1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Tackling jackdaws?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by brettguise, Feb 21, 2012.

1. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Farmers asked me to get rid of some jackdaws that are breaking through the netting of his 4,000 pheasants in pens. Was wondering the best way to get them as the pens cover the entire field and I wouldn't know where to start or attract them to the one area. He says they are eating all the eggs so I wondered if a type of egg decoy or something would work. I'm off tomorrow so would like some advice what the best plan of attack would be!

2. muzzy76

muzzy76 Busy Member

A crow or magpie decoy will bring them in range mate. I use one of those ACME crow calls and they respond well to that to.

3. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Thanks for your help. Went and grabbed a couple of crow decoys whilst at work. Wicked being so close to the local haha. Setting up about half 6-7 in the morning with a small hide. Hopefully have a good morning!

4. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

They won't be eating pheasant eggs for about another month, pheasants start to lay mid march and carry on until mid June. They will be after the layers pellets. Near feeders or spilt pellets would be good places to hide up, as would near any trees or barns they sit on before going down to feed. You could take some stiff wire so you can peg out the first one you shoot as a decoy. The crow decoys may pull them in or put them off? They don't work for me. 4000 layers that's some operation. Good luck Andy

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  5. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Cheers Andy. He said they were laying now :S don't know but I presume they will be around anyway. I'll look for the feeders and spilt pellets along the wooded side. Is it best to put one in a tree say 15 yards down the side of the wood and then one in front of me a good yardage out? I didn't know how best to put a decoy of its high netting wether to place one on top? I'll try the crow in hope it works.

6. r10hunter

I would watch for a bit for holes in the netting trees they are using or feeders they use and set up 40 yards from there. I would keep the decoys away from the shooting area if they get too near the decoys they will twig something is wrong. Make your hide as high as you can it will be better to shoot the birds on top of the pens. Cheers andy

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. ALEXON

ALEXON Engaging Member

Crow decoys when after Jackdaws have not worked for me. The best decoy for jackdaws is another Jackdaw but they must be presented in a lifelike manner, Jackies are very smart. the best way I have found to do this is to cut a thin strong stick (Hazel) 6 inches longer than a Jackdaw, sharpen both ends. Push the stick via the anal orfice carefully all the way through it,s body and into the base of the skull. The decoys can now be stuck into the ground at strategic points, making sure there are no ruffled feathers or loose feathers nearby. Pick up shot dead birds only after flock is out of sight and re-position decoys adding to as more the merrier. It is imperative you are well concealed, ideally inside a building in shadow, suitable covering for gun face and hands is a must. Changing location is useful as well. The best time of day to do this is to be set up and waiting no later than one and a half hours after sunrise. You are not likely to achieve great success as Jackdaws will soon weigh up your set up. The best way to eliminate them is to wait and catch them coming in to roost again being well hidden with well moderated gun. The hardest bit is getting a couple of decoys to start with, but you may be able to do this around farm buildings where they are used to seeing human traffic.

8. pitbull

pitbull Engaging Member

I,m surprised that with such a large set-up he isn,t using something like a funnel or letterbox type trap baited with bread near the pen!
    He,d be killing a good few with that although it would have to be checked daily

9. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

My old Gfriends Granddad used to hang dead jackdoors arround the pen. They used to rot right down to the bone, but he swore it kept the others away.

10. pitbull

pitbull Engaging Member

Works for a while for sure but it would depend if there is any public access within sight of the pen as this could cause problems

11. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

He just used to poke their heads through the fencing of the pen and let them hang. Already dead of coarse. I guess if anyone said anything he would just claim that they had got stuck which trying to get into his pens.

Anyway, it probably isnt what you want to do, as shooting is far better sport!

Good luck & Happy Hunting

12. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Went today with some crow decoys but didnt know where the hell to start! I decided after watching for a while that they were landing on a large patch of grass to the side of the pens. I moved and made a quick shelter from hay. I couldn't get any of them to land or catch any flying near the pens. I laid two decoys in the wind one at 30 yards and one at 35. I got a pigeon to land approx 60 yards he flew off before he moved any closer. Would 10 pigeon decoys and 2 crows bring all the birds in and I could just pick off the priority list?

13. pitbull

pitbull Engaging Member

Know what you,re saying re:shooting them but how does not trying other methods sit with the current licensing laws?

14. r10hunter

It is not a good idea to have a load of rotting birds next to your laying pheasants. Disease risk. I too know of old keepers that did such things but it wold not be the done thing today. You could just see that photo on an anti website. I would forget decoying and set up near the food supply. Better luck next time Andy

15. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

You don't have to try other methods if they are not practical.

16. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Theirs a good 20 acres of pens alone I don't know what food source would be best to set up hide.

17. r10hunter

Are they not getting through the netting in just a few places and using feeders near the holes? Maybe close up some holes first if there are lots of holes. They normally learn where a hole is and just use that rather than make more. Cheers Andy

18. Blindsquirrel

Blindsquirrel Active Member

If he doesn't mind, and your not making a mess, boil some wheat up and put it out a few nights over a couple of weeks in a spot you can snipe from. They go mental for soft wheat. Also keep still when you drop one, they'll come mob it.

19. Aaz

Aaz Active Member

I've found decoys don't work for me, if you use a recently shot bird the others will come back but hover it calling, when there's no call back they go again. Concealment and patience is the only thing that works for me, you could try getting a bunny first then leaving its guts in your shooting area, this has worked a few times for me in the past. These are an intelligent quarry, variation is key and build hide, leave it alone for a few days (they'll be watching you build it) then come back with gun hidden under jacket. Don't retrieve any shot birds until the others are out of sight. I reckon they've now got to the point when they see my van they know I'm there and I end up being an unpaid scarecrow :(
    Get settled in you position at least an hour or 2 before they roost, they'll come in to feed for a top up before they go to bed.
    Oh and get ready for the screaming when you take one, feels like something out of a Hitchcock film

20. megga

megga Busy Member

I to have a problem with jackdaws and magpies, the trouble is the field net to the barn has very happy and friendly horses in, who would livove to get in the hide with you (farmer rents that field just for horse's) to the other side is a path and across the path is a very large unused barn, to the front of the barn is the road. But its also experiance with me as i have not been for a year yet.