1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice stripping an hw35.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Kobi, May 10, 2012.

1. Kobi

Kobi Well-Known Member

Hey folks, as some of you know I've been given an hw35 that needs some tlc. So tonight I'm gonna be stripping her back and seeing what the internals are like. Is their anything I need to watch out for? As in I don't wanna unscrew something then a spring fires across the room into the tv haha. I'll put up plenty pics of what I'm doing and you guys can point out if you see something that needs attention.

2. Egg

Egg Major Poster

You're not wrong there. When you unscrew the trigger block be aware that the mainspring may be under a fair bit of tension so when the block's fully unscrewed it might be pushed off with some force so get your weight behind it just in case: it's a solid lump of steel that could do some damage.

Also, when you remove the trigger unit, keep an eye out for the little spring that slips over the safety catch as it has a nasty habit of going where you least want/expect it to.

Dunno how much of a stripdown you're going for but the barrel hinge and latch is an area to watch out for - again, small springs in the latch and there should also be a couple of shims on the breech/inside the breech jaws where the large bolt passes through.

Anything stumps you then post up an SOS but TBH the gun's a doddle to strip and service ;)

3. Kobi

Kobi Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure how far I'm going myself either haha. Just see how how I feel. Might as well strip back the stock too and put oil on it or a satin varnish. Stay away from the glossy finish. I'll wear some safety glasses too. Keep an eye out for the postie Egg, he might have a box for you one day filled with a stripped down gun :D

4. Egg

Egg Major Poster

The finish on that stock looks not too bad TBH but it's a bit shiny like you say - maybe just a rub down with some fine paper to dull the shine, that'd also key the surface for a couple of coats of polyurethane satin. Pity it's not an HW35E - they had rather nice walnut stocks with a cheekpiece and pistol cap but meh! It's a freeby so gift horses, mouths and all that ;)

5. Kobi

Kobi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well i came home for lunch, thought i'd get started. Will take the stock to my workshop now and see what im gonna do. Any thoughts on painting them? Just had the should of matt black...just a thought haha:rolleyes:

6. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Hey - a Boogie Bug gaming pad same as mine! :D

You could spray paint the stock camo - would look nice :cool:

7. Kobi

Kobi Well-Known Member

Haha Egg, are you a PC gamer? Brilliant pads. Massive! I've actually got another one that I got free with my mouse.

Yeah I've thought more about it. Think I'll just put Danish oil on her. I've sanded a wee bit and took a pic, will post it when I'm home. Will get the rest sanded at the weekend.

8. Egg

Egg Major Poster

I am indeed mate and I also have a secondary backup :lol: They give you a tremendous amount of mouse real estate to play on (plus somewhere to roll "fags") - best mouse mat ever - EVER!

Let's see the end result of that stock. TBH the action looks to be in good nick so win! :up:

9. Kobi

Kobi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I didn't sand much, just that wee bit to see. To be fair, everything i can see right now, like the spring and the joints all look to be well greesed up. No rust or anything. Should i still take it apart to check?

[​IMG]

If i am taking it apart, what will the next step be, take the trigger block out? is that just a simple case of unscrewing the screw behind the trigger? Oh and also to double check, is the trigger block what im looking out for flying across the room?

10. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Looks like an Ox spring in there already mate :(

In order to get at the guts you need to undo the barrel/breech-block assembly first. Undo the barrel hinge bolt: one bit's a big bolt, the other bit's a slotted & threaded bolt head. Unscrew, take out, remove barrel but keep an eye out for the 2 shims - best to put them on the bolt so you know where they are come reassembly time.

Next you need to take the trigger block off but you need to remove the trigger unit first (http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/images/rekord-trigger-cocked.jpg) - there's 2 drift pins holding it in place which you tap out using a punch or similar. Then you remove the trigger unit - it's at this point the small safety spring decides to try and escape so watch out. Then you need to unscrew the block - a bit of steel bar with some cloth wrapped round the end is best for leverage; you put this in the space vacated by the trigger unit, cloth's there to protect the area where the trigger unit was.

11. Kobi

Kobi Well-Known Member

Noooo! not the Ox! Well not to worry, i'll leave the gun tonight and i'll work on the stock. strip it sunday then order parts monday.

12. andy draper

andy draper Post Whore

13. Kobi

Kobi Well-Known Member

Cheers andy, i totally forgot about that. Already had it saved in my faves. Well i underestimated the time it would take to sand that. Took 2 hours of solid sanding, my finger tips are agony haha. Its not 100% yet, but i'd say its a good 90% done.

[​IMG]

I'm gonna leave the side grooves varnished, think that might look alright. if not then it can be easily sanded once its finished.

14. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Looking good mate. Lob some Nitromors or similar in there and use a 5p to get into the groove Madonna style :D

15. Kobi

Kobi Well-Known Member

Right I've put an acid on her to clean it right up. Sadly its revealed a multitude of sins. Like proper deep stains that would take a very long time to sand out. I've got pics to show that I'll upload later. Now my options are to paint or stain again. I've got almost every wood coloured stain and some colours. The one I'm tempted for is a blue stain, looks nice and I should have enough for 2 coats. Or I can paint it. Again I've got almost every colour of paint under the sun. The joys of being a painter and decorator.

16. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Handy to know.... do you do homers?

17. Kobi

Kobi Well-Known Member

Haha I would if I had time. Sadly I'm lucky if I get a night to myself.

18. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Jeez, whatever happened to the jolly tradesman who would happily line your walls top to bottom for £5 and a Stephen's steak bridie?

Anyway - stop slacking off and get that gun stripped; dinnae be diverting your efforts into such fripperies as shellacking the stock or doing gold leaf inlay on the finger groove.

19. Kobi

Kobi Well-Known Member

ahahaha yeah, sadly those days are long gone....although that steak bridie does sound good! Well i made my decision, i stained her again. As tempting as the gold leaf was, i went to check with my girlfriends dad, see what he thought about the blue "Ah well its still my gun, you can just use it when you like" So i dont think i'll even bother changin the springs. Just means i'll have to see about getting my own gun! then i can fanny about with that. Anyway the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the blue stain i was going to do it with, would of given it afew coats so it would of been dark, but once the light was on it you'd see it was blue.

[​IMG]

But then i just went for some Teak stain
    [​IMG]

Will put some varnish on her later if she's dry enough.

20. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Looks like it'll come up a treat there mate.

So he got you with the old "Well, it's mine - cheers for working on it, borrow it any time I like." routine, eh? Typical Fifer - the Welsh of Scotland :lol:

Although the 35's a nice gun, assuming you're after a break-barrel springer a nicer (IMO) gun's the HW95k: I can't sing their praises enough mate. They're a more modern design than the HW35 and a bit lighter too and a more comfortable stock on them too.