will come later on ...... all the best steve

17. kev1065

kev1065 Posting Addict

Good tips there Steve specially about the food

18. steve_lincs

steve_lincs Busy Member

certainly a learning curve with the little fuzzies, ferret paste also handy to bang on the bellies, roll on back and there still long enough for a quick claw snipping session, also used to squirt oil on there food when fur goes horrible looking.... missus pampers them and if she has her way they will be having another new home...... nothing wrong with there 7x8 insulated shed with a 6x4 run on.... looks like missus wants an even bigger home for them.... or she wants them moving indoors and me out lolol

19. airhard

airhard Busy Member

Ferrets starving themselves to death is a new one to me:D

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  20. steve_lincs

steve_lincs Busy Member

put online ferrets starves to death or ferret wont except new food and you will see theres loads of people that reckon they will and have, hence why we change there food regular so there not used to just 1 staple food..... dunno how true it is but we have had n problems doing it our way lol..