1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Stump Removal

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Tom A, May 29, 2020.

1. Tom A

Tom A Posting Addict

I've taken down about 20 blighted apple trees, and need to get rid of the stumps. They were relatively young trees, so only about 6 inches in diameter. No way am I going to dig out that many stumps by hand, so I want to rot or burn them out instead.

Can anyone tell me where I can get Potassium Nitrate for a decent price? 20 years ago, I used to be able to walk into the local hardware store and buy a kilo box for a couple of pounds, but not anymore. Most of what I've found online appears to be food-grade, and is rather expensive.

2. shorthouse

shorthouse Plinker

dig down a little then cut off below ground level. cover over and leave them to rot. if they try to put up new shoots (unlikely) just keep cutting them off.

3. 555

555 Busy Member

Drill holes in the stumps then fill them with strong weedkiller and let it soak in.

4. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

I'm waiting for a supplier to get some Spectracide back in stock to rot out a stump in the front garden ... in the meantime I have treated with SBK to kill off any new growth :up:

5. shergar

shergar Posting Addict

Always better to leave sufficient trunk to allow winching of root ball than cutting close to ground. Field grade nitrate in small quantities from garden centre, but local farmer who buys bulk bags should be cheaper. Raw horse dung to promote rot cheaper still.

6. Mortimer

Mortimer Big Poster

I'm tussling today to pull out a huge honeysuckle root. There is a heavy beam above supporting trellis on concrete posts, so the plan is to use a ratchet strap to give the final pull. Is this viable? :D

@Tom A When we had to remove diseased apple trees and ancient currant bushes we used a winch anchored on a mature tree to pull them. If you have access, do you know anyone with a tractor that would pull them ?

7. pjgtech

pjgtech .....Loading......

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    foxtrott and Lorenz like this.
  8. Paul G W

Paul G W Posting Addict

Stump grind them if you want them gone, wait until Winter, you really dont want to be doing it on a hot sweaty day. In the cooler months boots, thick trousers, gloves, eyeshield and hat are more comfortable.

foxtrott likes this.
  9. zeeco

zeeco Donator

Another one for a stump grinder, after all they are designed for the job.

10. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

@Felixlogs may well be the man in the know with this one.

11. Tom A

Tom A Posting Addict

The stumps are dead already, as they were felled last year. I'm in no hurry to get them out, but my parents want them gone. They're cut a bit too low to easily winch out, hence why I'm probably going to burn them. Sod digging them out in this weather.

foxtrott likes this.
  12. Felixlogs

Felixlogs Keyboard Hero

Stump grinder would be my choice unless you are prepared to wait for them to rot out naturally. If you feel that you could do the work yourself then you could hire a grinder but make sure there are no underground services nearby. Otherwise, you could get somebody in on a price and let them do the checking for you. 20 stumps of that size shouldn't take forever and the pricing is done by the inch. Just bare in mind that the grinder will only go a certain depth below ground level so it is unlikely that the ground will be clear for replanting and also a certain amount of roots will remain which may throw up suckers.

13. ped

ped Keyboard Hero

stump grinder is the easiest and todays job was to drop a field maple and a lilac then grind the stumps out
    maple was a full grind as they were digging out for a drive
    this is my bigger machine
    and a before and after on a stump
    i also have a little grinder that is ideal for small stuff
    18447402_1876142275981835_1333966722606963426_n.jpg 18425443_1876473832615346_6943176577481381445_n.jpg 18446753_1876474065948656_2225245505697380871_n.jpg 27867170_2003115993284462_6273375754284492938_n.jpg

555, phil.m and Felixlogs like this.
  14. Lorenz

Lorenz Engaging Member

I like Multiforst but would you have room to do it, I think you could plant something after one of those has been through.

15. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

A Battery drill a few cans of 777 powder and a reel of firework fuse should take care of it. :) :) :)

Mortimer likes this.
  16. Tom A

Tom A Posting Addict

Unfortunately, my dad moaned that I scared his chickens off lay the last time I exploded something.

Radlad, r10hunter and Rabbitpie like this.
  17. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

I don't know the structure or depth of a root ball on an apple tree, but when I had a gardening round the quickest way to remove medium sized stumps was to dig round the stump and use a pair of heavy duty loppers to cut a 2" to 6" section out of each main root. Using loppers you don't need to clear as much earth as you would if you tried sawing or chopping each root.
    Also the root balls can make driftwood like garden features -

20200530_093325.jpg

555 and Lorenz like this.
  18. Lorenz

Lorenz Engaging Member

I was going to suggest, but now reading your comment I will...If you do not mind getting a little wet and dirty you can use a jet washer to dig a trench around the tree and lop the roots off as suggested by Gunfun. I dug a trench connecting a pipe to a well for the water supply at one place I had going down 2 meters. I used a pump to take the water out but a lot of the water just dissapeared anyway, it was a lot quicker and easier than digging I can tell you and no jarring on my joints!

Gunfun likes this.
  19. buttloaves

buttloaves Engaging Member

A mate of mine tried to pull a stump out of his front garden with his artic unit, the stump came out but next doors lawn also came with it.

phil.m and 2506sendero like this.
  20. Felixlogs

Felixlogs Keyboard Hero

I've seen several walls and patios winched out along with a stump. Decent root systems can spread a surprisingly long way.

ped, buttloaves and phil.m like this.