1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. No longer allowed Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- We now do not allow political and religion threads anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section) unless Airgun related and they must be put in the Airgun related politics section..

Staff will not move posts for you if you put it in the wrong section – it will simply be deleted. You will then have to type it all out again and put it in the right place, so heed this warning.

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

struggling with the set up camera etc

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics' started by simon180399, May 2, 2012.

1. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

hello all,
    all the bits apart from the 16mm lens and battery pack have turned up, all is working as it should but im having a few problems.

firstly when i put the camera in the waste pipe that's pushed onto the scope all im getting is an image that's about as big as a 5p piece on the screen, and to get that tiny image the camera is about 12 inches away from the screen, i know im not using the 16mm but im experimenting.

secondly when the camera is looking through the tube the image is really bright, as if its looking at the sun, i cant see any detail at all just a circle of white light, ive tried adjusting the brightness, contrast etc but its still the same.

are these problems because ive still got the 3.6mm lens on or am i doing something wrong?

these are the item nos of the camera and lcd

please help as its really frustrating me
    simon

2. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

From the screen or the eyebell?

You need to start at about 2"~3" away from the occular lens and adjust distance as needed to get the image as good as you can. That lens is seeing too much either side of what you want it to see.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  3. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

i meant eyeball/eyepiece of the scope, sorry

ive managed to decrease the distance between the camera and eyebell to approx 8 inches, i have a clear image in my shed but as soon as i put it outside im just getting masses of white light on the lcd and cant see hardly anything but light.

4. JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle Engaging Member

If you've only got a small image circle with black around it the camera will adjust the exposure for the dark area, making the image too bright. Your 16mm lens will sort it.

Also the distance between your camera and scope should be, at most, the eye relief distance of the scope.

hth.

5. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

put it away until you get your 16mm lens, all that you have explained is because your using the lens that came in the camera, wait,be patient, It'll work pukka once your other lens arrives

6. nobbybonez

nobbybonez Busy Member

wait for the lens, dont beat yourself up. a 3.5 mm lens aint gonna cut it.

7. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

thanks fellas, its just im like a kid with a new toy lol

hopefully it'll be here tommorow

i might get another one of these cams for the garden to protect my shed/tools as i like them and the pic quality is better than i thought.

thanks again simon

8. kenhawker

kenhawker Honorary Member

Is the spot in the middle of the lcd tho lol. You don't get much from a 3.6mm lens do you bud. You will see a massive difference with the 16mm mate.

Ken.

9. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

yes ken ive managed to centre the 'spot' im just hoping the new lens turns up today, im only waiting for that and the battery pack now.

cheers mate and thanks for your help with this little project

simon

10. SAVAGE HMR

SAVAGE HMR Active Member

I'd quite like to see what your set-up looks like when it's finished mate.
    Great to see some footage too, see how it performs in the field.
    I've been thinking about making myself one of these for a while but I'm
    not sure I have the 'know how' to build it.
    I'm certainly not keen on paying for one of the ready built units at £400

11. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

Here you go. This video was shot with the lens set to about 20mm I would guess. I have since brought it back out to about 16mm which does let more light through and give an overall bett picture. Sadly havnt managed to nail a rat with the new setting but will post as soon as I do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seA3bBP0bN4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAzAQ_TjLr4

12. kenhawker

Has the postman been yet Simon?.

13. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

no ken, the lazy t--t dosent come now till mid afternoon.

anyway on another note how effective will the 24 led i/r array on the camera be as an illuminator?

as it seems daft binning it as i would of thought the current drain will be a lot less than my logun light.

any thoughts?

14. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

I dont think it'll give you any distance, as its the same as cctv on my house, only good to around 30-40ft

15. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

of course you have, both vids show a good hit, irrelivant if you found them or not,

16. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

I was sure I hit both of them in those vids. But what I ment was I havnt hit anything since I adjusted the lens on the camera.

Although after sitting out last night, I am questioning whether I hit the rat that ran off! I think he is the only one left under my shed now. I saw him last night (I think) and although it was pitch black he was so cautious of feeding on the bait I didnt get chance to get a shot on him. Nothing else would have made him this cautious I dont think.

I cant imagine that if that shot hit him in the head or neck that he would be alive now. I also am convinced that this over cautious rat is him!

Well now the challenge is set! Watch this space!

I will upload the video of him last night and you will see what I mean.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  17. kev1065

kev1065 Post Whore

ive hit rats too that seem to defy logic they get hit roll over then run away damn Hungarian rats lol

18. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

right well the last two bits have arrived and ive mounted the 16mm lens and that is mounted on the tube that goes over the eyebell end of the scope, the problem im now having though is focusing, i can foccus on a chimney so 80 odd yards away but its really blurry at 10-20ft , ive done the measuring at 16 inches from my face and got a crisp pic (surprised the camera works after that) but still struggling to acheive focus at close range also the distance from the eyebell to the camera is still about 8 inches which in an ideal world is too long.

also if i put epoxy resin on the circuit board is it likely to damage it?

any suggestions

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  19. kenhawker

What scope are you using bud.
    The cameras lens should be sitting where your eye would be. This is normally 3" from the scopes lens. Thats why I said you need a 3" spacer on the build instructions. When I added my 16mm fixed lens I only had to turn it by 3 turns.
    To help focus the camera take the rifle and lay it on its side, make sure you've the cam stripped so that you can turn the lens. Everything needs to be switched on. Lay the camera inline with the scope with the scope. You need to be able to turn the lens so that you can focus the cam lens to the crosshares. Now make the spacer to fit in the gap between the camera and the scope. Now reasemble. If you still having problems pm me your number and ile get back to you.

Ken

20. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

you are using a parellex scope ar'nt you?