1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Sudden Point Of Impact Changes During Springer Break-in.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Sisuphos, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Sisuphos

Sisuphos Member

I changed the piston seal and spring on my air rifle a few weeks ago and have put about 700 pellets through the rifle so far. However I have found that every 150 shots or so I experience a 2-3 cm drop in the point of impact at 10 metres, and the change seems to come with no warning at all. I'm thinking that this is due to normal break-in of the metalic spring. My theory from seeing this effect is that changes the spring's properties happen in little 'leaps' rather than gradually over time. Is this something anyone else has maybe seen or am I on the wrong track?

2. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I don't think any spring would change in little leaps apart from possibly a break, which yours has not.
    More like it is a sudden change in hold either through fatigue or some other reason, perhaps the odd tighter pellet?
    Jim
    ps Welcome to the forum!

Sisuphos likes this.
  3. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

@Sisuphos

It’s helpful to have your location should there be a question to answer, click HERE then scroll down to edit your details …. ;)

4. Andy D

Andy D Engaging Member

I would have thought 700 pellets should be plenty enough for everything to be bedded in. Might be some as simple as needing to clean your barrel.

5. Septic

Septic Superbus et Vetera

What rifle is it?...

6. Andy D

Andy D Engaging Member

Oh, and if your spring guide is a bit too snug, that can upset things intermittently.

7. Jimmypie

Jimmypie AGF Leshiy rehoming service

Do you mean a sudden and then continuous POI shift by 2-3cm at 10mtrs ?

if using optics I’d check for scope creep .

if it’s a one off ,and you are confident in all other factors like hold , optic / iron alignment then more than likely just a rogue pellet .

Harleybracken likes this.
  8. Septic

If it’s a break barrel, It’s probably not indexing correctly sometimes...
    That kind of POI deviation is exactly what you’d experience...

9. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Posting Addict

Did it shift before you changed the seal and spring ?...........why change them ?
    25 ish mm is a big drop at 10 m .

So.
    You shoot on target for 150 shots , then you poi will drop ?
    Does it stay down there ? or will it return to previous poi after more shots or leaving the gun to rest ?
    How long between shots ?
    Have you crono numbers before and after the shift please ?

Oh ,
    What rifle ?
    What seal ? ( originally and now )
    What spring? ( originally and now )

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  10. Sisuphos

Sisuphos Member

Norica Quick. It's a fixed barrel air rifle.

11. Sisuphos

Sisuphos Member

Yes, the downward shift is sudden and permanent. The rifle has a fixed barrel and I shoot using iron sights.

12. Septic

I’d suggest that the vibration may be knocking your elevation out..

13. Sisuphos

Sisuphos Member

I was thinking a dirty barrel could be the issue too, but then again cleaning my barrel every 100-200 shots doesn't really appeal to me. My barrel needs a few shots to settle after a clean, which I see as wasted pellets compared to rezeroing. I have heard of some rifles going over well over 1000 pellets before settling.

14. Jimmypie

so after 300 shots it’s a 6cm drop ? Or does it return back to original POI on the next session , 150 shots in a single continuos session will warm things up and possibly affect the cycle .

15. Sisuphos

Sisuphos Member

The point of impact stays the same for 150 shots then falls and stays on the new point. I let the gun rest, then shoot some more to confirm the new point of impact then adjust the sights, shoots fine for a while the the drop happens again. The old seal was cracked and the spring was bent, threw away the packaging but they were from a good source, both for my rifle a Norica Quick fixed barrel.
    The most recent drop, yesterday, happened after I last shot the rifle 3 days before, I can't say for sure if that's true for the previous changes.
    No crono unfortunately, really would have been interesting to have those figures.

16. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Posting Addict

Interesting
    So if this has happened say 3 times , then your current poi at 10 m is 75mm lower than original ? The poi does not return to previous settings ? so if this continues ,at some point yu'll run out of sight adjustment ?

I'll have a google of Norica Quick

Mate , buy , beg ,steal, borrow a chrony

17. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

Scope shifting I reckon

18. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

Had a quick look gotta be the longest transfer port known to man !

19. Septic

I think he’s using open sights..

20. Jimmypie

if they are dovetail , no reason why they aren’t shifting too .