1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

SUPER EASY - Quality Watec build for people that don't like making stuff.

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by Yogi GunKanobee, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Yogi GunKanobee

Yogi GunKanobee Engaging Member

Few words, not many needed as it is very simple.

I didn't work this out myself. It's just putting together ideas I got from other people. For example -

Camera - Ken (DIY NV God)
    Torch info from nobbybonez
    25mm lens from walken and some bloke
    Pulsar DSA from weebster

So thanks to those guys, and the guys they got their ideas from.

First the parts.

I've managed to get them all without ordering anything from China.

Nothing from China!!!!!!!
    Camera – Israel,
    Torch host – Hong Kong,
    Dropin – USA.
    All the rest from the UK

You could save a few quid. I've choosen a battery from the uk, though yould get a battery from China for £10 (a long wait to see if your battery works), use waste pipe or similar and lens cap instead of the Pulsar mount, £5. You could also get a screen from China for £12.50, if you think it is worth waiting 4 weeks in order to save a couple of quid! Also here is a suggestion from Flykilla -

I've not tried one, but it's an option. :)

I've gone for speed, and quality within reason, and ease of build.
    [TABLE="width: 259"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Camera, Lens and display[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Camera + p+p [/TD]
    [TD]£85.21[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Lens[/TD]
    [TD]£23.99[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Right Angle Phono Plug[/TD]
    [TD]£5.00[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Power lead[/TD]
    [TD]£3.04[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Screen [/TD]
    [TD]£15.33[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Battery -12v[/TD]
    [TD]£30.99[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    Mounts
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]torch mount - figure 8[/TD]
    [TD]£7.19[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Pulsar DSA+ P&P[/TD]
    [TD]£35.94[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Scope mount for screen[/TD]
    [TD]£5.00[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    Torch
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]torch host[/TD]
    [TD]£16.00[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]torch battery[/TD]
    [TD]£5.95[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]torch dropin[/TD]
    [TD]£36.00[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]total[/TD]
    [TD]£269.64[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

To be continued..........

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. Yogi GunKanobee

Screen, camera, lens and battery.

Not much say about this bit...screw the lens into the camera! You can see the screen cable prepared.:)

[​IMG]

Before you wire it all up, work out how you want to mount the screen and torch. There are many ways, but here is the simplest. Just make sure you order the correct size torch mount for your scope, 25mm or 30mm body. BTW, if you decide to use one of the "Ebay lasers, or the Odicforce one, get a mount with a 18mm whole.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gotta go tactical

gotta go tactical Posting Addict

I feel a sticky comin' on please Mr Mod....:D

4. Yogi GunKanobee

Wire up the lead. I took pix after I'd finished, so I'll make another one in a few days, with pix.

[​IMG]

5. Yogi GunKanobee

And now the bit I really like, the Pulsar DSA! It makes it so easy, and it even has a nice bag to protect your kit. I don't need to tell you how it works because when you get it, it's just obvious.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Yogi GunKanobee

The last bit, the IR torch. I started of with the Ebay laser from Kens list, which is ok, but this one is a differnt kettle of fish. Check the link in the first post for details.

[​IMG]

7. Yogi GunKanobee

Attach the torch mount on your scope, Put the torch in the mount, mount the screen on the torch mount, stick the camera / DSA on the end of your scope, plug everything in and turn on the battery. Simples!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cable pix to come, and maybe a few pix on a gun....................

8. kenhawker

kenhawker Honorary Member

Night vision God my butt, ide look abit closer to home if I were you mate.

9. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

Nice one Yogi, brilliant thread. Good on you for making it very easy for people and doing this step by step. Just wish you had done it 6 weeks ago...:)

10. 2-dead-in-the-air

2-dead-in-the-air Active Member

What distance are you getting with this set up ?

11. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

Very good simple to follow thread. You've all seen the low end market stuff and the improvements to make them more useable for further ranges.

This is straight to the top end of the market, as you can see you pays yer money and makes yer choice. The end result is a low cost home brew that performs as well as, and even surpasses some professional ones costing well over twice as much.

12. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

One thing Yogi, would it not be better to have the 4.3 inch screen instead of this 3.5 0ne?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-3-Inch-LCD-TFT-Monitor-for-Car-Backup-camera-VCR-DVD-UK-Stock-Free-Shipping-/120938009519?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c287793af

Same size over all, but with a bigger picture..

13. Yogi GunKanobee

14. mealiejimmie

mealiejimmie Engaging Member

There is no way that this screen has 1440x272 pixels- the seller is either telling porkies, or, more likely he doesn't know what he's speaking about.
    All the 3.5 and 4.3 screen selling at these prices have 320x240 pixels
    I'm not sure the bigger screen will make it better since they both have the same number of pixels.
    This means that on the bigger screen each pixel is larger than on the smaller screen.
    How sharp the picture on the screen appears to our eyes is largely down to pixel size. The smaller the pixels, the better the image, so, in general, bigger pixels will give an image which appears less sharp.
    The advantage of the bigger screen is that you can see it clearly from a longer distance than the smaller screen. Depending on your set up that may or may not be an advantage

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers

Bruce

15. Flykilla

Flykilla Engaging Member

The pixel thing has been discussed before and you are correct, they are either all missinformed or blatently lying. I also saw that some of them also have "HD Monitor" as a title, which is a slight porky.

Reason for me mentioning it is that I have the screen that Yogi posted originally and it is good, but I did find the picture very small. It had a slight impact on my ability to see very small objects. The screen I mentioned is as near as damn it, the same size, but instead of just a 3.5" it has a 4.3", so why not have a marginally picture?

Its just a suggestion. And I do not mean to hijack this thread.

16. jmj

jmj Well-Known Member

Yogi, built this set up for me !! very pleased, its in the post and i will report on how it get on ASAP..

BIG THANKS to YOGI, as he dident have to do this for me.. restores my faith in people as he did all this in good faith... CHEERS BUDDY...

17. Yogi GunKanobee

I was thinking about pix for the wiring of the cable, and I realised that if you knew how to solder, you would probably be able to sort the cable out yourself.

On the other hand, the setup would be very easy to put together without any soldering, just not quite so neat. So,all you need to plug every thin together is -

A splitter cable
    A male to male lead - 15cm.
    or here is a 25cm lead

[​IMG]

Then the only DIY bit is mounting the screen on the mount - drill two holes. :)

18. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

I have ordered the 4.3" screen and am currently using Kens originally suggested 3.5" screen. I will let you all know if there is any improvment in picture quality!

19. Junes1

Junes1 Engaging Member

Yogi,
    Is the 25mm lens you used adjustable and does it need an adaptor, don't want to buy one that's not compatible with my scopes :confused:

Just ordered my Watec, it had to happen :eek:

20. Junes1

Junes1 Engaging Member

Can I ask this question again to save me from buying the wrong lense:)