1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Sub-£100 Air Pistol

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by ambriel, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ambriel

ambriel Engaging Member

I'm in the market for a sub-£100 air pistol. What do you recommend?

Don't mind if it's .177 or .22 as I have rifles in both.

No planning on putting a scope on it so will need to have decent open sights.

Thinking more along the lines of a good springer but wouldn't rule out a gas gun.

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Webley Typhoons are springers for abut £65 but not top quality, Beeman P17 2004E are single stroke guns so no recoil and are very accurate,not much power but great fibre optic sites,they come in at about £60

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

I'm looking for exactly the same at the moment.
    I'm leaning towards CO2 powered as it will be easier for my son to use and as it will be indoor target shooting the temp issue is not a problem.

At the moment I'm keen on the Crossman 2240 which go for £80 new, although the 357 Magnum 10 shot looks like it would be alot of fun!

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

2240s go for about £65 round here, plenty of power too for a pistol. semi auto Co2s always lack in power and accuracy,their main selling factor is usually realism and fun.

5. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

Not hears of CO2's lacking accruracy - other than when the cylinder needs changing or if you are going out in the cold.
    Are the £65 ones second hand? I did post a wanted ad here for a pistol but had no takers.

6. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I haven't seen any semi auto CO2 pistol that will match or even come close to the accuracy of a 2240 or a SSP.

I have just seen a 2240 with red dot posted for £60 secondhand on FB...

7. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I saw a £99 (New) Gamo c02 pistol on a local dealers website. Can't vouch for it or anything. Could be a fun plinker though.

8. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

Ah yes, I saw that one - looked a bit tatty and the seller didn't know how old it was!

9. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

if you want a genuine opinion on the 357 ask matty his erm dad has one that matty uses under supervision :D

10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Yes,I have a 357...came from a really nice bloke too :D can only use it when Dad is around though ;)

I get about 65 shots per capsule and accuracy is pretty good for a CO2 semi auto,it's realistic,bulky and lots of fun for plinking :)

11. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

Several Gamo compacts come up s/h for around £100. Excellent starter pistol for target use. Target grip, with adjustable palm shelf, single stroke pneumatic, excellent sights.

Dave

12. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Please the 357 is not a semi automatic, it is a double action there is a difference you know!

A semi automatic uses the power of the escaping gas to reload and recock the mechanism. The most famous semi auto is the Colt 1911. The airgun equivalent is the Tanfolio 1911 Witness at sub £100!

A double action is a revolver A single action requires you to pull the hammer back to take the next shot. A double action uses the trigger pull back to rotate the cylinder containing the shots so that when the hammer goes forward the shot is in position and loaded.

There are air gun revolvers that are single action, there are air gun revolvers that are double action, there are also airgun revolvers that are both single and double action.

The Crosman 357 is a dual action (single and double) revolver. I know, I own one!

13. secretagentmole

For accuracy you want a CO2 or PCP match pistol. These tend to be eye wateringly expensive. You can buy cheaper though. In olden days before people bolted air cylinders onto guns and decided to make them look like something from Star Wars, you had SSP (single stroke pneumatic) or recoil free pistols.

[​IMG]
    Daisy Powerline and a Gamo SSP pistols. These have match shooting sights and the Daisy 747 has been used in America at national level target shooting. They tend to make about 3 ft lb!

Now for those of you who prefer a Spanish twist there are the MSP (or multi stroke pneumatic). Imagine target shooting with the added bonus of trying to bruise your palms!
    [​IMG]
    These plastic palm shredders are closer to 6 than 3, available in .177 or .22 and are very very accurate! The long barrel helps a lot with that.

The wife has a rather rare SSP full target pistol in original case with seals that was under £100, this is the Air Match 600 SSP, came with full set of seals, original tool kit (ho ho ho poxy spanner and cheap plastic srewdriver that fits nothing - this was a noted flaw). This beauty is in it's own leather case and was hand made in Italy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (note extended foresight attachment and the left handed grip, my wife is left eyed).
    [​IMG]
    (note the switch, this allows you to cock the gun without pressurizing the mehanism so you can dry fire it to get used to the trigger mechanism)
    [​IMG]
    The black piece of metal under the gun is a foresight extender so you get greater accuracy!

[​IMG]
    4 of my pistols. The Daisy 747, Crosman 357, Crosman 1322 Medallist and 1377 Classic.

[​IMG]
    His and hers 1911's, the Tanfoglio Witness by Cybergun.

All of the above cost under £100 each. Just shop carefully!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  14. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

So you like pistols then!

15. secretagentmole

I have a few, got more rifles though, lots more rifles!

16. droid

droid Posting Addict

As Mr Mole has shown with his excellent collection there are a wide variety available and just upping the budget by £50 would open many doors.

Though I am normally biased toward Crosmans the CP88 is also a nice little starter pistol, a tuned 2240 would also come in sub £100 (with trigger mods), the excellent Alecto is also sub £150 used.

17. ambriel

ambriel Engaging Member

Thanks guys for all the info and suggestions. I'm away to do a bit more research now and see which of these my local (hah!) gunshop has for me to take a look at next time I'm in the town.

18. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Product description of the Crosman 357,taken from the Crosman official site.

The Crosman 357 Revolver is a Co2 air pistol.

This semi-automatic 10-shot air pistol is unique with revolver styling and finger-molded grip design, perfect for action shooting.

This semi-automatic 10-shot air pistol

19. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Doesn't matter what Crosman says - it's NOT a semi. Stating is is one doesn't make it one. It's double action. The trigger has to both cock the hammer AND release the sear or it has to be cocked by hand each shot.

As to the original poster's requirements, a Baikal IZH53 is an excellent spring pistol for well under your budget brand new.

20. secretagentmole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_pistol

Excuse me oh genius TH208 upgrader! Click on that link. Semi automatics are NOT revolvers, they are magazine fed pistols which are loaded by the action being powered by exhaust gasses. Crosman may describe it as a semi automatic, it is not. the 357 uses a revolver mechanism with a dual action trigger that can also be used as a single action by pulling the (fake) hammer back!