1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Suitable wood for rifle stock with nice grain & advice for first time stock making

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by theobencarbine88, Feb 25, 2012.

1. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Posting Addict

I know i started a similar thread to this already but this one slightly different. Will soon be undertaking my first attempt at making a rifle stock.

Firstly i'm still not sure what wood to use, there isnt any walnut around here i can get my hands on and no beech either so its got to be something else. Theres a field maple i would be allowed to cut from. From my research so far it seems maple is a good strong wood & is used for rifle stocks in the US sometimes. Any idea what the graining is likely to come out on field maple? Also how the wood is to work with hand tools? - The other options for the stock could be ash or willow as there both in my garden and need some heavy pruining lol ... Know ash is a good strong wood for tool handles e.t.c but i worry it could be a bit plain.. Willow could be interesting as used for cricket bats so wud be supple & very strong... again not sure of its grain though.

next thing is dimensions: When i get my little project rifle next week i will obviously use its stock as a template but as a rough guide i was thinking a piece of wood 4 inches wide, 8 inches high & around a metre long just as a starting point.. Im going to be using either a trunk from a small tree or a large bough.

Finally i assume wood for stocks has to be aged/dried .. could i shape the stock whilst the wood is still green then let it dry after? Is that adviseable or is it to likely to crack? I'm into my green wood crafts & love working with wood so this is a project i really want to get into & will probably end up learning things for myself the hard way lol

Any advice on stock making & wood choice be appreciated. Thanks Rob :up:

2. john2667

john2667 Engaging Member

Hi maple makes lovely stocks but i dont think you will be making one anytime soon as the wood needs to be air dried for about 1 year per inch thickness and then kiln dried to get the moisture down to about 8% or less, the trunk needs to be used and nearer the root the better for the best graining, after you have done this then you can cut your stock blank

3. theobencarbine88

Christ, will be on the lookout for a nice piece of properly aged wood then it seems. Still going to have a bash at making one from greenwood.. maybe it will turn out ok lol. More than anything this first stock i try to make is simply for me to have a go & see if i can make a bit of wood fit an action.

4. brett1985

brett1985 Posting Addict

Have a look on ebay chap for gun stock blanks. Ive just had a tulip wood one delivered (commonly known as poplar).Light, strong and cheap. The grain on mine is quite faint, but should oil up well. :)

5. theobencarbine88

ok hadnt thought to look for blanks on ebay, will check it out :up: .... I got a well aged maple trunk section today, been fallen for a few years so has very little moisture to it. Will see how it goes with that first.

6. Whiskey500

Whiskey500 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Expect to pay upwards of £40.00 for a stock blank on ebay, Walnut is very nice to work with and is more so ready avalible than other woods, if your looking for a cheaper option try getting hold of a beach wood blank and perhaps even cheaper is good quality ply, glued together under compression with pva wood glue and basicaly built up layers untill you obtail your overall depth, once try bench saw your template and go from there with a belt sander, orbital sanding and the by hand getting finer grades as you go... you will end up with a laminated look stock, oh and before cutting your template use the best straight or straight cut edge for routing out the seating's for the rifle in question.

Just a couple of other options for you to look up and try out.

7. Geordie

Geordie Donator

Poplar, as mentioned above is an excellent wood to practice with. It's easily shaped and sands well. You can get a 8 x 2 1/2 inch 8 foot board for £40 - 50...easily enough for 3 blanks. The only draw back with poplar is that it dings/marks very easily.

Walnut is also a real pleasure to work with and a good well figured blank takes some beating.

Ash is also a good choice and not too expensive.

If you want to get a good idea of making a stock I'd get some suitably dried timber and stay clear of stuff that's too green. I bought some green Ash a couple of years ago. i bought it an inch larger on the width that was needed and put it away for 18 months. I put it through the thicknesser and by the time I'd got it squared up there wasn't enough timber left to do the job. save yourself some time and heartache and buy a piece of seasoned timber.

I'd go for Poplar all day for a first attempt.

Rgds, Gordon.

8. DougR

DougR Busy Member

Oh dear......

- Only if you want to go stark staring mad - as it dries it will change shape - by differing amounts in different directions - whatever you choose, use stable well dried timber.

So - Nothing that's still standing, nothing that is outdoors - unless you are prepared to bung it under the bed for three to five years BEFORE you start cutting.

Make it easy on yourself - one piece of timber - from between the centre and the sapwood and "cut on the quarter" -to get a piece like that you need to start with a tree at least thirty inches in diameter.

If you can find a large timberyard (I Like John Boddy's in Yorkshire) - go have a poke around and talk to the people there.

9. banger12

banger12 Engaging Member

beech, wallnut,rosewood, really any nice hardwood you fancy.

10. theobencarbine88

thanks for all the advice guys. I certainly wont bother trying to make a greenwood stock lol .. sounds like its going to be a pain in the a** ... I will post pics of my maple stock attempt when i get round to starting it. On the lookout for a suitable bit of aged timber incase my first stock goes wrong :rolleyes:

11. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

saw some nice blanks on ebay tonight one poplar (tulip) and some nice walnut not cheap mind

12. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Beech is used a lot these days :popkorn::popkorn::popkorn::popkorn: